Beta: the Pokécheck VS. Player (battle video parser)

Is there a way to register your battle videos or otherwise block them from viewing by the third party?

I'm participating in Wi-Fi tournaments hosted on various Pokemon sites, and VS. Player honestly ruins the entire experience for everyone of us. I already had a situation where some random asshole saved the video of a battle we had, showed it to his friend via VS Player, and then said friend proceeded to knock me out of tournament because he knew the ENTIRE SETS and EVs of the Pokemon I was going to use. Ridiculous.

I BEG you to do something about this... I can't enjoy the Wi-Fi tournaments in this state any more... :frown:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a way to register your battle videos or otherwise block them from viewing by the third party?

I'm participating in Wi-Fi tournaments hosted on various Pokemon sites, and VS. Player honestly ruins the entire experience for everyone of us. I already had a situation where some random asshole saved the video of a battle we had, showed it to his friend via VS Player, and then said friend proceeded to knock me out of tournament because he knew the ENTIRE SETS and EVs of the Pokemon I was going to use. Ridiculous.

I BEG you to do something about this... I can't enjoy the Wi-Fi tournaments in this state any more... :frown:

There's a japanese site that also takes a battle video and tells you what sets were used. That's an issue you should take up with the Pokemon site you participated at.

There's a japanese site that also takes a battle video and tells you what sets were used.

Well, the japanese site isn't very well known, so I'd be mostly safe even if it was only Pokecheck that allowed vid-blocking.

That's an issue you should take up with the Pokemon site you participated at.

Even if I told the hosts of the tournament about the cheating, they can't really prevent people from passing the video numbers behind the scenes. I only got to know about the scam because the guy who beat me told me about this. There is really no telling how many people know my team by now, and how many will know my future teams because of VS Player. And all they have to do to not get caught is to stay quiet...

Even if I told the hosts of the tournament about the cheating, they can't really prevent people from passing the video numbers behind the scenes. I only got to know about the scam because the guy who beat me told me about this. There is really no telling how many people know my team by now, and how many will know my future teams because of VS Player. And all they have to do to not get caught is to stay quiet...

Both participants can save battle videos. Even if privatization was allowed, your opponent could still print-screen and send an image to another person of the sets a player used. There's absolutely no point.

For official Nintendo VGC events, we do impair the system for the day of the event such that no new battle videos are able to be cached/viewed.

Knowing random moves =/= knowing every set of every Pokemon and the exact EV spreads used.

The fact that both parties can view their teams doesn't really help matters. It definitely removes the element of surprise, which is fundamental to competitive Pokemon, and arguably makes future battles unexciting, now that you know absolutely everything the opponent can possibly throw at you.

I can't think of many viable solutions though, other than removing the "show sets" window and keeping the battles strictly warstory-like...

• 2 weeks later...

I know the first post mention that single battles aren't supported, but there are other people posting singles and getting replied, so...

http://vsplayer.pokecheck.org/?bid=85-99788-60707

Turn 6 and 7: Intimidate isn't being factored (now and later on), the damage output makes it desync afterwards (turns 8~11)

Turn 19: Focus Blast not only hit, but it was a Critical Hit, leaving Munchlax with way low HP (in range to be killed by the following Ice Beam

Turn 21: Leaf Storm was also a Critical Hit, although it doesn't change the flow of battle

This site worked pretty well for me lately but I notice something might improve it :D

In this sentence, it says クレセリア is Cresselia, it's quite good because most of us dont know what does クレセリア mean (I dont even know if that's Japanese name or specie), and we only keep in my クレセリア's specie and almost dont pay any attention to the name.

RAYAD replaced LATIOS with クレセリア (level 50 Cresselia).

But, in those sentences, it doesn't mention about the specie of クレセリア. As I said before, this mean we have to look back to the previous sentences or keep reading til we see the avatar of クレセリア. It distract us from the development of the battle.

RAYAD's HEATRAN used Protect.
Rikka's Lunar Dial used Dragon Claw on クレセリア.
クレセリア lost 51 HP (22%).

I think put the specie after the Pokemon name's not a big deal in the code but it can help us a lot to view battles clearly.

Rikka's Lunar Dial[color="red"] (Garchomp) [/color]used Dragon Claw on クレセリア[color="red"](Cresselia)[/color].
クレセリア[color="red"] (Cresselia)[/color] lost 51 HP (22%).

One more thing, please put the Pokemon's conditions of the winner at the end if you can :).

http://vsplayer.pokecheck.org/?bid=10-80687-70699

Mandibuzz's Taunt on turn 2 prevents Light Screen from activating; by extension this means he failed all attempts to use Last Resort as all other moves must successfully activate first; missing/failing a move won't allow Last Resort to activate. That caused the player to bug from Turn 4 onwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorting actions by priority and speed...
Get stat(5) on Graveler = 36
Get stat(5) on Excadrill = 308
Get stat(5) on Ditto = 47
Next in speed: Excadrill
Next in speed: Ditto
Next in speed: Graveler
Resorting actions after turn start trigger...
Affected(10): Ditto
Scotty's Excadrill used Aerial Ace on Ditto.

Pretty sure it's just because when it transformed it didn't copy the speed stat over to Ditto. No speed tie ever happened :}

I made some updates to the VS. Player. I also looked at simulator implementations of some basic mechanisms (accuracy, speed resolution) and found that they are very far from being accurate (even the vsplayer code has wrong approximations and thus should not be used as reference at the moment).

It appears that the research article on Smogon must be extended to cover such mechanisms extensively, similarly to what was already done for damage calculation.

Without this effort I see little hope to have simulators sufficiently faithful to generate valid battle videos from logs (a process that is otherwise very straightforward and has been tested successfully for close to a year).

VS Player doesn't handle 0 Damage situations properly.

94-50101-05808

jFLru.png

It says in Turn 1 that Forretress lost 1 HP, but the bar displaying its HP dropping wasnt there (in-game it dealt 0 damage)

Then in this one the same issue occurs, as well as an additional one with Metal Burst.

88-74442-15336

4pBkX.png

It doesn't display the "not very effective" message for Metal Burst. When you Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst a 0 Damage attack, it's treated as a regular 1 BP move. Type effectiveness, Critical Hits, and Damage Rolls included.

Edited by V4Victini