Wiki group

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not sure that there's anything particular in mind that i would do, maybe a Faq about:

"Pokesav with Flash Carts"

Explaining how to use it with Pokesav, and if you encounter a problem, then it will even explain further on what methods to use to tackle the dilema.

Although I'm just bouncing random ideas popping into my head, i guess I'm just here if you need any help, or you can call it "Help When Needed"?

I think it would be best to avoid introducing new projects at the moment but I'll file the idea. I think we've spread ourselves to thin and we wont be able to be very productive. However, I will file any ideas you have and introduce them when we have less projects.

The data is the same, no matter what the source. Whether we get it from Smogon, Marriland, Serebii, rip it from the ROM, or pull a rabbit out of a hat with the data written on an index card in its mouth, the data will always be the same, unless someone makes a mistake.

We'd prefer if mistakes made by our members were due to mistakes made by us and not by Serebii.

For example, on this page http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/location/446.shtml#platinum and this page http://www.serebii.net/platinum/honeytrees.shtml (The following Pokémon are found on all Honey Trees dotted around Sinnoh. The location does not change the type of Pokémon or the rarity.)

Serebii makes people think anyone can get Munchlax in any tree with a 1% encounter rate. This is 100% falsification of information. That he wrote that tells me that he just invents stuff just to have something to say. There is no way someone can test and determine that its a 1% encounter rate at every tree. Firstly because its not and secondly because of the complexity of honey tree pokemon generation. So I don't trust Serebii at all, unless the info was given by me or Sabre (i.e., trainer data/names for platinum that he used for Pokearth).

Now, we never know what other information he's invented. So its best not to use Serebii at all.

So yes, the correct data is the same no matter where it comes from but people reading data have no idea if that is correct data or not.

We'd prefer if mistakes made by our members were due to mistakes made by us and not by Serebii.

For example, on this page http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/location/446.shtml#platinum and this page http://www.serebii.net/platinum/honeytrees.shtml (The following Pokémon are found on all Honey Trees dotted around Sinnoh. The location does not change the type of Pokémon or the rarity.)

Serebii makes people think anyone can get Munchlax in any tree with a 1% encounter rate. This is 100% falsification of information. That he wrote that tells me that he just invents stuff just to have something to say. There is no way someone can test and determine that its a 1% encounter rate at every tree. Firstly because its not and secondly because of the complexity of honey tree pokemon generation. So I don't trust Serebii at all, unless the info was given by me or Sabre (i.e., trainer data/names for platinum that he used for Pokearth).

Now, we never know what other information he's invented. So its best not to use Serebii at all.

So yes, the correct data is the same no matter where it comes from but people reading data have no idea if that is correct data or not.

Thank you! Its not always the best of resource...

I guess for the group its ok to use it but it would be great if you double checked somewhere else or better yet did your own in game research.

Thank you! Its not always the best of resource...

I guess for the group its ok to use it but it would be great if you double checked somewhere else or better yet did your own in game research.

Double checking doesn't really work, because other people might just copy serebii. So you can find 10+ sites with the same wrong information. And yes, own research is always preferred.

Double checking doesn't really work, because other people might just copy serebii. So you can find 10+ sites with the same wrong information. And yes, own research is always preferred.

Never thought of it that way but there are always some honest people out there. Plus there is nothing wrong with doing your own research and blazing a new path in pokemon discoveries.

I was thinking we could make a page on special edition Pokemon systems. Like the Pokemon Mini, or the Pokect GS Pikachu. Not many people know about it, so these pages could be very useful for people who stumble upon it. I'll start up a page later, if anyone wants to help PM me.

Ah! Floot! I was hoping we could hold off on new projects for now and I'll file it for reintroduction later on. (of course I cant stop you) We have so many other in big projects to deal with at the moment couldn't you find one of them to help with?

I can do that...bob...anyway has anyone checked out my update. There are some specific jobs now...I think I'm going to make something new in the wiki group page. Check it out please I haven't gotten any feedback about it and I'm worrying that no one saw it.

Wouldn't serebii ization also be taking exact data from their site? Why would we want to do that..dont you think that's a tad bit of serebii ization?

I'm sure this is pages old/already resolved, but there is nothing wrong with using another site as a source. It's a Wiki. It's goal is information. And if someone else has that information, they should be credited if we put it in an article(s).

That being said, a LOT of stuff can be done independent of what Joe has already done. For example, we already have our own Dex to refer to. It's the same info as Joe's since his Dex source is also the games. And anime episodes/screen caps are simply doing it ourselves instead of relying on Joe.

But Serebii.net has been around a long time and has some great content/features, maybe even exclusive. When it comes to that, it should be credited.

Yeah, Serebii has gotten stuff wrong before (the event page seems to chronicly be out of date and/or wrong), along with some accusations of theft. It shouldn't be THE source to go to, nor should any other site. But if a site is the origin of something, they should be credited.

Anyway, I hope to work on some anime related articles in the near future. I've got episodes to watch, and then also compare Dub vs Raw. It should be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...