BWME Color Glitch

Anyone know why the B/W mugshots' colors get corrupted in-game? So far when I edit the NPC mugshots, the custom mugshots are fine, but when I edit the protagonist mugshots, the customs mughots always mess up in color. There was only 1 time when it actually worked (though there was still slight color corruption above the head). However, when I decide to re-edit the mugshot by reshaping it because it was slightly thick, I put it back in the game and the color corruption grew worst by having it all at the bottom of the face which looks ugly :mad:.

I tried using a different .narc file, it did the same. I think I also tried it on a different ROM which also gave me the same results. When I look at the mugshot in BWME it still looks fine, but it looks fragged in-game :confused:. It's as if the game doesn't code them correctly when inserting them into the .narc file or the ROM.

I haven't toyed with it myself, but there may be a color palette limit to be worried about since you're saying it messes up in color. If you use colors that aren't part of the palette or use too many, that could easily explain why they don't turn out right.

I haven't toyed with it myself, but there may be a color palette limit to be worried about since you're saying it messes up in color. If you use colors that aren't part of the palette or use too many, that could easily explain why they don't turn out right.

So I have to change the palette's coloring to one that is similar to the mugshot?

I remember reading something along the lines that there is a palette file that can be changed, like you have the actual mugshot sprite and a file that tells it what colors can be used, but this may have just been an idea that was tossed around while people tried to figure this out. I highly recommend reading the thread where you got this tool, it may hold some answers.

I remember reading something along the lines that there is a palette file that can be changed, like you have the actual mugshot sprite and a file that tells it what colors can be used, but this may have just been an idea that was tossed around while people tried to figure this out. I highly recommend reading the thread where you got this tool, it may hold some answers.

The tool I got it at one of KazoWAR's tutorial vids on YouTube. There was no information on the comments. However, I did check the thread where the tool was being given out. Some guy there had a similar problem, but his was only the 2 NPC mugshots that are said to have over a 16-color limit (Bianca & Lenora, 18 colors). But my problem is with the protagonist mugshots. Also, a guy called Andibad said that the reason for that glitch was because the filesize is either smaller or bigger, but mine's was not. It was exactly the same size as the original mugshot. Further more, I made sure that the mugshot was within the 16-color limit. But like I said before, my mugshot has worked before. It was after re-editing it that caused it to corrupt. And the colors had nothing to do with the changes I made.

What you need to do is replace the pixels when you're editing using colours that already exist on the palette for the sprite you're replacing. Don't use any other colours at all, and make sure the colours you use are all exactly the same as their colours on the original image. Then, after you've done that, you can edit the palette file itself to get custom colours. Or, at least, this is how I'd assume you'd do it - the Pokémon battle sprites work this way. For example, if you want to make a character in the place of the female protagonist and you want them to have a green hat, or whatever, then you create their hat using the shade of pink that the existing protagonist has on their hat, and then you edit the palette file to change the pink to green. You can use ConsoleTool3 to edit the palettes.

The only information you'll need to find out from somewhere else is where the palettes are located. As soon as you know where they are you can edit them in CT3. If you have any problems or want help using CT3 then PM me.

i think BWME is no have function to handle to change color depth. default for mugshot is just 16 colour. see here for detail about ncgr format (structure). if not you must used 15 color only! (1 for alpha color total 16 color).

on char section, Bit Depth is on offset : 0x000C. is have 2 option 3 or 4. 3 for 4 bit, and 4 for 8 bit. 4 bit color is 0 - 15 color total 16 color include alpha color if is defined on system. if that not change it will make you sprite is glitched. change that byte on both ncgr and nclr. for nclr is on pallete section on offset : 0x0008. is just my theory. i recommend must not change size sprite, kept on original. for nclr document in here ;) . something is have just 1 nclr file but have 10 ncgr, that ncgr file using color indexing on 1 nclr so is seems just have 1 nclr.

console tools maybe help you a lot about nclr file, you can see here to download ;)

on first nclr file, is have 2 pallete defined, pallete #0 and #15. but weird nclr on pokemon BW is not have colour map section on nclr. 1 color used 2 byte. every nclr will used 512 byte for color mapping only. 552 byte for all structure size.

on photoshop was have feature to indexing pallete so you not worried about color indexing, because you can give limit color on pallete (you can export them and import from CrystalTile2). or you can create nclr file using HEX editor xD if you was know about nclr structure and ncgr structure.

if you lazy, using PNGOptimer , replace pallete from png file and replace with file export from photoshop or siilar tools~. actually BWSE is work fine about replacing color.

wait.... for size of sprite, is can resized but is up to you, it will messed with another sprite on game. since is no have nscr or ncer file, is hard to reposition sprite to another position (you can't to much change for size) , since is was fixed by system.

sorry i no have time to post with image.

• 1 month later...
What you need to do is replace the pixels when you're editing using colours that already exist on the palette for the sprite you're replacing. Don't use any other colours at all, and make sure the colours you use are all exactly the same as their colours on the original image. Then, after you've done that, you can edit the palette file itself to get custom colours. Or, at least, this is how I'd assume you'd do it - the Pokémon battle sprites work this way. For example, if you want to make a character in the place of the female protagonist and you want them to have a green hat, or whatever, then you create their hat using the shade of pink that the existing protagonist has on their hat, and then you edit the palette file to change the pink to green. You can use ConsoleTool3 to edit the palettes.

The only information you'll need to find out from somewhere else is where the palettes are located. As soon as you know where they are you can edit them in CT3. If you have any problems or want help using CT3 then PM me.

Hmm... I remember trying something like that on TweakPNG. Though it has completely backfired on me, it might have something to do with the order of the colors placed in the palette. However, it's also unlikely, because I forgot to point out that the mugshot's colors in-game are only corrupted in certain areas of the image, not the entire image itself. In fact, wherever the colors are NOT corrupted are still intact, which is most of the image.