B/W Champion Music

Jacusiek

Ok, I've prepared a step-by-step tutorial for you:

1. Extract the file "wb_sound_data.sdat" from the game and open it with a hex editor.

2. Go to offset 0x256B4 and replace "A047 1200 0440" with "0032 1700 443F".

3. Go to offset 0x18B88 and replace "7004 5E1E" with "8D04 5C1E".

4. Save the file.

5. Reinsert the file to the game and save the modified game.

6. Enjoy!

To make Champion music - Kanto Champion Music (Gary) I used programm CrystalTile2, which you can find here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/818/. With this programm you don't have to extract files, you can just edit HEX. First open CrystalTile2, then open the room. On the screen you have HEX editor. Then you press CTRL + F (or choose from menu Search - Find) and you type "A047 1200 0440" (there is only one that, so you don't need to check if it is 0x256B4 offset). Then you rewrite it with "0032 1700 443F" The same with 3rd point (replace "7004 5E1E" with "8D04 5C1E".). Press X and when you want to exit programm it asks you if you want to save that. Press Yes untill the programm will be closed. That's all, I hope you understand ;d

That's pretty cool. May I ask where to find wb_sound_data.sdat ?

Might I also ask, if possible, how to replace the music in the battle with Caitlin, to be Battle against Cynthia? I suspect that it may not be fully possible due to it being an Elite Four theme, rather than per E4 member

Why do you say it may not be fully possible? IT IS POSSIBLE AND EASY.

I know how to do it for Gen. IV and I guess it's the same (or similar) in Gen. V, so it won't be difficult to hack. The only thing I need is a day or so until I find the table. Thank you :)

EDIT: So far it seems that BW use a different format. I'm sorry, but I won't research further in this area for now, as I have other things to do. I'll leave you some data, though (in hex):

Elite Four Battle: 046F

Champion Battle: 0470

Cynthia Battle: 0479

"Kanto Champion" Battle: 048D

These are the internal values for each song. In DP, there's a table of data that sets values like these to each trainer class and pokémon, and changing them leads to custom battle music without touching the SDAT file. Try looking for bytes that look similar and replace them, you'll probably end up finding what you want :)

Markitus95, can You help me one more time? I wan to edit (with hex) that if your pokemon has got red hp, the special music plays. I want to change it, so that music doesn't play, plays the normal, battle music (Eg. I fight with champion, my pokemon has red HP, but there's champion music, not that special music). How to do it?

I will research everything I can. I suspect my stuff may be a bit tricky, since I want to replace Caitlin with Cynthia (in the Elite Four), and Cynthia with a version of Pokemon Trainer Red. E4 Cynthia would have her theme and Red would have the Kanto Theme. Could be a bit tricky but well worth looking into

• 3 weeks later...

I was also interested in replacing Alder's theme with the Kanto Champion theme, so thanks for posting this; it's a shame that you can't hear it in-game normally (at least to my knowledge, you can't) because it's an awesome remix. Also, could you please tell me how replace the rival battle theme with Alder's battle theme ?

i just help you a bit (yeah i have free time to write this xD, i come back xD)

Markitus95, can You help me one more time? I wan to edit (with hex) that if your pokemon has got red hp, the special music plays. I want to change it, so that music doesn't play, plays the normal, battle music (Eg. I fight with champion, my pokemon has red HP, but there's champion music, not that special music). How to do it?
I was also interested in replacing Alder's theme with the Kanto Champion theme, so thanks for posting this; it's a shame that you can't hear it in-game normally (at least to my knowledge, you can't) because it's an awesome remix. Also, could you please tell me how replace the rival battle theme with Alder's battle theme ?

let's see markitus95 say means :

A047 1200 0440

bold one is a offset for sseq file (remember is flipped!) A0 47 12 00 --> 00 12 47 A0 (absolute path on CT2... , see image bellow : )

v2Pul.jpg

so if you want it another SSEQ just used absolute path and try find that, i don't know about what 0440 mean .... maybe is for sbnk file? owo

If you know, is 16 bit format... " 00000000A04712000440000000000000 " so you must replace all on that set.

0wJ73.jpg

EDIT: So far it seems that BW use a different format. I'm sorry, but I won't research further in this area for now, as I have other things to do. I'll leave you some data, though (in hex):

Elite Four Battle: 046F

Champion Battle: 0470

Cynthia Battle: 0479

"Kanto Champion" Battle: 048D

example champion battle "0470" flip that ID into 7004 and you will found :

this used 12 bit format like this : "70045E1E4000000086000000" but you just need replace 4 bit on first only.....

ow i almost forgot how to get that ID? ok let's see this image again :

v2Pul.jpg

see on list information, and look "139-0470-......." bold one is id for trainer or event ;)

#i'm trying fixed that because is unclear.... and you can try it on another sseq file ;) okay xD

I hope help you for re-arrange that ;) but is not for "replacing" with another music not from sdat itselft.

PS: i not explain all, i think is very clear to do ....

Ooh, how did you get http://www.urimage.net/images/v2Pul.jpg - that image, did you use a program or? I would be interested in looking through it to see if each E4 member has a separate value attached.

bold one is a offset for sseq file (remember is flipped!) A0 47 12 00 --> 00 12 47 A0 (absolute path on CT2... , see image bellow : )

program? is CT2 crystaltile2... bold one ...

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. I already know the basic steps. (From Markitus95)

1. Extract the file "wb_sound_data.sdat" from the game and open it with a hex editor.

4. Save the file.

5. Reinsert the file to the game and save the modified game.

6. Enjoy!

Could you just substitute the hex values in steps 2 and 3 with the values needed in order to replace the rival battle theme (when battling Cheren and Bianca) with the champion battle theme (when battling Alder)?

For Example:

2. Go to offset _______ and replace "____ ____ ____" with "____ ____ ____".

3. Go to offset _______ and replace "____ ____" with "____ ____".

The is the only change I want to make to the in-game music.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but the information in here is very useful.

I was giving it a go in B2W2 and I sort of got it to work, but I wasn't able to find how to do the complete change as I wasn't sure how to get the equivalent of the second string.

In other words, I was trying to change the Iris music to Cynthia's (PWT one) for a test. I found the equivalent to the "A047 1200 0440" that Mariktus said, but I had no idea how to go about finding the "7004 5E1E" part. The 7004 thing is obvious enough, but how do you figure the next two bytes out? I couldn't see 5E1E -> 1E 5E -> 7774 anywhere notable and the .sdat file is far too large to trawl through hoping to find a lucky string.

tl;dr How was the 5E1E determined in "7004 5E1E" in Mariktus' explanation?

Sorry to bump an old thread but the information in here is very useful.

tl;dr How was the 5E1E determined in "7004 5E1E" in Mariktus' explanation?

just see this image ;)

Untitled.png

step 1 " changing absolute path" :

A047 1200 0440 --> 001247A0 see on absolute path, 0440 --> 4004 : 16388 (file size of sseq file)

PS: if you want change with another sseq is not same size (from outside sdat file), it will break the sdat table. solution : rebuild the table, it will work fine.

step 2 " changing music sdat table" :

7004 5E1E

7004 is 1 string, 5E1E is two string == 5E and 1E.

7004 ---> 0470 is on row 2 (see CT2), 5E --> 94 is on row 3 , and 1E --> 30 is on row 4 (always same)

actually is easy :P

Yeah. o.oa

I thought at first I knew what was going on, but that post just confused me more, haha. It's okay, I don't particularly want to change the music around... though... I think every hack ought to have at least one place where THIS is played:

I don't think it's in BW2... but adding it back in shouldn't be a big deal, right? I mean... it's awesome. I guess it's just as good as the one in BW2, but I love the deep, foreboding intro :>

I don't think it's in BW2... but adding it back in shouldn't be a big deal, right? I mean... it's awesome. I guess it's just as good as the one in BW2, but I love the deep, foreboding intro :>

SEQ_BGM_VS_WCS is same filename on both version (BW / BW2)

actually is no needed reinsert from BW 1, actually BW 2 is same as BW 1 with extend new BGM.... and also new offset. ops some BGM from BW is removed on BW 2 =P

absolute path : 00181680 --> 8016 1800

size : 16196 --> 3F44 --> 443F

so combined these byte : 8016 1800 443F is on offset : 00031890

second part ....

list information for that :

166-0477-092-030-064-000 (bold one is still same as BW1 O.o)

0477 --> 7704 and 5C 1E

it will be ==> 7704 5C1E

8016 1800 443F and 7704 5C1E is for WCS O.o

4088 2300 8C3D and EC04 7F1E is for iris

example replacing champion iris BW2 with WCS...

1. replacing "EC04 7F1E" with "7704 5C1E" is on offset : 00021600

2. replacing "4088 2300 8C3D" with "8016 1800 443F" is on offset : 00031EA0

it will changing iris champion BGM with WCS XP

Edited by Andibad

Andi, I love you. Thank you very much for answering!

From what I can see there's still only one entry for the path/table for each song, so I guess having each Elite Four with a separate song and the like might be out of the question. Still, nice to know how to swap the music without needing to reinsert things. This might be useful in the future...