gym leaders in D/P

pokemonfan

What's wrong with gardenia's outfit? They're to weak. If you put in some training time you can easily out level them and crush them. Plus you can easily find a pokemon with a type advantage over it and come in to destroy it. The gym leaders could at least put up a fight. like knowing moves that can cover their weaknesses like that blasted infernape. Why dont you attack one gym leader that you think is the toughest and then I'm forced to defend my case. Why dont you do that so we're not all over the place with gyms. Which gym do you think is the toughest?

Gardenia's outfit = clashy and fail. Erika is where all the good is at :D

You may think so... but it's coming from you, someone who already knows weaknesses an whatnot. Even when you didn't, you still had a challenge, I'm pretty sure. I realize, there are many parts where the gym leaders "fail"... but they're not necessarily too easy. Volkner was fail for me... I swept with Garchomp... but now you see why. Not everyone is prepared for a battle like you are anyways. There are times you can actually lose. For example, the first gym was pretty tough for Piplup too. Bubble was all he got... and Metal Claw was worthless against these rock-hard Pokes. Second gym leader was pretty difficult too. Roserade was a nuisance, although the other Pokemon were pushovers. Third gym leader (in this case Fantina) and her Mismagius... oh boy. Wouldn't you like to know how terribly strong that thing was? You didn't have access to much Ghost or Dark moves either aside from Luxio, and even then it wasn't so great. If you had Gastly, it was still weak to Ghost attacks. You have no access to Murkrow in Platinum either. Fourth gym... that Lucario was pretty tough, although Scyther took down the first two Pokes. Fifth gym was a bit annoying, and I was forced to use many Super Potions because most of my Pokes were slower than Floatzel... and Brine would have killed me. Sixth gym... I only flushed Byron out because I had the right Pokes. Had I used other Pokes... oh boy... that Bastiodon's Metal Burst would have done me in. Seventh gym was one of the hardest gyms for me. Only Vaporeon and Empoleon survived. Eighth gym was only a pushover because of my Garchomp... but that was it.

The bottom line is... if you know what to use, then you can easily win. But even then, they do have ways to cover their weaknesses. Gym Leaders aren't always pushovers you know. Even with the right Pokes, sometimes, stuff like hax on Candice's Froslass can screw you over.

Well piplup with bubble, still it can defeat plus dont forget about budew! Budew's absorb says high to that pathetic geodude. Gardenia's roserade is annoying and probably one of my least favorite gym pokes ever! However, my fire type (monferno hehe) swept through all three of her pokes (plus I had a team of flying types and pokemon that new flying attacks) behind me if my infernape fell to roserade for some reason. Fantina might be the only "tough" gym leader in the game because there is no access to good pokemon type advantages. However, Luxio, haha there is use, says high on this one with his dark type move bite. Also, dont forget the ever wonderful buneary with the move foresight coming up and being immune to ghost attacks and then hitting hard with normal power! Also, Lucario! Pushover! Really drifblim says hi...with gust and ghost attacks. Dont forget about gengar and alakazam or their pre evos. In platinum I struggled with wake because I was used to them being underleveled and I hated training back before I beat platinum so my team was so underleveled. Thank goodness you can catch rotom earlier because if it wasn't for his electric attacks floatzel would've owned me with brine. See how you said the 6th gym was easy because you had the right pokes. If you have the right pokes and plan you can KO any of the gym's team.

I can see why the last 7th gym can be tough but the ice weakness is so obvious...I dont know how...I mean even I understood that back when I new nothing about pokemon..naturally fire beats ice so that's obvious. The 8th gym...please such an obvious weakness makes that gym laughable. A decent ground type like garchomp can sweep through those poor electric pokes.

Edit: Thank you hottsushiz beating the E4 was far more rewarding.

Absorb still sucks, but yes, Budew can beat it... but that Cranidos is devastating. Trust me... one land from that hurts.

Well there. See? You had Monferno. I had a Prinplup... so you were in a different situation. Starly could have done it... and even Zubat, but still, that Roserade is tough.

Fantina was no pushover. She was the real deal. I liked her Pokemon very much actually. But even Luxio can fall if not trained right. Mismagius was terribly difficult for that time.

Lucario wasn't exactly a pushover. He put a LOT of hurting. But yes, he was frail... but if you were unprepared, he's still kinda tough.

My Rotom was underleveled before Wake. I beat Crasher Wake with Roserade...

Lack of fire pokemon says hi. Sinnoh has VERY little Fire pokemon... and even Fighting Pokemon can still be hurt a lot. That Abomasnow did me in because of hail... and Froslass's Snow Cloak hax. She is NO pushover. Staraptor WILL die to Ice... even with Close Combat.

8th gym isn't laughable either. I wish it were, but Electivire's pretty tough... and their single weakness (EQ) isn't readily available either. Thank goodness for Garchomp... I restarted b/c it got boring and I beat him again with Roserade :P

You had a Fire poke... now do it again without Infernape. Pick Piplup and see how well you fare. -__-

Hey! I battled through my first pearl with piplup/evos and platinum with piplup/evos and you know how much I hate the flaming ape! I just wanted to see what it was like playing through the game practically unbeatable. And as for the lack of fire types...

Houndoom/houndor was added in platinum

Flareon? Come on Flareon was added before national dex as well in platinum

Rapidash/ponyta

Chimchar and evos :(

Those are pretty good fire types. I mean when there are fire types they're good. Rapidash is fast rapidly dashing. Flareon with flash fire. Houndoom/houndor with two types. You know how good infernape is...do I need to say more. All you have to do is be prepared to beat down the gyms.

As much as I love Flareon, she blows :(

Houndour is okay, but I haven't used him. So for people who use Water pokes like me, it's a bigger challenge.

I was never able to find Magmar... because I haven't been around Fuego Ironworks.

Ponyta takes FOREVER to evolve. Level 40? Seriously?

But still, Fire pokemon are a scarcity and the only one worth using is Infernape. He makes the game WAY too easy >.>

Oh, I forgot about the magmar addition...he is probably one of the best fire pokes you can catch in sinnoh because he evolves into magmortar. I'm bias towards water types as well I love the little fishies! If it has anything to do towards elements then I'm going to choose water as the fave! I just love the water element. I dont know why. Maybe its because I always loved watching water benders on avatar the last air bender? maybe? Anyways...you cant deny infernape's usefulness and neither can I. It does make it easier but you can still beat the gyms easily if you train your pokes properly to take down the gyms. I mean its not that hard. Sometimes you end up over training.

... which is WHY if you want a CHALLENGE, do NOT get Infernape! I'm going to do another run in this game... and do a Grass Pokemon only thing. Basically, if you want to have a difficult game, why not pick something NOT so easy as Infernape? Get the point, PF?

It's quite simple. Pick the penguin this time... and see how "easy" it gets. I'm sure you used Infernape for most of your gameplay.

What...no! After I got drifloon it was all the balloon time! Plus my gengar and drifblim are higher in level then infernape and mismagius is pretty close. I'm planning on beating fantina with her own medicine! I see your point but its to easy if you're playing to beat the game the first time through.

I have picked the penguin...twice! I do love my empoleon and its my highest pokemon at a level 94. I've trained it well :) I adore it and I will cherish it over my infernape any day. You can choose different pokes to make it harder but if you're playing to win why make it hard on yourself. I see your point do you see mine?

Believe me... I don't think it's making it hard for yourself is the issue here. I think it's the "this game is meant for kids" thing... but I still found some challenging... although many were pushovers. But that's what in-game is all about... and I believe that wasn't the purpose of this game. It's the competitive part that comes after...

Well, then. Try picking someone NOT named Chimchar. Good luck...

And Pachirisu and Luxray are not good. >.>

Chimchar only makes the game easier if you give him the proper moves, like Earthquake/Close combat, flamethrower, grassknot and Thunderpunch. Most people keep him with like Mach punch, Close combat, Flare blitz and Taunt/aerial ace/Grassknot :F

Also, Assuming you have a type advantage for every gym and are the same level none of them are difficult, I beat the entire game with a gyarados simply because Stone edge/Waterfall/Ice fang and Dragon dance RAPED everything. After 2 DD's at level 60 he 2 shots every elite four member that he cant score super effective hits on and have high enough defense to take one of his attacks. One shotting everyone else.

Chimchar only makes the game easier if you give him the proper moves, like Earthquake/Close combat, flamethrower, grassknot and Thunderpunch. Most people keep him with like Mach punch, Close combat, Flare blitz and Taunt/aerial ace/Grassknot :F

Also, Assuming you have a type advantage for every gym and are the same level none of them are difficult, I beat the entire game with a gyarados simply because Stone edge/Waterfall/Ice fang and Dragon dance RAPED everything. After 2 DD's at level 60 he 2 shots every elite four member that he cant score super effective hits on and have high enough defense to take one of his attacks. One shotting everyone else.

Nice :P

I have NEVER seen Infernapes with Taunt. Most in-game people like to stick with giving him offensive moves and it usually does help.

I haven't tried Gyarados in-game, but setting up is a lot easier in-game, so that's quite awesome.

Edited by wraith89

That may be so, but dont you think its a bit too easy?

That's why so many of us have wanted difficulty levels for years. When I play games, I want to be challenged, entertained, for hours on end. Of course, with my record so far (Coming onto 500 hours in 4th gen alone!) I'm not quite sure how that happened...I haven't been challenged with Pokemon since I was a kid. Because once you get the game mechanics down (Oh, electric takes out water, water take out fire, etc.) you're golden.

Of course, one thing I am very glad for is that GameFreak hasn't bought into: placing innuendoes through every inch of storyline just to make money. =/ That sickens me to no end.

Haha thats true.

You should check out Monster Hunter freedom 2 for the Psp than, it's by far easily my favorite game so far, Although that spot may soon be replaced with MH freedom unite which is an English port of MH Portable second G an extension to MH freedom 2 that adds in more places, wyverns and items.

it provides hours of fun and is a real challenge of a game. There are no sexual innuendo's, but the game does have a few comic moments and armors you can equip. A large selection of monsters ranging from tiny talking cats to Wyverns who's head is as large as your body, with everything else matching that size.

The only problem with it is that A: Psp screen is too small and B: There isn't that much of a story.

But it has multiplayer with up to four people, huge epic quests and a rather nice music score to go along with the scope of most missions.

I was going to give my infernape thunderpunch, earthquake, grass knot, and flamethrower. I battled my sis yesterday just because...my level 36 infernape and her level 43 infernape had a stare down and guess who won...hers...but it was close! She foolishly used flamewheel twice on me (she didn't want too the second time but she did anyway) and I landed two closecombats...and if it wasn't for her stupid shell bell she would've perished. She had one freaking HP point left because of that shell bell...if it wasn't for that she would've died on the second closecombat. Then she switched out so did I..I sent out cherrim she sent out the ditto I gave her..she had a one level advantage and eventually killed my cherrim because mine got hurt in confusion hers was confused but wasn't hurt. Then I sent in infernape and owned it. Then in came her infernape and this really bugged me. Those close combats came back to bite me in the butt. My defense was low enough now and she outsped me so when I used mach punch and she did she went first and KO'd me even with the lack of super effectiveness and I had resistance. If it wasn't for that stupid close combat side effect I could've beaten her infernape with one that was 7 levels lower! Then I sent in gengar and seriously owned it. I won eventually because gengar defeated her luxray (I almost put drifblim out there but then I remembered his weakness) she got lucky with her infernape. Since she had 3 good pokemon....infernape, ditto, and luxray (based on levels) and her infernape managed to take down 3, ditto one, and luxray was destroyed by gengar. It came down to my two ghosts. I didn't think infernape would be first so that ruined my ambipom strategy...If it wasn't for infernape it would've been a total win for me. Its the last time I underestimate that thing...infernape is so over powered its just wrong! no fire pokemon should be able to be that powerful. At least no single pokemon...especially a flaming monkey...

Actually they're not all on infernape yet because I haven't bothered to trade it over to platinum and get earthquake and thunder punch on it. Plus I haven't come across the TMs needed and thunder punch is platinum only and that is on my pearl game. Yet I know the right moves...I study the pokemon I hate and love.