Is it okay if I take some time to have a personal rant

Aster Selene

I have recently gotten into Pokemon games quite a lot. I also want to buy a 3DS in June or so. I have followed the train-of-thought logic that future Pokemon games – perhaps even in the future – will be on the 3DS.

The problem is – I have been deadest on the goal of the complete Pokedex, and am damn near close to it too. This means 649 Pokemon I have to maintain. I’m also very fond of the Pokesav/Pokegen programs – granted I do very little other than check IV/EV and tweak minor insignificant things, but the lack of access to those minor insignificant things will always bug me.

I’ve come to the conclusion the 3DS will never be hacked. I was really young when the regular DS came out and I, not knowing much about the “internet” or “forums” didn’t know how long it took to hack and make flashcarts for it, but I know the 3DS hacking is taking a damn long time and have pessimistically decided the 3DS will never be hacked or emulated, meaning there can’t exist things like Pokesav/Pokegen. On top of that I’m having doubts about Action Replay availability for the 3DS as well.

When the Pokemon games that come out on the 3DS do come out, I know that this is going to drive me absolutely nuts and and and and and and just AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Okay.....

I don't know what to tell ya?

Every single 4th and 5th gen game can still be played on the old DS Phat. I never recommend buying a console for what MIGHT come out in the future. Only buy it if you want the console for the games and features you can use RIGHT NOW would be my advice.

and have pessimistically decided the 3DS will never be hacked or emulated, meaning there can’t exist things like Pokesav/Pokegen

Citation needed.

Every video game system to date has been hacked/emulated, the only reason the 3DS would be an exception would be because not enough people are interested enough to care. Given that the 3DS, unlike the normal DS, has an SD card slot (which may or may not be able to back up your save games like on the Wii, but I wouldn't be surprised), if/when they release a 3DS pokemon game, I would imagine the creation of save-file editors will be easier, not more difficult.

This definitely did not belong in "Game Enhancements", so I've chosen "General Gaming" as a more suitable place for it.

Given that the 3DS, unlike the normal DS, has an SD card slot (which may or may not be able to back up your save games like on the Wii, but I wouldn't be surprised), if/when they release a 3DS pokemon game, I would imagine the creation of save-file editors will be easier, not more difficult.

I don't think there are any plans to write save data to these cards... I'm guessing they'll just keep on using flash memory in the game cards themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have an Acekard 2i, and I can vouch that it works on the 3DS...

It doesn't run in 3DS mode though, all they've managed is DSi mode at this point...but that's good enough for your save issues at the moment, especially since Black 2 and White 2 are DS-exclusive, so they'll work with DSi-mode flashcarts...

...but don't worry about it not being hacked, it hasn't even been out for a year yet...that, and there hasn't been many good games yet...