PPSE: Can you add feature ______? - POST HERE

Sabresite

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On that note, you said that saving data back to the save file would be handled exactly as it is in-game (as detailed on the wiki page). But how about loading data from a file? Will you handle the file errors like the game does (telling the user that the file is corrupt), or will you offer a data and/or checksum repair option?

It seems like the checksum fix might be all that's worth the effort, but eh.

Read through the list and I don't know if I missed anything, but, what if you could allow the program to open new tabs for two or more save files? I have three save files and whenever I want to extract Pokémon to put into the other save file, I have to open 3 pokesav's. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by either having to open another pokesav. Again, sorry if this has already been requested.

I imagine that functionality will come out of the Pokémon Manager / "iTunes for Pokémon" feature Sabresite is adding to PokéMod. Although, to be honest, I haven't heard many details about that yet....

CodeMonkey you are exactly right. If you need to handle Pokemon in mass numbers separate from the SAV file, you can use the Pokemon Manager.

I apologise if its already on the list but I would really like a search feature allowing you to search your storage for the best pokemon meeting input requirements.

This would be useful for people who breed the same pokemon repeatedly trying to get good stats. Maybe being able to input a set of fitness requirements i.e Attack 100% important, Special Attack 0% important, hidden power: grass ect and have the program rate the values and give you the top 5.

I know this is not a good place to post this, though I am a new member and have little time but I would be willing to assist with the coding. I have about 2 years experence as a software developer.

I think there should be a screen keyboard for typing odd stuff like Japanese kana, the card suits, and that sort of stuff into name areas.

Also, Eng and Jap games have a different font for their English characters, and separate values for them.

I have a partial list of the Hex values made somewhere, if you want it.

I apologise if its already on the list but I would really like a search feature allowing you to search your storage for the best pokemon meeting input requirements.

This would be useful for people who breed the same pokemon repeatedly trying to get good stats. Maybe being able to input a set of fitness requirements i.e Attack 100% important, Special Attack 0% important, hidden power: grass ect and have the program rate the values and give you the top 5.

I know this is not a good place to post this, though I am a new member and have little time but I would be willing to assist with the coding. I have about 2 years experence as a software developer.

For bred pokemon the IVs can be anything, and so can the PID. If a person wants to make sure its 100% legal, I will try and include IRNG information, but that would be a waste of time since it doesn't serve as a point of legality.

I think there should be a screen keyboard for typing odd stuff like Japanese kana, the card suits, and that sort of stuff into name areas.

Also, Eng and Jap games have a different font for their English characters, and separate values for them.

There will be a symbol table (aka Character Map). If you change windows to use a keyboard from another country, that works too.

Just to add to this, Sabresite has all of the hex values for all of the characters for all languages, and someone (Kazumi I think?) created a Windows font based on the DS font set.

If it's all right to share the list (i.e. is it all right Sabre?), I have a copy of the Unicode <--> DS character conversion table, and another file that lists the characters and the hex values, which I would gladly PM you if you want them.

EDIT: By the way, any ideas yet on how you will handle save file errors?

Edited by codemonkey85
Re-adding my question.

Just to add to this, Sabresite has all of the hex values for all of the characters for all languages, and someone (Kazumi I think?) created a Windows font based on the DS font set.

If it's all right to share the list (i.e. is it all right Sabre?), I have a copy of the Unicode <--> DS character conversion table, and another file that lists the characters and the hex values, which I would gladly PM you if you want them.

EDIT: By the way, any ideas yet on how you will handle save file errors?

Sure, there is no problem with sharing the font table. You can find the font table here.

Regarding errors, it will tell you that there are errors, and continue with the program. You will have an option to fix the errors as well.

Will pokemod include a modifier for the language of the sav?

I mean, if you start diamond in a japanese game, the save is japanese, cause when you talk with another trainer in the union room, your text will appear as japanese, no matter if you are using an english game (rom)

Is a very simple matter, i've successfully done it with hex (and pokesav for not corrupting it), you have to start a game in a language and do nothing but save, and same thing in another language. Then compare and see where the language flags are, and include support for change this in pokemod ^^U

This would be nice for those who start their games when they are only available in japan and want to continue their progress later in their language without having a half-japanese sav

Is a very simple matter, i've successfully done it with hex

How did you do this if you don't know where the language flag is?

In any case, this does make sense since foreign Pokémon get an EXP bonus (on top of the traded EXP bonus). It seems like there would be a flag to compare the Pokémon's country of origin to (assuming it didn't just compare it to the ROM's language or whatever). If Sabresite hasn't beaten me to it by the time I get home tonight, I'll find it.

How did you do this if you don't know where the language flag is?

In any case, this does make sense since foreign Pokémon get an EXP bonus (on top of the traded EXP bonus). It seems like there would be a flag to compare the Pokémon's country of origin to (assuming it didn't just compare it to the ROM's language or whatever). If Sabresite hasn't beaten me to it by the time I get home tonight, I'll find it.

There is more than one (the very first of them is very near from the trainer's name), and I can find where they are thanks to an hex comparing tool

Hex Workshop is good at this, in my case I started my diamond when it was only at the japanese stores, and when it arrived to my country, I saw that my welcome message in the union room while playing with my girlfriend was in japanese

I did this hex compare by starting both a japanese game and my own country one... There were multiple numbers (zeroes or ones, I dont remember which was it ^^U) which turned to sevens (0x->07), my country code

So I changed all of them manually in my game and went through pokesav to not corrupt it, and that solved it

Having begun a new save file on both a Japanese version and a USA version of Pokémon Platinum, in which I chose the same gender, the same trainer name, and the same rival name, I noticed several differences in the two save files.

Naturally the ID number was different. Adventure Started was off by a bit as well. And I believe there is a subtle difference between the "English" character set in the Japanese version as opposed to the USA version, so the same trainer name looks slightly different in each save (at least I think that's what I'm seeing). I dunno what the rest of it is.

However, nothing looks more like the language flag than 0x00081 (or 0x40081, depending which save block is more current), which was set to 0x01 for the Japanese version and 0x02 for the USA version.

When the European versions of Platinum hit, I think we should check this byte to see if it lines up with the country values for the individual Pokémon data.

Edited by codemonkey85

And I believe there is a subtle difference between the "English" character set in the Japanese version as opposed to the USA version, so the same trainer name looks slightly different in each save (at least I think that's what I'm seeing). I dunno what the rest of it is.

You're seeing right. Japanese English letters are slightly larger than the USA English ones, and have different letter codes.

Some of the values to change in platinum's save are:

0x44E85, 0x44EBD, ... (and many more adding 0x38 to each one of these until 0x452AD)

... and 0x40081, as codemonkey reported (well, and 0x00081, 0x04E85, ... , 0x052AD too)

I didn't find any more comparing an english rom (0x02) with a spanish rom (0x07)

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

I didn't find any more comparing an english rom (0x02) with a spanish rom (0x07)

I must have been half asleep when last I posted. Obviously Diamond and Pearl have already been released everywhere... why wait for Platinum?

In any case, if those are the values that you got in your save file(s), then the values at 0x00081/0x40081 do match the values here.

In which case I am going to stick that byte in the Wiki page.

In any case, if those are the values that you got in your save file(s), then the values at 0x00081/0x40081 do match the values here.

Well, that's in fact what I was trying to say ^^U

In which case I am going to stick that byte in the Wiki page.

But it's not only 0x81 related to language, there are some bytes (0x4E85 and on) related too cause they are changing from 01 to 07 too, just like the 0x81 one

Oh, hm. I don't know what those values are, but it stands to reason that the language information would be located relatively close to the basic trainer information (like name, gender, ID / SID, etc.), and 0x81 is right at the tail end of all that (for known values, it is between multiplayer avatar and the party Pokémon).

My question is, what purpose would reiterating the country info in the save file serve? I might hex edit those bytes to some arbitrary numbers, fix the checksums, and load the game to see what changes.

By the way, Sabresite... sorry that we've apparently hijacked your thread. :P I think when I get home, I will start a new thread for exploring the DPPt save file structure. Recruit some grunts.

EDIT: And I did it.

Edited by codemonkey85