Drifloon...it needs some folklore

pokemonfan

I think that drifloon is interesting and it needs some folklore. So through my studies of drifloon I have come up with one.

A long time back in sinnoh there were kids that loved balloons. They loved them their whole town loved them. They held village festivals and tons of balloons were made and balloons floated everywhere. However, they always popped and instead of morning the loss of the balloons the balloon lovers just inflated new ones.

Now unknown to the villagers the balloons had spirits, they were ones of people that had died and they had taken refuge in the balloons to remain on earth to be with their family and watch thing flourish. However, when the balloons popped they were dragged off to the "spirit world." They suffered much without seeing what was happening back home so then their fury build up and their memories and thoughts of humans and that of their time as a balloon merged and they all escaped from the "spirit world" seeking their balloon body.

The enraged spirits half human half balloon pieced together their torn balloon body and taped up the hole. The balloons transformed then into drifloons! They swore revenge and to this day try to steal away children and people so that they too can experience the pain and horrors of the spirit world.

Explanation:

In the diamond pokedex it says that drifloons were formed by the spirits of people and pokemon. So perhaps the spirits of the people who inhabited the balloons were also dwelling with pokemon.

The X on a drifloon looks like tape patches

Drifloon is the balloon pokemon species

In the platinum pokedex it calls drifloons a signpost for wandering spirits, like the balloons were.

In the pearl pokedex it says they try and steal children away.

In the japanese pokedex it says they take children away to the underworld. However, in one of the dusknoir entries it says it takes them to the spirit world which I think is a "better" term.

Wouldn't you be enraged like them?

In the episode "Drifloon on the wind" drifloons were seen being able to lift small girls in a number of 3 and even smaller children with a fewer number.

Its a ghost type pokemon

Please comment!

Wow that sounds pretty cool, although that kinda neglects the other Pokemon which in need of more Folklore.

Take for example: Banette, if i remember recall correctly the Pokedex states that:

"A doll that became a Pokemon over it's grudge from being junked, it seeks out the child that disowned it.

That's pretty creepy, i remember when i first read that, i said to myself i will never ever purchase a doll, unfortunately i have a Sister, so every time i find her doll, i hide in a travel bag, it still might be there, it was only around 6 years ago.

Bannette Folklore!:

It happened, I can only recall some of it. I was playing with a doll and then I dropped it in a deep pond. I dont know how far it sunk down before I gave up trying to rescue it. I ran home crying only to make a one of my blankets a puppet in its place. Little did I know that the spirit of the inanimate object was a vengeful one.

It animated the puppet and then came after me. I called it bannette the evil marionette. It sought after me with its haunting eyes. It drifted through wall searching for me. Then it found me. I screamed in horror and I raised my new puppet in defense. Only to find it animate to as a shuppet. I screamed harder as they neared me laughing evilly. Then I blacked out. When I awoke both my puppets were gone.

I can only imagine what they're doing now. I live the rest of my life studying ghost pokemon now and wouldn't be what I am today if that hadn't happened. That is the tail of the puppet pokemon.

-Excerpt from "The diary of a ghost professor"

Not really, I made it up but the folklore makes sense.

Banette... Banshee + Marionette? I don't know... that thing is creepy... but she wants an evo. Her rival Dusclops got one, I don't see why she shouldn't >.>

Anyways, Drifloon is also too light to carry children away to Neverland. Would they also masquerade as innocent balloons to children? If they were indeed ghosts... would they not be intangible?

Anyways, Drifloon is also too light to carry children away to Neverland. Would they also masquerade as innocent balloons to children? If they were indeed ghosts... would they not be intangible?

That can't stop it from trying, haha.

Some Pokemon that I think deserve some mythology behind them are Shedinja and Dusknoir.

Shed takes away your spirit if you look into its back?

And Dusknoir basically does the same as Drifloon.

I'll need to think of a story...

I stare at Shedinja's back all the time! Nothing's happened to me ye--

*long silence*

... anyways, Dusknoir makes me wonder... how did Dusclops gain an evolution? Those new evolutions all need a story... and ghost pokemon especially. I still don't know what's up with Gengar. I still want to know his story!!

The weird thing is I don't know where Gengar comes from... Gastly blows away easily from the wind like Drifloon... and since Gastly is gas... I would have thought it powers up Drifloon or something :P

You have this gassy thing that later evolves into a doppleganger... really? I would have never guessed that it weighs 86 lbs either :-/

Nah, just messing. Spiritomb and Ninetales would be interesting to know about. Ninetales was made from 9 saints or something like that... she's an interesting Poke... and she learns all these ghost moves but not Shadow Ball... why? :(

:) So glad you guys like the stories! So now I'm going to write more....here is the lists of the ones suggested...

• ninetales
  • gengar
  • spiritomb
  • shedinja
  • dusnoir

The bannette one was bound to make more sense because I went just a tad far with the drifloon one just to make it more fun. On the point of spiritomb, it was in the episode "The keystone pops" where Ash accidentally freed spiritomb from his imprisonment. In that episode you find out what spiritomb did. However, I'll write a story anyway once I look into those pokemon a bit more.

Edit: More folklore!

The story of ninetales...

A long time ago in a very old region there was a town that was on the brink of destruction. An evil group of pokemon called houndooms were constantly attacking the village burning their crops to the ground and several houses. These pokemon also took children as captives. The town's mascot was vulpix. Everyone loved this cute firetype pokemon but they couldn't defend against the threat for they were to weak.

However, there were nine saints with powers beyond that of a normal human so they worked together, determined to save the town. They tried spells, potions, and an old method of summoning groudon, yet all were to no prevail and the houndoom kept returning. The saints were about ready to give up until one had a brilliant idea.

"Fellow saints, we're of old age and are to die soon why dont we give our life and our fiery spirit into this stone to preserve it and then give it to my vulpix for it to run away and pass it on to its children. It will be the last legacy of our village and of us" said a saint.

"Brilliant!" said another.

so using their mystical powers they transfered their souls into tan ordinary stone and it glowed with fire and gleamed red. It became hot at the touch and yet cool at the same time. Some how the vulpix new to pick up the stone and the scalding heat didn't burn it. In fact the energy of the stone transformed vulpix into what we know as ninetales. The stone merged with ninetales and became a part of its chest. So it would be set a part from all other ninetales. Then it strode out into town the gleaming light of the stone changing many stones into fire stones to be used to evolve vulpix's. Then with a mighty roar it blasted the houndooms away and then it stood guard at the city gates joined by other ninetales.

This town still stands today and the ninetales there is still alive. Although it sees many come and go it never goes itself. It is believed to be immortal because of the souls trapped inside the stone. It remains guarding the city and the eternal enemy of all houndoom.

That is the story of Ninetales!

The story of spiritomb!

About 500 years ago, there was an evil pokemon named spiritomb that was rutheless and cruel by nature. It went on fierce rampages toasting villages and crops. It never gave anyone peace for a moment because they were always worrying about being attacked. When spiritomb would appear an evil dark aura would come about and the hair would become humid and almost to the point where it induced sleep which some did, they collapsed sleeping. Then the dreams of those sleeping would turn wicked and twisted like nothing ever seen before.

Then upon awakening they would find nothing left of their homes or past lives. It was an awful reality until an aura guardian showed up with a pikachu. The aura guardian bravely defeated spiritomb and sealed him away forever. This restored the good aura and destroyed the dark one of spiritomb until ash released him. Click here to watch the episode "The keystone pops which features the spiritomb story.

That's all I got for now. I'm not sure on how I'll write a story for gengar.

Edited by pokemonfan

• 3 weeks later...

Would be fun to catch a wild spiritomb with the stone rather then a pokeball...

As for Drifloon I always thought of it as a wandering spirit who would guide the spirits of lost children to the afterlife or keep them company until they are ready to move on.

Look at the hands/strings on it too. It looks like those plastic disks people have at the end of baloons to prevent them from floating up and away.

As for it stealing children, perhaps it just cant really tell if a child is dead or not so tries to take them to the afterlife either way. People could mistake a spirit acting like that as evil and say it steals children to drag to the underworld when its really just doing its thing.

When we saw them in the afterlife they did tend to crowd around the little girl, but didnt take her anywhere she didnt want to go. Perhaps the trainers found out how to convince the Drifloon the child isnt ready to move to the afterlife so they keep her company instead?

Sorry to drag this thread up a bit, but I find pokemon lore pretty interesting xD

what about a folklore for gyrados/magikarp? HOW THE HECK DOES THAT WIMPY LITTLE MAGIKARP THAT CAN ONLY SPLASH YOU (how refreshing!) TACKLE YOU A LITTLE BIT, AND FLAIL AROUND TURN INTO THAT...THAT...THAT BEAST?!?!?!?!?! I MEAN, LOOK AT THAT!

Thanks guys! I'm glad someone revived the thread. :)

Magikarp and gyarados

A group of magikarp were floating along in the ocean one day. They were battling to see who would become the dominant male. It really wasn't much of a battle being that its just magikarps. However, these magikarps were forging a new era in magikarp society. There had never been a dominant leader. Magikarp society had always been a democracy.

However, one tyrant shiny magikarp was obsessed with power. In his frail magikarp form he was unable to obtain it. So he fought for control in the magikarp society. It is believed now that only when either in battle for dominance, or when their life is threatened do they transform. This has been proven by many respected scientists yet still the public finds it hard to believe this theory.

The battle was heating up (as much as it can underwater) some feebas showed up to watch the battle. The golden magikarp launched itself splashing its foe deeper underwater. The other magikarp was holding its own but it couldn't take it. A powerful flail attack was launched and the nonshiny magikarp plummeted into the depths of the ocean defeated.

A glowing light surrounded magikarp like never seen before. The transformation was occurring. When it was done a powerful red gyarados lived. However, with its new found power nothing would stop it. It would rule the entire ocean. It swam off leaving the magikarp leaderless.

That is why to this day the red gyarados are coveted by all trainers and the magikarp remain the weak pokemon, for they are constantly splashing about waiting for their leader to return.

The tale of the red gyarados

In the previous story you heard how the first gyarados came to be and the red gyarados himself. Well...this gyarados went on to rule the entire ocean as the king of fury. It wailord to the depths, relicanth into ruins, and lanturn was banished into the murky waters of the pits.

Under the rule of the gyarados no sea pokemon was safe and the magikarp and feebas were forced to flee their home in search of safety inland. This is how the magikarp gained the ability to hop mountains.

The magikarp and feebas longed to return and the magikarp dreamed of the day they evolved. So they battled with each other trying to gain the power of the gyarados. The feebas too longed for their ocean existence and they became most self conscious making themselves as beautiful as possible. This induced their evolution into milotic. The magikarps evolved as well.

The group of powerful pokemon returned to the sea and defeated the red gyarados and banished him to the lake of rage. With the help of kyogre wailord was returned power, relicanth was recovered from extinction, and lanturn grew the light on its head so it is now the rulers of the ocean pits.

That good?

Magikarp and gyarados

A group of magikarp were floating along in the ocean one day. They were battling to see who would become the dominant male. It really wasn't much of a battle being that its just magikarps. However, these magikarps were forging a new era in magikarp society. There had never been a dominant leader. Magikarp society had always been a democracy.

However, one tyrant shiny magikarp was obsessed with power. In his frail magikarp form he was unable to obtain it. So he fought for control in the magikarp society. It is believed now that only when either in battle for dominance, or when their life is threatened do they transform. This has been proven by many respected scientists yet still the public finds it hard to believe this theory.

The battle was heating up (as much as it can underwater) some feebas showed up to watch the battle. The golden magikarp launched itself splashing its foe deeper underwater. The other magikarp was holding its own but it couldn't take it. A powerful flail attack was launched and the nonshiny magikarp plummeted into the depths of the ocean defeated.

A glowing light surrounded magikarp like never seen before. The transformation was occurring. When it was done a powerful red gyarados lived. However, with its new found power nothing would stop it. It would rule the entire ocean. It swam off leaving the magikarp leaderless.

That is why to this day the red gyarados are coveted by all trainers and the magikarp remain the weak pokemon, for they are constantly splashing about waiting for their leader to return.

In the previous story you heard how the first gyarados came to be and the red gyarados himself. Well...this gyarados went on to rule the entire ocean as the king of fury. It wailord to the depths, relicanth into ruins, and lanturn was banished into the murky waters of the pits.

Under the rule of the gyarados no sea pokemon was safe and the magikarp and feebas were forced to flee their home in search of safety inland. This is how the magikarp gained the ability to hop mountains.

The magikarp and feebas longed to return and the magikarp dreamed of the day they evolved. So they battled with each other trying to gain the power of the gyarados. The feebas too longed for their ocean existence and they became most self conscious making themselves as beautiful as possible. This induced their evolution into milotic. The magikarps evolved as well.

The group of powerful pokemon returned to the sea and defeated the red gyarados and banished him to the lake of rage. With the help of kyogre wailord was returned power, relicanth was recovered from extinction, and lanturn grew the light on its head so it is now the rulers of the ocean pits.

That good?

nice! funny, helps explain the (not so)epic battle for leadership in the school? of magikarp.

Magikarp and gyarados

That good?

That's a really interesting tale... :D

Plus, it explains their ability to jump over mountains.

As for Zangoose and Seviper, I always thought they were enemies because... Mongooses eat snakes. So, uh, yeah...

Does anyone know how the feud between Zangoose (which looks Nothing

--I repeat: N-O-T-H-I-N-G; NOTHING like a goose) and Seviper started?

That's a really interesting tale... :D

Plus, it explains their ability to jump over mountains.

As for Zangoose and Seviper, I always thought they were enemies because... Mongooses eat snakes. So, uh, yeah...

Zangoose and seviper the famous rivalry

The seviper lived peacefully in the forest. Feeding on rattatas and pidgeys they made a wonderful home in the woods with Etract the seviper as their leader.

Etract was a very powerful seviper he was very deadly and not good to come across when he was in a bad mood. He usually was in a bad mood but enough said about that. Etract led the sevipers well and they lived in great prosperity until the zangoose showed up. They lived in a different part of hoenn but yet they found their way over to the seviper clans. The zangoose tried to take their land but the seviper wouldn't have it.

They fought back ripping to shreds many zangoose along with the zangoose ripping to shreds many many seviper with their fierce claws! The battle was harsh and the victories short lived.

Eventually there was a show down between Etract the seviper and Lesephen the zangoose. Lesephen launched himself in rage at Etract but etract easily dodged it and followed up with a powerful poison tail. Zangoose then proceeded to use secret power which as a side effect put etract so sleep. Zangoose danced wildly and made sword swinging motions. In its crazed state it raised its attack. It was furious now.

Etract woke up just in time to see crush claw coming. Seviper poison fang but to no prevail. Zangoose dodged it and landed a powerful crush claw.

Etract rolled on the ground in pain yet it used haze to knock away the swords dance and the smoke gave Etract a chance to recover. When the smoke cleared seviper used swagger, glare, and then let out an ear piercing screech. Zangoose crumpled to the ground.

Etract slithered over to zangoose and used crunch and poison fang. Lesephen the zangoose was barely alive and Etract was going to finish him off when the zangoose cheated.

The spectating zangoose all let out a bellowing roar blasting back Etract. The zangoose then charged and swarmed over seviper. When the zangoose fell back there was nothing left of etract. In shock and fear of Etract being eaten the seviper fled and to this day hold a grudge against the cheating zangoose who stole their land and leader's life in an unfair match.

What do you think?

Zangoose and seviper the famous rivalry

The seviper lived peacefully in the forest. Feeding on rattatas and pidgeys they made a wonderful home in the woods with Etract the seviper as their leader.

Etract was a very powerful seviper he was very deadly and not good to come across when he was in a bad mood. He usually was in a bad mood but enough said about that. Etract led the sevipers well and they lived in great prosperity until the zangoose showed up. They lived in a different part of hoenn but yet they found their way over to the seviper clans. The zangoose tried to take their land but the seviper wouldn't have it.

They fought back ripping to shreds many zangoose along with the zangoose ripping to shreds many many seviper with their fierce claws! The battle was harsh and the victories short lived.

Eventually there was a show down between Etract the seviper and Lesephen the zangoose. Lesephen launched himself in rage at Etract but etract easily dodged it and followed up with a powerful poison tail. Zangoose then proceeded to use secret power which as a side effect put etract so sleep. Zangoose danced wildly and made sword swinging motions. In its crazed state it raised its attack. It was furious now.

Etract woke up just in time to see crush claw coming. Seviper poison fang but to no prevail. Zangoose dodged it and landed a powerful crush claw.

Etract rolled on the ground in pain yet it used haze to knock away the swords dance and the smoke gave Etract a chance to recover. When the smoke cleared seviper used swagger, glare, and then let out an ear piercing screech. Zangoose crumpled to the ground.

Etract slithered over to zangoose and used crunch and poison fang. Lesephen the zangoose was barely alive and Etract was going to finish him off when the zangoose cheated.

The spectating zangoose all let out a bellowing roar blasting back Etract. The zangoose then charged and swarmed over seviper. When the zangoose fell back there was nothing left of etract. In shock and fear of Etract being eaten the seviper fled and to this day hold a grudge against the cheating zangoose who stole their land and leader's life in an unfair match.

What do you think?

... Wow. That's epic. Simply epic.

You're pretty good at making these, pokemonfan. :D

... Wow. That's epic. Simply epic.

You're pretty good at making these, pokemonfan. :D

Thanks..writing fictional stories is like the thing I do best. I want to write one of those famous classics one day like charlie and the chocolate factory, starwars, something that everyone just cant help loving. Anyone else have ideas?

Hey, is it ok if Others out their own folklore ideas? because i have a folklore for kunaidude's bagon idea.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

well, i don't know if youll let others post folklore here, but here is a folklore for Bagon:

"Long ago, there was a Pokemon called a Bagon. It had lived its life looking into the sky, watching the flying Pokemon soar through the air, wishing that it could be one of them. It longed to soar with the Tailows, the Swellows, the Wingull, and the Pelipper. It grew envious of the Wurmple, knowing that they would one day soar as a beautiful Beautifly, or as a Dustox. It would practice flight, day and night, buy leaping off of ledges, enduring great pain and injury, hoping that its preparation would pay off when it might some day fly.

When it still could not fly, one of its close friends, which was a Tailow, remembered that Jirachi had awakened from its thousand-year slumber. It set off, in search of whoever had found Jirachi. During this time, Bagon had been growing less and less hopeful that it might someday fly, and had been thinking about ending its own life in order that its spirit may fly free before departing for the Spirit World.

When news reached Tailow about this, he searched tirelessly, day and night, hoping to find the human who had found Jirachi. It found Jirachi, playing with a human. Tailow approached Jirachi, but the human tried to drive it off. Somehow, Jirachi told the human not to, and told Tailow to tell it why it looked so tired.

The Tailow told Jirachi of its long journey, hoping that, since Jirachi could grant wishes, the human would make a wish that Bagon could fly. Jirachi agreed, and beckoned the human to follow them back to Bagon. Together, they journeyed back to the Bagon, who had then been about to end its life by jumping off a cliff. Bagon leaped off the cliff, and was caught in midair by several Tailow. Tailow then explained that Bagon needed to show the human, somehow, that it greatly desired to fly, and that with Jirachi's help, it may fly after all.

So the Bagon attempted to fly by flapping its arms and jumping up and down, and stared enviously at the winged Pokemon once more. The human understood Bagon's desired, and, turing to Jirachi, made the wish that Bagon could fly. When nothing happened, Bagon aimed its skull toward the cliff to release its anger. Then suddenly, it glowed with the "Light of Evolution", and when the light ceased, Bagon had been forced onto all fours and was coated in a hard shell. Jirachi returned to its thousand-year slumber, and the human decided to stay with Bagon, because he was curious with what Jirachi had done.

About 2 weeks later, the human awoke to see that Bagon had begun to glow again with the Light of Evolution, and the hard shell peeled off. When the shell was completely shed, the Light deceased, and Bagon appeared, but appeared nothing like Bagon! It had grown wings, size, and an Intimidating demeanor. The human called it Salamence, for it resembled the salamanders that he had read lived in a disant land, and at a first glance, appeared it could be a menace. Bagon then passed these traits on to its chilren, and its children's children, and so on for all generations to come."

- from "Pokemon: Endless Mysteries, Vol. III" -- Chapter 16, subsection a.23: Evolutionary Folklore - Bagon

This is actually my first made-up story. I think its actually pretty good, considering I made it up. I don't kno about how you guys will respnd to this, though.

these are awesome!

I think that Magikarp/Gyarados is based off of a Japanese myth where there is a carp that over a waterfall (the Dragon Gate, in mythology) it turns into a dragon, not that it takes anything away from your story; it was really good!