Country/Hometown Question

Troggy

From what I have read, the length of a 3rd gen Pokemon's name influences how legal reads the Hometown and Country information. I know that nicknames of 10 characters give an 'Indeterminate' result due to lack of trash bytes. However, I am curious about another inconsistency I saw the other day.

I Pal Parked 6 Pokemon from the same Emerald OT/game to a Diamond game. 3 of the Pokes were nicknamed the uncapped version of their real names (e.g. Rayquaza instead of RAYQUAZA), and the other 3 had other nicknames. The only difference between the Pokes of the same species is the nickname (they are clones).

For the nicknames that were 10 characters, I got 'Indeterminate' as I would expect. However, for some of the other Pokes, the Country and Hometown were not just US/UK/AU, but rather the whole list (Including Japan, Spain, etc).

Is there some other trash byte related trend that causes this to happen?

Edit:

Latios ('Latios')

Country Originated: US/UK/AU

Pal Park Country: US/UK/AU

Latios ('AEROSTAR')

Pal Park Country: US/UK/AU, France, Italy, Germany, Spain/South America, Korea

Rayquaza ('Rayquaza')

Rayquaza ('MEAN GREEN')

Pal Park Country: Indeterminate

Wynaut ('Wynaut')

Wynaut ('ITSATRAP!')

Edited by Troggy

Thanks for the response, but how to change trash bytes isn't my question. I don't see the need to mess with trashbytes.exe or modify the hex of these Pokemon since they aren't hacks. I'm trying to figure out what causes legal to output all of those countries under 'Pal Park Country' in some cases but not others for Pokemon that all have the same actual Pal Park Country.

The answer is in the trash bytes wiki page. Trash bytes vary by language and version. However, not all the bytes are different across them, hence the more trash bytes are in the Pokémon name (i.e. the shorter the Pokémon name), the more information we can get about which language and version was used to Pal Park.

Perhaps I was just showing my lack of understanding, but I was more looking for something like you just said as an answer. If the answer is 'it depends on the length of the nickname', then I can live with that.

If Pokemon with 8-9 character nicknames that are Pal Parked from U.S. Emerald to U.S. Diamond consistently show that multi country list, then alright. That would seem to mean that there isn't enough information left over to narrow down the country list, so it just spits them all out.

I did another batch of Pokemon last night and got:

Kecleon ('KECLEON')

Kecleon ('Kecleon')

Kecleon ('SLIM SHADY')

Pal Park Country: Indeterminate

Groudon ('GROUDON')