Which should I buy? NDS PHAT, NDSL or NDSi?

fenzo666

Which should I buy?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I buy?

• Nintendo DS Lite
    • Nintendo DSi
    • My Nintendo so PHAT!

Hey peeps. As you may or may not know, I do not own a Nintendo DS handheld gaming system, so I thought it might be time to buy one. Now I am debating over whether I should buy a Nintendo DS Lite or a Nintendo DSi. There is also the PHAT, but I don't think that's my kind of system. (looks too ugly) Anywho, I can buy a Nintendo DS Lite for about $60 or an NDSi for around $200. Now which should I chose? Please help. Thanks.

Vote and leave a comment for your boy fenzo! Note: I don't care much for the GBA slot unless you can convince me otherwise. I don't care for Pal Park.

Well, DS lite is better,supports GBA, and won't make your pocket side uncomfortable;). DSi is well, pretty more of a downgrade than an upgrade, there is no GBA slot which will take out migrating Pokemon and being able to play Guitar Hero. And you're complaing about the phat DS.:bidoof: So overall, get a DS lite.:kikkoman:

*GASP* i never knew you did NOT have a DS, i find that quite strange, because the previous forum was technically all about Pokesav, which relates to the DS.

This is kinda of a difficult question, because the DSi has a lot of potential, because of the camera, music, SD card, and DSiware. sure some people feel they are unwanted, but they can lead to extraordinary ideas.

Currently at the moment the DSi is pretty much what every hater thinks, so it's safe to say go for the DS Lite, sure it has less ram, but it lasts longer, not that it matters, like i don't know anyone who plays their hand held longer 3 hours, and the DS lite has more avaliable options for the Flash Cart section, if you are thinking of purchasing one.

The only thing the DSi cut out, was the slot-2, sure i don't use the slot-2 in any form of way, but it leaves some of the intuitive ideas to spring up, like Guitar Hero that was really creative, i never thought of playing it like that, and it cuts out the extra ram your able to plug in your DSi, but i think the extra ram that comes with the DSi is enough to cover it.

Although the smoothness of the DSi matte top seems to really attract me into purchasing one, maybe in the nearby future, or far future, the DSi will seem like a better choice, but one thing i envy about DSi users is the camera, like distortion lens, or other features your able do, it seems all fun yeah, it sounds strange, inviting a few friends and taking pictures, but it doesn't really matter.

NDS Phat sucks. The Lite includes screen brightness and is just overall better, and it's slightly harder to find Phat's now.

However, there's more than just asthetic differences between DSLite and DSi. It's got memory storage to actually store stuff like music, and I've read that there will be a downloadable store.

GBA games can't be played; however, outside of Pokemon and the Guitar Hero games, that doesn't matter. Gran a cheap Gameboy SP if that's important.

The Lite is the better purchase now. In a year, DSi will probably be the standard.

DS Lite, I'd say. I personally don't see a need for DSi at this point...and the original DS was too easy to break (I actually broke one of the hinges square off by dropping it on a hardwood floor...) And I'm a girl, girls don't break things like that easily, you know! xD

I've read that there will be a downloadable .

There is already a store where you are able to download small unimpressive games, and web browsers, and other functions.

I believe it's safe to say that your mind is set upon to purchasing a DS Lite, i would suggest buying a DSi in about 2-5 years, when it has "better" DSiware, and when your DS Lite wears, and tears.

One more thing, how does the NDS Phat:

9000.jpg

do we really have that much members, or are the mods spamming. ;)

But the DSi has terrible battery power, and pal park does have a lot to do with trash bytes and not to mention, the DSi is not compatible with most flash carts besides the acekard2. I'd go with the DS Lite, but like coolbho3k said, if you have the money, go ahead and buy thee DSi as it is a very nice upgrade, besides the GBA slot.

Plus there are rumors of HG/SS having exclusive DSi features.

fenzo, are you even going to get HG and SS? I thought you were only doing this for the Tetris.

Also, Floot is right about the DSi's battery power, the camera quality is nothing to write home about, and you already have an iPhone for MP3s. So what do the extra features of the DSi really do for you? I say go with the Lite, yo.

Looks like I'm gonna buy an NDS Lite. If anyone is selling theirs, let me know. Currently the cheapest used ones I can find in my location are for about $55 USD.

If you are not going to get a DSi, then get the DS Plat, and not the DS lite. The DS lite is made of cheaper material than the original. When I got a DS lite to replace my original one, the only reason was that it broke, and I couldn't find any originals (on sites I trust). The firmware is next to no different at all, and the only positive difference for the DSlite is that it's screens are brighter. Also keep in mind, the speakers on the original DS are louder/better quality than the DS lite's. Adding on to this monster of a reply I caught myself typing, the GBA games stick out akwardly of a DS lite. I would love for anyone to attempt to tell me that the DS lite is better than the original, only if they have at least 3 facts to back it up.

Get the original DS (Plat.) :kikkoman:

If you are not going to get a DSi, then get the DS Plat, and not the DS lite. The DS lite is made of cheaper material than the original. When I got a DS lite to replace my original one, the only reason was that it broke, and I couldn't find any originals (on sites I trust). The firmware is next to no different at all, and the only positive difference for the DSlite is that it's screens are brighter. Also keep in mind, the speakers on the original DS are louder/better quality than the DS lite's. Adding on to this monster of a reply I caught myself typing, the GBA games stick out akwardly of a DS lite. I would love for anyone to attempt to tell me that the DS lite is better than the original, only if they have at least 3 facts to back it up.

Get the original DS (Plat.) :kikkoman:

Have you seen some videos on Youtube of people destroying their Nintendo DS Lite, it takes a hell of a beating, and it survives so much, there was a really good video of testing the DS durability, but unfortunately it has been removed, and the bottom screen is probably the toughest part of the DS Lite.

Facts ( I will try)

~Improved Battery Life.

~Brighter, it will make games look so much better, especially those dark area games like Zelda, or Dark Spire, even Avalon Code.

~Lighter it actually becomes a portable console, that you can fit in your pocket easier then the Phat.

~I think it has improved wireless, because when playing Bleach Dark Soul, while it loads, the Lite seems to download the data faster then the Phat.

~Improved stylus, making it thicker, defiantly reduces the chances of the stylus swinging out, or slipping down.

I'm not so sure if it has improved wireless, but it seems to be, with the experience I've been through, when VSing my friends.

~Improved Battery Life.

Unless you have the brightness on really high

~Brighter, it will make games look so much better, especially those dark area games like Zelda, or Dark Spire, even Avalon Code.

One thing, there is a bug (the DSi has it too), then the backlight is turned off (Super Mario 64 DS can do this), it is difficult to see past the thick screens. This is the only real reason I can see for getting a DS lite over the Plat, aulthough, the Plat. is only slightly brighter (One can barely see this) than the DSlite when it is on it's lowest brightness setting.

I still recomend a DSi, because at any time, one can hold SELECT, and press the volume buttons to change the brightness. AT ANY TIME!!!

~Lighter it actually becomes a portable console, that you can fit in your pocket easier then the Phat.

ds.

Here I am, testing this to be true (that tells that I really do not support the DS lite). Lengthwise, it is about 3/4 inch shorter, Widthwise, it is less than 1/2 inch shorter, Heightwise, it less than 1/4 inch shorter. Also, the power switch is on the outside, so if you put it in the pocket, it may turn off. (That is an improvement of the DSi, putting the power switch on the inside).

~I think it has improved wireless, because when playing Bleach Dark Soul, while it loads, the Lite seems to download the data faster then the Phat.

That is an opinion, not a fact.

~Improved stylus, making it thicker, defiantly reduces the chances of the stylus swinging out, or slipping down.

I honestly have no preference on this, and it is no reason to turn down the Plat.

Have you seen some videos on Youtube of people destroying their Nintendo DS Lite, it takes a hell of a beating, and it survives so much, there was a really good video of testing the DS durability, but unfortunately it has been removed, and the bottom screen is probably the toughest part of the DS Lite.

Take the screens, for example. The Plat. has a much stronger transparent layer for the top screen. On the lite, one can just barely tough it, and it will have the colory things displayed, which it really bad.

For the Plat, one has to mean it, and I don't want to exert pressure for it to even slightly appear, because it requires that much pressure. As for the touch screen, I wouldn't be supprised if the Plat's touch screen was made of plexi-glass.

The buttons are cheaper, too (thank the LORD that nintendo made them better quality with less plastic). The DS lite's buttons wiggle around all over the place due to insufficient planning. The Plat's buttons are amazing quality. I still recomend a DSi, because unlike the DS lite, Nintendo really spent time planning it.

$55 for a Lite isn't all that bad, either, Fenzo. :]

Actually, when I got mine, I went to GameStop and was giving them back all of my old PS2, GameCube, GameBoy/Advance etc games that I no longer touched (were collecting dust in a closet, better just to get rid of them) and I had so much stuff that they could only give me 2 transactions (I lost out on a lot of money due to it, too)

-- I was doing all of this so I could buy my Pokemon Diamond: I REALLY REALLY WANTED IT. And had so much left over that I bought my DS Lite, Diamond, and 3 of those crappy DS headsets (1 for me, the others for friends)

Might have told that story before somewhere else, sorry if I have.

Now I have a nice headset (still with the same crappy wire that broke in my first) but it's both headphones and an easily adjustable mic. Which is good, because my Lite's mic gave out on me =/

So if you're going to be doing a lot of Wifi gaming, Fenzo, I'd recommend this.