Pokémon Nicknames !

wyndamn

If you are one of those that care about giving nicknames which suit pokémon or placing nicknames that suit them in some other way then this is just the thread for it. So i wanna hear if you people have more interesting and clever nicknames for some pocket monsters and explain the reasons behind the nickname(s) (Except if its too obvious of course) So i will leave a list of some i have made for a few of them or other that are popular for some. I will add more nicknames to the list depending on how suitable or creative they are. Keep in mind that nicknames can only be 11 letters long if im not mistaken.

Carvanha - Phiranah (named after the movie with the same name)

Cottone & Whimsicott - Cotton

Deerling - Bambi (M)/ Faline (F) (movie)

Elgyem & Beheeyem - E.T. (movie)

Empoleon - DPenguin ( Batman Comics enemy)

Garchomp - Streetshark (named after the comic Street Sharks)

Gligar & Gliscor - Batman (Comic)

Houndoom - Cerberus (he actually looks very alike this legendary creature depictations)

Jellyscent - Mr. Pringles (M)

Klink, Klank & Klingklang - Mtl.GearSld ( Metal Gear Solid video Game)

Mareep & Flaffy - Dolly (named after the first cloned sheep)

Prinplup - Happyfeet

Ninetails - FireFox/Mozilla (Web Browser) Kitsune (japanese folklor) Kyubi (the Kyubi is based on the Kitsune)

Rotom-F - Frigidaire/Nedoca (rotom forms have electrodomestic brand names)

Rotom-H - Hotpoint/LG

Rotom-S - Universal

Rotom-W - Whirlpool

Sawsbuck - Fawn (F) / WoodsPrince (M) (named after bambi´s parents)

Sharpedo - Jaws (Movie)

Tornadus - Fujin (japanese god of Wind) Naruto (Naruto´s series main character he´s based on Fujin)

Thundurus - Raijin (japanese god of thunder) Sasuke (one of Naruto´s series main char he´s based on Raijin)

Tirtouga & Carracosta - Kameturtle (Anime Dragon Ball)

Turtwig & Grottle - Franklyn (cartoon Franklin The Turtle)

Vanillite, Vanillish & Vanillux - BaskinRobin (ice cream brand)

Vulpix - FireFox/Mozilla (Web Browser)

It's actually 10 characters. Anyhow, I have many nicknames for my different Pokemon, but I think I can share a few that I can think from the back of my head... since I don't want to get into excruciating details with EVERYTHING.

Butterfree: Liberty

Butterfree... Liberty, get the meaning? Usually a female Butterfree, I haven't had a male one yet.

Sandslash: Petruchio (M)

A character from Taming the Shrew (a Shakespearean play), the pun being Taming the SHREW, and Sandshrew is a Shrew

Nidoqueen: Regina / Esther / Guinevere

Regina means queen. Esther is a Biblical Queen, Guinevere is a medieval legendary queen consort of King Arthur. It's not limited to these names though.

Nidoking: Arthur / Ferdinand / Charles / Edward / George / Louis

I have a lot of royal names for this guy, heh heh

Gengar: Prankster (M) / Sombra (F)

Fitting names for Gengar I guess... Sombra is Spanish for Shadow.

Dragonite: Hero (F)

The lighthouse keeper from the sad Greek myth Hero and Leander... I named Dragonite after that strangely. I have many alternative names for Dragonite, but I won't get there since Hero is my most frequently used name for it.

Gardevoir: Portia (F) / Excalibur (F)

I don't use male Gardies, they're traps :3

Regirock/Regice/Registeel: Balthasar / Melchoir / Gaspar

Apocryphal names of the Three Magi. We don't even know if there were three, but since these guys are based off Jewish golems... and despite the fact the Magis (wisemen) came from the East, I couldn't help but name them this.

Kyogre: Leviathan

After the Biblical creature of the sea mentioned in Job 41; God said it was so ferocious it was able to breath fire from its nostrils, had iron scales, and was able to create stones from every steps it made (Stealth Rocks?). Kyogre doesn't have any of that though, but still... I guess it relates with the others...

Groudon: Behemoth

After the Biblical creature of the earth mentioned in Job 40; God said it was his largest creation with a tail like cedar. Elephant? You wish, they don't have such features. And neither do Hippos. Like Kyogre, it wasn't really based on the Behemoth but the concept is there regardless.

Rayquaza: Ziz

The Jewish call this guy the third of the bunch; the beast of the sky. In the end the people will feast on the meat of the Behemoth, Leviathan and the Ziz, or so the Talmud says. It's not mentioned in the Bible though but it adds a nice touch to this. He also kinda looks like Shenron from Dragon Ball Z.

Empoleon: Napoleon (M) / Josephine (F) / Eugene (M)

Empoleon resembles the great Napoleon, the first French Emperor and a brilliant tactician. It took the European coalitions seven tries to beat him... and this guy was really a monster. He wasn't a man of the sea, however, so Water/Steel typing is a bit... well, British! I had a female Piplup in game so I named her Josephine after Napoleon's first wife. Eugene is the name of the only child of Louis-Napoleon and Empress Eugenie, the last monarchs of France who reigned from 1852-1870. Poor Eugene had a tragic ending in his life when he was killed in 1879 during the Anglo-Zulu war while fighting for the British.

Serperior: Antoinette (F) / Lilith (F)

She screams French nobility... that Fleur-de-lis and everything? This thing is French for sure, so I named her after Marie Antoinette in game, though I gave that same name to my Ninetales. Lilith is probably a better name because Lilith is represented as the deceptive serpent in Medieval paintings. Lilith is now associated with the screech owl though. Oh who is Lilith? An apocryphal story stating that Adam (the first man) had a wife before Eve, and it was Lilith. It doesn't hold any credence, but such are mythology and she is now a symbol of feminism because she ran away from Adam and had refused to submit to him.

Jellicent: Albert (M) / Victoria (F)

The royal family of practically the whole of 1800s (1830 +), Prince Albert and Queen Victoria seem fitting enough, except Albert wasn't really stout. Victoria on the other hand... kinda like Blissey. Heh heh.

Ferrothorn: Hitler / AIDS / Ferrotroll

This guy's a troll, so I called him Hitler. Problem bro?

Bisharp: Mordred (M) / Marseilase (M)

Mordred was Arthur's evil nephew. Self-explanatory. I know it's spelt Marseillaise (current French national anthem), but 10 character limit. Asides from Power Ranger / Kamen Rider/ whatever, Bisharp reminds me of the French revolution because of all those blades and rather sinister appearance. Might even call him Robespierre.

I will show my teams nicknames for now!

Starapter: Stark "male" ( I like the Iron Man movies and the rest is obvious enough)

Luxray: Lecter "male" ( Lecter is kind of like eLECTric a bit and it sounded clever)

Garchomp: Paiste "male" ( One of the last dragons in Ireland was Paiste (Lig-na-Baste), a fire-breathing serpent from the beginning of time. He was still around when St Patrick died and was eventually subdued by the trickery of Saint Murrough. He still lives in the waters of Lough Foyle.) (Im mostly Irish myself! I know it dont fit very well but i like it!)

Milotic: Miotas "male" ( If i remember right Miotas is Irish for myth, named it that because its shiny, well my whole team is, and because it sounded good next to Milotic)

Spiritomb: Mheontuama "male" ( "Mheon" is Irish for spirit, and "Tuama" is Irish for tomb, and since im only allowd 10 letter i just put them both together like you see here)

Infernape: Infered "male" ( named him that because he is a shiny, "Infer" for the first part of his name and since he is red the "ed" with it makes it a clever way of saying "Red Infernape", plus it almost spells "infrared" correctly)

Edit: Luxray: Zapatista ( after the Zapatista National Liberation Army in Mexico! They fight to free Mexico and make it a better place to live!)

Edited by StreetPunkism

Oh well, do not ask me about nicknames... Every Pokémon has to have a nickname in my game! :) Mostly I give them names I like, in most cases it is just the name with no additional meaning or something. A great part do have something in common with the name of the Pokémon. That could be the first 1/2/3 characters of the name, maybe a particle of it, or a name which is hidden in the Pokémon name. But I do like names with a meaning, so a name with a meaning which is striking for the Pokémon could be applied too. Furthermore, the 'meaningful' names, which are no common names for people, but based on things, phenomena or thoughts, are another category. And what is left, are the funny names! Of course I do not like some Pokémon, so I will torment them with a weird nickname. And others just have bad luck. That category is not that relevant for people here, because they are mostly made out of jokes in my native language. And translating them would be dumb. ;)

Let's explain some names, then!

Ambipom: Ambidexter (F/M)

Very funny for such an idiotic Pokémon like Ambipom. ^^

Roselia: Rosalie (F)

An 'anagram' for Roselia (although only two vowels are swapped), and well, just look at the name... It is almost the same, and it has something to do with roses.

Salamence: Salami (F/M)

Another name which is not that serious, but as you can see the first five letters are the same.

Lunatone: Luna (F)

About 'names in names', Luna is very striking for a Pokémon that looks like a moon!

Sandshrew/Sandslash: Sandra (F)

Instead of Wraith picking the 'shrew' part, I picked the 'sand' part and wait, Sandra contains the word sand! Plain and simple.

Nidorina: Rina (F)

I think I do not have to explain that name?

Kadabra: Kadaver (F/M)

Well, from the department of morbid humour, the name is derived from Cadaver, as you could notice.

Bellsprout/Weepingbell/Victreebel: Bella (F)

The whole evolutionary chain contains at least the letters 'bel', so...

Ponyta: Lavinia (F)

I really like that name, and somewhere it almost has 'lava' in it, so it looks suitable for a Fire Pokémon. But besides that, it is just a cute name for a Ponyta.

Muk: Musk (F/M)

A well-known ingredient of perfume, must smell a lot nicer than a Muk, according to the Pokédex!

Tangela: Angela (F)

The most extreme form of 'a name in a name', just remove the T and you get Angela.

Omastar: Stella (F)

This one is clear I suppose?

Moltres: Sulfura (F/M)

Sulfura is the French name of Moltres, derived from sulphur as it seems. Anyway, I like that name a lot better!

Dratini: Snoepje (F)

The diminutive of sweet or candy in Dutch, because Dratini is such a sweet thing. ^^

Meganium: Megan (F)

It is starting to get a bit boring with explaining...

Noctowl: Athena (F)

This one is as cliché as it can be, I am afraid.

Flaaffy: Morgana (F)

Yes, this one is a least thought-through. Morgana is the shepherdess from the opera Alcina of Georg Friedrich Händel (which is based on the epic of Ludovico Ariosto, named 'Orlando Furioso'). I am not really sure, but I thought Morgana did not belong to the epic of Ariosto, although the link between sheep and shepherdess is close enough, I think. ;)

Sudowoodo: Sudoku (F/M)

Well, look at the similarity. A funny name for people who like those games.

Sunkern/Sunflora: Sunny (F)

The perfect Pokémon to be called Sunny, I think.

Wooper: Miyako (F)

I really like this name, but I only recently gave it to my Woopers/Quagsires. It comes from 'mi' (beautiful), 'ya' (night) and 'ko' (child). 'Ko' is often used for the end of female names, but the meaning of it is in this case fairly good for a little Wooper.

Mantine: Tamanta (F/M)

The romanised Japanese name, I believe. Tamana could also be used if you have a female Mantine.

Skarmory: Victoria (F)

I have the tendency to give birds the name Victoria (I used it for Fearow and Pidgeotto too, for example).

Tyranitar: Tyra (F)

Drop -nitar and you get this! I do not have Tyranitars often, though.

Lugia: Lucia (F)

One character change and you got a proper name.

Ho-oh: Aurelia (F)

For those who do not know; it means 'Dawn'.

Linoone: Angelina (F)

Especially the 'Lina' part comes from Linoone.

Kirlia: Kiri (F)

Named after the girl in Sootopolis City who gives you berries every day.

"My parents wished I would grow healthy and warm-hearted", or something like that. :P

Gardevoir: Cynthia (F)

Plusle: Kyrielle (F)

I listed this one because I have no clou where I found this weird name.

Torkoal: Etna (F)

Well, you could use another random volcano on earth for it.

Regirock: Ragnarok (F/M)

I cannot get enough of this: Ragnarok looks a lot like Regirock. It comes from the Norse mythology of course, the awaiting disastrous events in the future that destroy everything. Well, maybe a bit optimistic for Regirock's power, I guess. ^^

Regice: Antarctica (F/M)

Another 'meaningful' name of the same kind as the one above, but Antarctica is a very innocent name instead.

Infernape: Incendie (F)

Incendie means 'fire' in French.

Bronzong: Campanella (F/M)

Meaning 'little bell' in Italian, and I believe Bronzong is supposed to be a bell?

Snover: Setsuna/Suzuna (F)

I used both names, but Setsuna had something to do with snow ('calm snow', or something).

Togekiss: Valentina (F)

Named after my favourite classical pianist Valentina Lisitsa. :)

Gallade: Ballade (F/M)

Again, the secret of one character change! Together with Waltz (for Ralts), I would make a whole dance related evolutionary chain, but I cannot come up with a good dance which looks like Kirlia and Gardevoir.

Froslass: Candy (F)

Because Froslass looks like a candy, with that ribbon around her middle.

Uxie: Gyeonmun

I could not come up with a good name for it, something with acuity did not work too, so I switched to Korean. It seems to mean 'knowledge', but there is a chance I picked the wrong word.

Heatran: Lavana (F)

I thought one of the three minor leaders of team Dim Sun was called Lavana.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some of mine:

Carnivine: Audrey II (named after the flytrap in Little Shop of Horrors)

Lucario: Anubis (named after the jackal god of the same name)

Cobalion: Athos (named after the character of the same name from the Three Musketeers)

Sawk: ROCKmSOCKm (for some reason, both he and Throh remind me of those Rock 'em Sock 'em toy robots; probably because one's red and the other's blue)

Sceptile: Grassilisk (Portmanteau of Grass and Basilisk)

Kingler: Oh, Krab! (I don't think this one needs explaining)

Elemental Monkeys from Black and White: SageNoEvil, SearNoEvil, PourNoEvil (Named respectively after the three monkeys who "Hear/See/Speak no evil")

Chatot: Elvis (Because of Chatter)

Drapion: Eurypterid (A gigantic prehistoric scorpion that Drapion is probably based off of)

Honchkrow: Al Capone (Another one I don't think needs much explaining)

Magikarp: Seafood (Yep...it's a piece of seafood that can splash over a mountain)

Abomasnow: Obamasnow (I can't help it; they sound very similar to one another. I have plenty of jokes to make about Romney too.)

Espeon: Bonbon (named after my cat ;))

Umbreon: Outlaw (named after my other cat ;))

• 3 years later...

I usually nickname my pokemon in japanese! Examples:

Litleo (evolved into a Pyroar [M]): Raionkingu ("lion king" in japanese)

Skrelp (evolved into a Dragalge [M]): Kaiso {the "o" had the little bar over it but you know, no symbols} ("seaweed" in japanese)

Eevee (evolved into a Sylveon [M, shiny]): Ao ("blue" in japanese)

Torchic (evolved into a Blaziken [M]): Kaen ("flame" in japanese)

Bagon (evolved into a Salamence, which I mega evolve [F]): Mikadzukikei ("crescent" in japanese)

Zorua (evolved into a Zoroark [F]): Kitsune ("fox" in japanese)

Latias [F]: Shisuta {again, bar above the "a"} ("sister" in japanese)

I thought it would be a cool idea to name them based on their appearances / typing. Hope I insired some cool names! ^^;