Starters in Sinnoh: Which one to choose

pokemonfan

Which one did you choose? Did you base off of this guide?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you choose? Did you base off of this guide?

• Piplup: based off of guide
    • Turtwig: based off of guide
    • Chimchar: based off of guide
    • Piplup: not based off of guide
    • Turtwig: not based off of guide
    • Chimchar: not based off of guide

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately that would be a terrible move to use against an Electivire or Jolteon switching in O_O

But against Zapdos at least you can cripple it.

Well thats why you use Earthquake or Dragon dance on a switch anyway. Jolly Gyarados outspeeds timid 252 Jolteon after 1 DD and OHKO's with earthquake too. But you have to watch out for Choice scarf users.

Anyway My favorite starter is probably Swampert/Typhlosion but in terms of D/P/Pt Chimcar>Monferno>Infernape is the easiest starter to use and learns power attacks that score super effective hits on most of the games pokemon ( Close combat, Earthquake, thunder punch and Grassknot )

k I'm done. :x

Well thats why you use Earthquake or Dragon dance on a switch anyway. Jolly Gyarados outspeeds timid 252 Jolteon after 1 DD and OHKO's with earthquake too. But you have to watch out for Choice scarf users.

Anyway My favorite starter is probably Swampert/Typhlosion but in terms of D/P/Pt Chimcar>Monferno>Infernape is the easiest starter to use and learns power attacks that score super effective hits on most of the games pokemon ( Close combat, Earthquake, thunder punch and Grassknot )

k I'm done. :x

Prediction can sometimes be your best friend or can sometimes mess you up. However, most Gyarados I've found happened to be Adamant (although mine's Jolly and has just enough speed to outspeed an Electrode after + 1 DD) :D

And Infernape is a very good mixed sweeper, although I find STAB Flamethrower to work better than Thunderpunch or Earthquake because usually Infernape won't need Earthquake. I taught mine Nasty Plot, Flamethrower, Grass Knot and Close Combat. It learns Nasty Plot at level 22 or something as a Chimchar... yeah. With the other starters there is no motivation to keep them in their first stage, but Chimchar is the oddball.

Also Instead of flamethrower, heatwave is a decent option and can be taught via Move tutor along with Thunderpunch while he learns Close combat from leveling and Earthquake Via TM.

The problem is, I don't think Infernape can afford to miss once, so keeping perfectly accurate moves like Flamethrower is fine. It's not much of a difference actually... 95 base power vs 100 base power. I'm certainly not teaching this thing Fire Blast.

My favorite starter is Swampert or Blastoise I guess for the others.

lol I like how you threw something about starters to keep me from locking it. :P

And I did the same :)

Indeed Wraith89. Good point, if infernape misses against a water type that knows surf/hydropump you can kiss your monkey goodbye. That miss could have cost you the whole battle if you were counting on infernape to do some sweeping damage because the rest of your team sucks.

Although a Fire Blast with Life Orb DOES OHKO Azelf sometimes... but even then... NOT worth using with Infernape. With those bulkier things like Arcanine (factoring Intimidate) or Ninetales it would be fine though.

However, that doesn't mean the rest of your team is terrible.

Have you stated your favorite starter yet?

i have chosen piplup, as new to this game, it really didn't matter to me what's that pokemon will do. but as i "mature" playing the game, i realized the importance of the starters. and yes, piplup was good at the first gym, and as the game progressed, i managed to counter the weakness of my piplup by adding team members that would "fill-in" the lacking advantage of my team over the succeeding gyms. :)

i have chosen piplup, as new to this game, it really didn't matter to me what's that pokemon will do. but as i "mature" playing the game, i realized the importance of the starters. and yes, piplup was good at the first gym, and as the game progressed, i managed to counter the weakness of my piplup by adding team members that would "fill-in" the lacking advantage of my team over the succeeding gyms. :)

Ever tried the starter only run? I think it's the hardest with Piplup in DPP... but I could be wrong. I'm going to try that though... because water's my favorite starter usually.