Cloning Glitch on Crystal?

kuoleva

Well, I just got a copy of Crystal from a friend, since mine has exploded. I always have a hard time choosing starters in the 1st and 2nd gen games. Then, lo and behold, I discovered a way to exploit the cloning glitch to get all of them.

http://glitchcity.info/docs/all3starters

I followed the instructions there to a tee, nothing. The video demo was on Gold. Does this not work on Crystal? D: Is my timing off during the cloning part? I was able to put my Cyndaquil into the box, save and quickly power off, but when I go back to the box, nothing.

The cloning glitch only worked in Gold and Silver if I remember correctly. I tried to do the same thing in Crystal but it didn't work. Instead my character's gender swapped (don't ask why).

If this is the same cloning glitch I'm thinking of, that is. If not... I don't know what to tell you.

EDIT: Yes, it is the one I'm thinking of. It won't work in Crystal.

In G/S, there is a very long period of time between when the game writes and saves the PC data, and when it writes and saves the party data. In Crystal, this time period is much much shorter.

In G/S, you can shut it off anytime between "SAVING..." (after the three periods) and before the period in "POWER."

In Crystal, you have about 0.1 second or so. You must shut it off just as the period in "POWER." appears.

So basically, it does work in Crystal, but it's much harder to do.

• 5 months later...
if anyone wants to use that trick then watch out, there is the risk that the savefile can become corrupted which brings the neccesary trouble with it.

a friend of mine had that a few years ago, his game won't even save anymore.

It is possible his internal game battery died out. My Gold version has the same problem... it will not save anymore, but I do not think it has anything to do with this glitch.

It is possible his internal game battery died out. My Gold version has the same problem... it will not save anymore, but I do not think it has anything to do with this glitch.

It could be it has happened to me twice. I also found no connection between the glitch and the save problem

There is a glitch with the cloning. A friend of mine used it to make boxes of Vulpix or Eevee, can't recall which, and it eventually erased all of them and some other Pokemon. But that was after repeating it many times. However, I do not know if it will erase your whole file. I think this was Gold though.

Edited by amh7912
Specify version.

• 1 month later...

your timing maybe off. the pokemon/item cloning technique works evenly in G/S/C. but remember that the fun part of doing this is having to encounter glitches like this one and not cloning uber legendaries which you can't use all unless it's for gift purposes.

In G/S, there is a very long period of time between when the game writes and saves the PC data, and when it writes and saves the party data. In Crystal, this time period is much much shorter.

In G/S, you can shut it off anytime between "SAVING..." (after the three periods) and before the period in "POWER."

In Crystal, you have about 0.1 second or so. You must shut it off just as the period in "POWER." appears.

So basically, it does work in Crystal, but it's much harder to do.

actually you wait until about half a second after the period in SAVING. DON'T TURN OFF THE POWER. appears

EDIT:

oh, i missed the part where you said just as the period in power appears

at least i clarified it a little

Edited by randomcouchpotato

• 3 months later...

Cloning has never caused me problems...but I attempted to clone my entire team earlier today. My save is fine but box 9 is now inaccessible- the only way to see it is by moving pokemon w/o mail. Looking into the box is very strange- random ?'s and symbols fill the entire screen.

The Cloning Glitch works perfectly for G/S/C and its done all the same. Ok you are only suppose to clone 4 pokemon at a time. The reason why is because when you clone more than 4 pokemon, one or more pokemon will have the symbol [?] for its name. When this happens, your box will be fill with [?] every where. Once this happens, you will need to release the pokemon with the [?] for its name. If you keep that pokemon your game will eventaully become corrupted.