Modding B/W Pokemon Sprites

Abacus

try using tinke 0.8.3 r134 : http://www.box.com/s/1f3feddae203ddbf7243 (don't worry is not containing a virus)

this release was support OAM editing so you can moving that part as you like ;) but i not test this, i just compile new release from google code owo

is just missing : nanr editor and nbtx reinsert support owo

Haha... Is... Is there an English version? ._.

Edit: Oh, whoops. Found the language tab. Sorry! xD

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try using tinke 0.8.3 r134 : http://www.box.com/s/1f3feddae203ddbf7243 (don't worry is not containing a virus)

this release was support OAM editing so you can moving that part as you like ;) but i not test this, i just compile new release from google code owo

is just missing : nanr editor and nbtx reinsert support owo

Who was your post for? Anyway, thanks I tried tinke and got it to export this.

File23_0..png

But i couldn't make it import. It wouldn't even import the same file that it had exported itself.

My goal is to replace the Oshawott sprite with Totodile. I also want to replace Tepig with Charmander. Snivy can remain. Andibad, if you ever have time, can you try to replace the Oshawott with Totodile and post a video tutorial. I know I'm asking A LOT but please try, if you can find time. Here is a link for Jing, a video recording program.

http://www.techsmith.com/download/jing/default.asp If you can't, thanks SO MUCH for your help, I've made lots of progress because of you.

File23_0..png.7ad56cbdf4a8e461136aad89a4

@Detective: ... maybe yes maybe no xD , i have free time but my internet connection is no have free time xD i mean is have problem with my ISP this week. btw you trying change sprite on pokemon selection? i think zark was done on that part, check he/she personal project on he/she blog. but he have a problem about "shadow", because the "shadow" sprite is stored on texture (nsbtx/ btx0, or on models texture file).

another OAM editor is AAI2 Sprite Studio, you can try it. btw i trying re-organize my files on my portable hard disk, maybe i will found a interesting tools was i forgot or maybe was no available on the net (because expired or deleted by user or something).

Thanks Andibad, I will ask Zark about it. I already tried AAI2 editor few days ago. It does everything nicely but replaces the rgcn file with an 'empty' picture. I didn't think it was made for Pokemon... Anyway I am using it now because it deletes the sprite at least.

So, am I right in thinking that OAM is to do with the animations? Do you need to be familiar with OAM to edit animations, or is there some sort of user-friendly program for it? I looked at Tinke but it was a little vague - there were a lot of buttons and no obvious way to use them to an animation amateur like me. Is AAI2 any better?

Kazo - While I'm extremely grateful for your Pokemon sprite editing tool, I can't seem to open a/0/0/4 in CT2 after having used your tool on it. Might you know why, and might you know any way around this?

Dunno if this has anything to do with it, but sometimes I get troubles opening things in CrystalTile and in ConsoleTool whenever the file extension has changed; usually this is when the file extension has changed from .NDS to .nds. I have to change it back for it to work again. This particular problem I only had with ConsoleTool but I had similar problems with CrystalTile.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe, It all depends if i have the time and equipment. In this tutorial i'm will be :

- Changing the basic sprites, back and front, of pokemon

- Editing movesets and type

- Changing Pokedex entry and name

SOZ GUIZ!

Video capture software didn't want to work today, so This is the tutorial.

So the first thing you want to do is extract the files in a/0/0/4.narc with Tinke.

Download Here

The open BWSE 2 by Kazo and select the "pokemon" function.

filesintinkebwsecopy.png

open the folder with the extracted files.

It will ask to rename the files. DO IT.

renamefilesyescopy.png

, and look for the pokedex number of the pokemon you're editing.

insert your "front" sprite that has all the parts broken up like the pokemon you're overwriting.

hercg.png

then press "sync pal" and import the back sprite. This should have the EXACT same colors as the front sprite.

nextspritesyncpalonback.png

deselect "back" sprite, and select shiny. Turn of sync pal and import a front sprite of your pokemon that has the same colors in the same place, but has a new palette (new set of colors)

you can do this in Photoshop, paint.net, or by importing that sprite into Gamemaker and changing the hue (i prefer this method.)

fixdi.png

make sure none of the sprites glitched up and exit the program.

Open "Kiwi DS" and select "make narc file". select that edited folder and DO NOT make a file table.

kiwids.png

overwrite a/0/0/4 with this new file

and it should come out something like this

[video=youtube;pgYXg-dHiuw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYXg-dHiuw

Edited by Khari

SOZ GUIZ!

Video capture software didn't want to work today, so This is the tutorial...

This is great, Khari, but what you seem to be teaching us to do in this tutorial is simply change the colours. This is something that the community has already perfected - in this very thread! - using ConsoleTool. I think the ConsoleTool method is far easier, less complex. What we can't do with full effectiveness yet is edit the actual pixels of the sprite, aka change the shape of the Pokémon, so that complete Fakemons will be possible. I believe that currently we are able to do SOME things with the pixels, but what we're currently struggling with is finding a way to completely change the shape of the Pokémon while still keeping the animation intact. I think that we're going to need some information on how to edit the OAM etc. I don't know much about this sort of thing myself, though, so I wouldn't be able to help with that.

Although I do see that you only posted this tutorial about 6 hours ago, so maybe you are going to make me look like a complete fool by uploading a full tutorial soon after I post this!

Oh, nonono it's not just changing colors. I didn't use the greatest example but that is a different sprite. You just keep the parts on the same place as the pokemon. Notice that one of Celebii's arms are missing and blood in it's empty eyes? That's all there is to it! Put the new parts on top of older ones of about the same size and it still animates!

Here, i'll just edit the last tutorial a bit to make it clearer.

Edited by Khari

Oh, nonono it's not just changing colors. I didn't use the greatest example but that is a different sprite. You just keep the parts on the same place as the pokemon. Notice that one of Celebii's arms are missing and blood in it's empty eyes? That's all there is to it! Put the new parts on top of older ones of about the same size and it still animates!

Here, i'll just edit the last tutorial a bit to make it clearer.

Ah, I see. Well, I tried to edit Snivy in such a way, as you'll see a little further up. All I did was change the shape of its tail from spiky to a sort of quarter-clover shape, and it never appeared. I'll give your method a shot but it's not much different from the other method.

Perhaps you should consider posting a tutorial on the specifics of how to edit etc?