Pressure and Levitate

Skyblade

Is any one else getting really sick of seeing these moves on 90% of the legendaries in the game? I mean, with Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza, we had legendaries who had unique abilities that were useful and matched the Pokemon's lore. Now, though, we're right back in the rut of having legendaries that only know those two moves. Ok, it's not totally fair. Regigigas has the crippling Slow Start, so that's a new unique one. Manaphy knows Hydration, which at least is unique among the legendaries. And Darkrai and Arceus both have nice unique abilities, if people could actually get those Pokemon without going to events. But, seriously, is Game Freak so stalled out for ideas that they can't come up with any new abilities for their legendary Pokemon?

Once they make the abilities (pretty much like base stats), all are set in stone :-/

You know Gamefreak isn't exactly the smartest game company on Earth (at one point they give Tail Whip and Leer to Rhydon and in the next generation they took out LEER, not TAIL WHIP. I LOL @ Tail Whipping Rhyhorn).

I was expecting them to give Lugia and Ho-oh Drizzle and Drought respectively, but in Gen III they were lazy with the Pokemon that did not appear in R/S. In fact, many of their movepool remained the same from G/S/C.

I did not like that whole pressure thing, but then again, it looks perfect for the Uber tier to make matches much shorter. Although that Pressure-stalling Cosmic Power/Taunt/Recover/Seismic Toss Deoxys-Speed can screw things up so badly, pressure works perfectly in the uber battles. It really isn't as bad as you think. I know, GF is very uncreative, but what can I tell you? It's Gamefreak... those monkeys in Gamefreak like to make the stronger Pokemon stronger and the weaker Pokemon weaker. What are you going to do? :P

I'm fine with Pressure.

Levitate is a different story. Specifically on Flygon.

It's a biased excuse for not being able to have the flying type.

They should have made flying a feature not a type.

Then Flygon would get a useful ability (sandstream? D: ) and ground moves wouldn't hit the Pokemon like Beedrill, Venomoth or Scizor.

and maybe even stuff like Shuppet or Froslass

Also some Pokemon could get types they now don't, like Zubat line could be Poison/Dark

Levitate seems to be overkill, but it does balance out the metagame a bit or else Earthquake would be very rampant. I realized some Pokes that you mentioned SHOULD have Levitate, and yes, that's true. Want to know something funny? Play Yellow version and try to use a Ground move on Venomoth and Beedrill. It WILL miss ALL the time. I'm not even joking. It seems like it was implemented then and was taken out... I don't know why.

yeah pressure i dont realy mind but ''Barfs'' EW levitate is just plane annoying, like in a Cresselia which i gota say it is like the cheapest pokemon in the OU tier, and i am not saying that it is bad just like Game freak kinda screwd with her stats i mean 120 hp 120 def 120 spD? and it could use moon light....and it also can evade ground type moves cause of levitate,another thing, i think Dusknoir should have levitate instead of pressure i mean seriously WTF? In the game he is sorta hovering from the ground,,Anyways I also dont understand why an areodactal has pressure,and flygon,Flygon Should have sandstream or sand veil [what ever it is]...anywho's

~mori<3

That is annoying...especially since pressure is useless in game because the opponents will never run out of PP. I'm right on that...I think...Levitate is a different story, that is useful but I'd prefer a more unique fun ability. Get creative.

Well it looks like someone hasn't seen PressureDactyl, or other forms of those move set Pokemon, but the ability's sometimes determine the outcome of the battle, like with Drought, Drizzle, and Hydration, it makes the uber Pokemon, more well....Uber.

That is annoying...especially since pressure is useless in game because the opponents will never run out of PP. I'm right on that...I think...Levitate is a different story, that is useful but I'd prefer a more unique fun ability. Get creative.

You haven't seen Greencat's Pressure Deoxys-Speed in Uber battling, now have you? (Chubby v2.0 is scarier than his Clefable... trust me, I KNOW!) Things DO run out of PP faster than you think. I had my Pressure stalling Moltres take down Heatran one on one thanks to the stalling and all. Articuno helped me take down bulky waters because of pressure. Pressure DOES help, but not on stuff that are fragile like Aerodactyl (although Rock Head won't do him any better anyhow) and Absol. But Pressure is an interesting concept if you know how to take advantage of it.

As for levitate, I realized that most Pokes that do get Levitate would be WEAK to Ground moves without it. Gengar and Weezing comes into mind (along with Solrock, Lunatone and a whole bunch of others...)

Creative?! LOL! You're asking GAMEFREAK to be creative :D

Each legendary (from now on, if there is a generation 5) should get it's own unique ability. That would make it more interesting. I feel like all legendaries have pressure, and that sucks. <O_o "gasp! he said sucks! AHHHH!!!! IT IS THE APOCALYPSE!!!! RUN!!!"

You haven't seen Greencat's Pressure Deoxys-Speed in Uber battling, now have you? (Chubby v2.0 is scarier than his Clefable... trust me, I KNOW!) Things DO run out of PP faster than you think. I had my Pressure stalling Moltres take down Heatran one on one thanks to the stalling and all. Articuno helped me take down bulky waters because of pressure. Pressure DOES help, but not on stuff that are fragile like Aerodactyl (although Rock Head won't do him any better anyhow) and Absol. But Pressure is an interesting concept if you know how to take advantage of it.

As for levitate, I realized that most Pokes that do get Levitate would be WEAK to Ground moves without it. Gengar and Weezing comes into mind (along with Solrock, Lunatone and a whole bunch of others...)

Creative?! LOL! You're asking GAMEFREAK to be creative :D

Well I didn't think of it that way. However, I do prefer more unique abilities like kyogre's drizzle just because of how unique it is. No other pokemon has that ability. When 7 other pokemon have the same ability i get bored of it.

Plus, it doesn't kill people to be creative.

Even then, Pressure is somewhat creative. I know, that whole "everyone has Pressure" turns me off too. However, perhaps it was implemented for a reason... or it's just the fact that those monkeys at Gamefreak were lazy at Generation III and gave everything Pressure :-/

Maybe they were under to much pressure because everyone expected them to practically levitate their ideas were so created, so they put their two problems into abilities? Maybe...I mean...I heard that the release of super smash bros. brawl was delayed because some guy wanted to add tripping to the game...O.o what was he thinking?

Legendaries having a variety of abilities would be nice. Like how Kyogre and Groudon have unique abilities.

But if the legends changed their pattern, wouldn't it make sense if starters stopped having one of three abilities and got different ones?

Yeah, the starter abilities are repetitive and quite annoying. I dont like having to try and utilize torrent or blaze or even thinking about it. I want an obvious effect like drizzle. That would be nice on a water type or sunny day, that would also be nice.

Or overgrow should boost plant type moves and torrent should boost water, and blaze should boost fire with not having to be in a pinch. I like more immediate creative effects. I think both of them need to change.

You have NO idea how useful Torrent is. Or SubPetaya sets activating Torrent with Empoleon on an Agility set. Seriously... that thing dominates, and if it wasn't for Torrent, he wouldn't score those OHKOs that are needed. Torrent also powers up Feraligatr and after a couple of DDs that Waterfall sweep is awesome :)

It's always situational... it depends on how you play it. I love having Blaze activate on Bellyzard after a Sub and a Belly Drum (and once Salac kicks in...)

Giratina can have either Levitate or Pressure. Double the uncreativeness?

Ok ok...you got me. I just like more obvious ones. Like intimidate or wonderguard because if its not the right type then its obvious. Or drizzle and drought. Sandstream and snow warning are also some of my favorites.

Sometimes, subtlety can catch the opponent off-guard when he/she least expects it. I've lost count of the amount of times my very own Empoleon activated Torrent to OHKO with a neutral Hydro Pump, and then remember where that power boost came from after the battle.

It can be a good thing that the game never says anything when the starters' abilities are activated. And anyway, if those abilities were activated without the pinch limit, it would make the starters' STAB moves too overpowered.

Like wraith89 said, Pressure can be a pain when facing stalling Pokemon, like the aforementioned Giratina or the gimmicky PressureDactyl. It all comes down to how you utilise the Pokemon.

Clearly then I'm doing something wrong. I think the fact that giratina's ability switches is creative because that is unique to him the switching part making the uncreativeness not there because it was creative. I guess that ability pressure is more helpful in competitive battling but in game because ingame foes dont run out of PP its useless. I guess it does depend on what you want to do...crush your friends...or beat the game. With pressure it would be easier to crush your friends then beat the game.

to be honest, I don't find levitate and pressure to be that awfully bad (although there are some pokemon that should probably levitate that don't, and some that have pressure that doesn't exactly make sense (aerodactyl and weavile, anyone?)

As far as the weather-making abilities go (a new subject I want to start up on), I personally think that the weather is TOO effective. at least give it a cut-off once the pokemon switches out (three-five turns sounds good enough to me), or otherwise sandstorm and hail are entirely useless moves with the likes of hippowdon, T-tar, and Abomasnow in the game. I know lots of people will disagree with me, but I don't see how the endless hailstorm or sandstorm is in effect when the pokemon causing it is gone.

70% of the Legendary Pokémon having these two abilities, namely Pressure, defeats the purpose of them being legendary. Being classified in such a way means you are unique, it's only fitting you have a unique ability to yourself or it be very limited.

70% of the Legendary Pokémon having these two abilities, namely Pressure, defeats the purpose of them being legendary. Being classified in such a way means you are unique, it's only fitting you have a unique ability to yourself or it be very limited.

Being a Legendary Pokemon doesn't inherently mean anything, including being "unique." Sure, there are many Legendary Pokemon with unique traits, such as a signature move, ability, or unique typing. But just because one might lack it doesn't make it not Legendary, or even bad. The only rule of being a Legendary Pokemon is being deemed so by Game Freak.

Pretty much every gen has "broken" a rule made up by fans. Gen II had the trio roaming instead of being stationary, Gen III introduced a legendary with no in-game location (still true as of now) in Jirachi and showed that Legendary Pokemon can have genders (Lati). And Gen IV showed that a singular legendary Pokemon can be either gender (Heatran), and that Legendary Pokemon can breed (Phione can make more Phione with Ditto, Maanphy makes Phione with Ditto).

There's a few more differences that I left out too.

I think Pressue is a great trait for a Legendary Pokemon to have. Powerful moves like Thunder, Fire Blast, and so on have low PP, and Pressure can quickly make them go away. Levitate...eh, depends on what Pokemon we're talking about.

Yeah it gives him more immunities...I think you can be more greatful of the ability when it works in your favor.

Gasp! Wraith89 was here...another clue..but it appears I'm the only member viewing the thread..interesting...lets fly drifloon! I've teamed with telos and you cant escape now ghost!