Help Wanted! - Pokémon DS Save Structures

codemonkey85

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Pokémon caught in a Apricorn Ball will have its 0x86 value as follows:

17	0x11	Fast Ball
18	0x12	Level Ball
19	0x13	Lure Ball
20	0x14	Heavy Ball
21	0x15	Love Ball
22	0x16	Friend Ball
23	0x17	Moon Ball
24	0x18	Park Ball (actually not an Apricorn, but you get the idea)

Actually, the bytes 0x86 and 0x87 are probably used, based on the values here:

Below are the new items which can be found in HGSS. The IDs of these items are used in the save file.

492	0x01EC	スピードボール (Fast Ball)
493	0x01ED	レベルボール (Level Ball)
494	0x01EE	ルアーボール (Lure Ball)
495	0x01EF	ヘビーボール  (Heavy Ball)
496	0x01F0	ラブラブボール (Love Ball)
497	0x01F1	フレンドボール (Friend Ball)
498	0x01F2	ムーンボール (Moon Ball)
499	0x01F3	コンペボール (Competition Ball?)
500	0x01F4	パークボール (Park Ball)

It's hard to be sure without testing (which I cannot do now as I am at work), plus the fact that the DPPt ball location is evidently only one byte (since the balls in DPPt ony took up one byte, as opposed to these new ball values).

Mind you, balls that existed in DPPt will be set in this area as well as the DPPt ball location. This area of the data exists soley for compatibility purposes, just like when new met locations were introduced in Platinum.

Excellent work, Grovyle91! In the limited number of posts I've seen of yours, you have done some impressive work.

Feel free to add this info to our wiki.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funniest thing is, when you change your coordinate, the Pokémon that follows you will still have his old coordinates, which means it walks meters behind you, sometimes even through walls or something xD

Interesting... so the Pokémon's location must be stored elsewhere (probably not far away from the player's coordinates).

Keep up the good work, Grovyle91! And by all means, if you'd like to create a wiki page or work on the existing pages, feel free to do so.

FYI: I merged the new items thread and this thread.

Actually, the bytes 0x86 and 0x87 are probably used

Well, I'm not sure about that, since Pokesav won't let me edit 0x87. But I've tested with the values 0x11 and 0x18. Value 0x11 will show up as a Fast Ball, and value 0x18 as a Park Ball. I haven't tested anything between.

Mind you, balls that existed in DPPt will be set in this area as well as the DPPt ball location. This area of the data exists soley for compatibility purposes, just like when new met locations were introduced in Platinum.

That's true. I forgot to mention that. The Poké Balls 0x01 - 0x10 will be stored in 0x86 too.

Excellent work, Grovyle91! In the limited number of posts I've seen of yours, you have done some impressive work.

Thanks :D Normally I haven't anything to talk about... lol xD

Feel free to add this info to our wiki.

Will do ;)

The items and the save structure ;)

Interesting... so the Pokémon's location must be stored elsewhere (probably not far away from the player's coordinates).

I guess so... when I've updated the wiki I'll take a look at that.

Grtzz!!

I've tested with the values 0x11 and 0x18. Value 0x11 will show up as a Fast Ball, and value 0x18 as a Park Ball. I haven't tested anything between.

Hmm. That's interesting. I suppose the likeliest explanation is that there is a completely separate enumeration for the balls that is referenced in these areas, as opposed to just referencing the items enumeration.

Which paragraphs would those be...? If you are referring to how the game loads and / or saves a file, I would actually prefer you didn't just yet, since I need to go back and fix things every so often. I will possibly create a new page dedicated to that process... I'll have to discuss it with SCV and Sabresite.

I've added the items in the wiki now, but since I'm not sure which item is a key item or something else, I've just combined it into one new paragraph. Most of them will be a key item though...

For the rest, I've added the Japanese too since there aren't any officially names in English for it.

Grtzz!!

I've added the items in the wiki now, but since I'm not sure which item is a key item or something else, I've just combined it into one new paragraph. Most of them will be a key item though...

For the rest, I've added the Japanese too since there aren't any officially names in English for it.

Grtzz!!

Great! Don't worry about the layout of the list, I'll play around with it later when I get home. And yeah, might as well use the Japanese names for now until we have official English ones.

• 1 month later...

when i get my r4 (tommorow)(i own 4 differant cartridges of platinum aswell) i'll run through one with one strategy of play on platinum and run through another platinum using a differant strategy see if i find some flags

i'm wondering if there is a flag for the individual arceus plates.....i'll check later

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Well, I've only ever lurked here until now, but I think I've got something worth sharing (at least, if that request list is still up to date)

Pal Pad entries: offset 0x9DB8 to 0xA4B7

It contains 32 blocks of 56-byte structures - each entry is as follows:

0x00-0x10 are for the trainer's group name, oddly enough, with the trainer's name next

0x11-0x20 (right there)

0x21-0x24 Now these four bytes confound me. They must be the friend code, it's the only logical answer for a number of reasons that are pretty obvious after a look at any save with a few entries - but I have no idea how to translate them. Anyway...

0x25-0x28 This pair of 16-bit unsigned integers contain the wins and losses vs. trainer records, respectively

0x29-0x2A also a 16-bit int, number of trades

0x2B-0x2E Date last played, in YYYYMMDD format

0x2F holds the trainer's gender value

0x30 is for their multiplayer avatar (wouldn't it be nice if PKMN Breeder was an option? I've always wanted to show up as one of those)

oh, and 0x31-0x38 are all also 16-bit unsigned integers, corresponding to poffin sessions, SWALOT Plop, MIME JR. Top, and WOBBUFFET Pop.

That's all for the Pal Pad entries. Nothing in there about any of the Battle Frontier records, though that leads me to believe they might be buried somewhere amongst all the other Frontier records.

However, I also happened upon the Journal. I don't have a whole lot about this part worked out yet, so I'm not going to try to explain what I do know for now (that and it's 5AM.) I will point out to anyone curious enough that it begins at 0x5720 and entries seem to be 112 bytes long. the first two bytes seem to contain the date and the second pair the starting location.

Ok, goodnight. hope this helps, and if it doesn't it was fun. it's been years since I really tore into anything with a hex editor :biggrin:

If you wish to help:

There is a long list of things to look for specifically, and here are a few in no particular order (admins and mods feel free to edit this list):

• Flags for which trainers have been battled
  • Flags for which events have been completed (i.e. received items from NPCs, received eggs from NPCs, used medicine on Psyducks, and so on).
  • How shiny one's badges are (from polishing them).
  • The Feebas tile coordinates (or however they're stored).
  • The Pokétch current color (changed with the Color Changer app).
  • How many steps are on the Pokétch Step Counter app.
  • How the Pokétch Dot Artist art is stored.
  • The coordinates of the markings on the Pokétch Marking Map app.
  • How entries in the Pal Pad are stored.
  • How entries in the Journal are stored.
  • The location for the answers chosen for various NPC questions regarding favorite Pokémon etc.
  • Which trendy phrases have been unlocked.
  • Which extra PC wallpapers have been unlocked.
  • Which location has been set by the globe in the GTS / GT building.
  • Which locations have been unlocked on the globe in the GTS / GT building (by trading with people from those locations).
  • Which phrases have been chosen for when a battle is won, lost, etc. in the Battle Tower.
  • Which Battle Frontier symbols have been collected.
  • How battle videos are stored.
  • How underground bag and PC items are stored.
  • How Secret Base location is stored.
  • How information on Secret Base decoration configuration is stored (which pieces and where they are located).
  • How number of Secret Base rocks cleared is stored.
  • How Pal Park last migration date and last migration game is stored.
  • How the game can tell if the DS clock has been changed.
  • Which Key Item (if any) is registered to the Select button.

Ok, goodnight. hope this helps, and if it doesn't it was fun. it's been years since I really tore into anything with a hex editor :biggrin:

Hey! I had some of that figured out, but not posted yet, so thanks! And also many hands make light work, as they say, so welcome aboard!

• 2 months later...

I know that the older Platinum carts have the weird saving issue, but I got mine replaced and I guess the issue was fixed (oddly enough) because it had a 512k save instead of the 256k one. (Thank goodness all I had to do was force my save back-up of my previous cart into a 512k save with Pokesav) Anyway, that's not an issue, is it? I think it's just mirroring the structure of the DP saves.

Oh, and the newer carts are set to actually display in the GTS what Trainers with Pokemon on the GTS are asking for in return, unlike the older carts which lacked that information.

has anyone started work on mapping out data for the villa? i will once i get far enough in my second carts save unless someone else has started work on it.(for those of you with no idea what im talking about fly to the resort area and walk right in platinum only). ive already gone to ar in my main platinum save to be able to map anything

ok, ill let you know once i get far enough to start

EDIT: here is a text document of differences i found between two save files but i cant make heads or tails of it, can someone else take a look at it, im trying to figure out information abouit the villa, as stated 3 posts up

differences.txt

differences.txt

Edited by randomcouchpotato