NDS: How to Backup/Restore your retail cartridge save file for DS games

evandixon

what slot 1 device are you using.

You should get your smallftp to run on xp compatibility.

I'm using an M3 DS Real. It's old, I know, but it's been faithful for me, and I DID get it working a year ago... not sure how, though (I've reformatted several times since, so I don't know like if there was any special settings I did).

I'll try XP Compatibility next time I try running it, hopefully that works. It is a program from 2003 so I'm not shocked if that's why it isn't working properly on Win7.

The slot 1 cart it crashed on was a SuperCard DSTwo.

I'm using an M3 DS Real. It's old, I know, but it's been faithful for me, and I DID get it working a year ago... not sure how, though (I've reformatted several times since, so I don't know like if there was any special settings I did).

I'll try XP Compatibility next time I try running it, hopefully that works. It is a program from 2003 so I'm not shocked if that's why it isn't working properly on Win7.

There's no reason it should fail on a DSTwo.

Try launching it with a homebrew utility like Moonshell or Homebrew Launcher (which I can't find a link to; used to be included with PPSE-DS because of compatibility issues).

I loaded it up with Moonshell on the SuperCard DSTwo, but it's the same problem, it keeps saying there's no write access, and the same problems before that screen too, like no visible directories or files.

I'm at a loss here, why isn't it working? I tried various compatibility modes for smallftpd and they all work the same... which is not at all. Still the same "#0 (or however many times I've tried that session) [account name] - PASV (/)" messages in there.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this is still relevant, but it was my breakthrough of the week last week so I'm pretty excited about it.

Anyhow, I found it much easier to get Save Game Manager to connect to an "Ftp Server" app (thats the name of the free App that worked best for me and it's super simple) on my Android tablet.

The best part of using android is that It can make a Portable Wi-fi Hotspot so you dont even have to have internet access or mess with router setting/compromise security. Some FTP apps wont connect to a network being broadcast by the same device though, if your interested I can post the specific publisher of the app I use.

For reference, I used a DS lite, R4igold3ds, and android 4.2.2; also, I can confirm that it will not work in any config. on a DSi.

This is a late reply but evandixon ended up sending me a solution that was a very simple one, though one I overlooked.

Right-click the folder you're trying to send the savefile to and click Properties. Then click Security. Make sure all user accounts (yes, even the ones you're not using) are set to allow all of the listed (Read/Write/Modify/etc) permissions.

The FTP homebrew wasn't lying when it said it had no permission to write - it just didn't know if the program or the folder had no permission.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm new here and not very advanced in hacking--I was wondering if you could clarify some things for me? (Yes, I know this is an old thread but it appears to still be active and I'm hoping to get some advice without clogging the forums with yet another topic)

1. What is homebrew? I looked up the definition and all that came up was stuff about homemade alcohol--I'm pretty sure you were not referring to that.

2. What do you mean by backing up a file? Do you mean restoring an old save file, or (an obvious meaning but, like I said, I don't know much about "hacking") saving said file as a back-up so that if yours is lost you can restore it, or...?

3. Is there a guide for Black 2 and White 2, or does this guide work for those as well?

Sorry if I sound stupid, asking all of these questions, but I would like to know at least a little of what I'm doing before I jump right in and ruin everything.

Hello, I'm new here and not very advanced in hacking--I was wondering if you could clarify some things for me? (Yes, I know this is an old thread but it appears to still be active and I'm hoping to get some advice without clogging the forums with yet another topic)

1. What is homebrew? I looked up the definition and all that came up was stuff about homemade alcohol--I'm pretty sure you were not referring to that.

2. What do you mean by backing up a file? Do you mean restoring an old save file, or (an obvious meaning but, like I said, I don't know much about "hacking") saving said file as a back-up so that if yours is lost you can restore it, or...?

3. Is there a guide for Black 2 and White 2, or does this guide work for those as well?

Sorry if I sound stupid, asking all of these questions, but I would like to know at least a little of what I'm doing before I jump right in and ruin everything.

Those are not stupid questions at all. I hope that these answers will help.

1. Homebrew is just a program made by somebody other than Nintendo or an authorized developer (i.e. you made it home) that is capable of being ran on the DS.

2. Well, you are actually right here, but you can do more. By backing up a save, you can back it up and then restore it at will. Say for instance that you would like to start a new game but don't want to lose your Pokemon from this play through. Just back up your save and erase the file on the cart. You can then restore it later if you want to. It also means that you can alter the save backup as well using a save editor such as Pokegen. Once you are done, you can then rewrite the save to your cart at will.

3. This guide will work for Black 2 and White 2. This is a great guide for the beginner on what you need for the basic setup. Pokegen has it's own guides elsewhere on the forum to guide you on how to use it.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?6424-Download-link-and-information

Hope that these answers help you out.

It's a device that you can plug your cart into and connect it to your computer. Think of it like a specialized SD card reader.

For example: http://www.amazon.com/NDS-Adapter-Plus-Nintendo-Windows-PC/dp/B007QVG3LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400700776&sr=8-1&keywords=ds+save+dongle

I'm not endorsing the product though. I use flash carts myself because they have many more uses in the long run than just save backups.

Okay, thanks a bunch for all the help! And sorry for all of my late responses too, I'm trying to figure out how to Set a Pokemon in PokeGen.

No problem. You set a Pokemon by right clicking on a box slot and then set.

• 3 months later...

Hi there!

I'm trying to backup Black 2's savefile to my PC. My equipment is as follows:

*A DS Lite, an up-to-date DSTWO with Pokedoc's savegame manager version 0.2.4 (0.3RC1 crashes upon startup), and an original Black 2 cartridge

*A PC with Windows 8 x64, smallftpd at the appropriate version and all settings according to savegame manager's manual, and a shared folder with access granted to everyone to read/write on Windows (folder path is "C:\ poke", ignore the space over there, an appears without it), and Firewall turned off. PC is connected to the house's network through ethernet cable.

*A laptop with the same conditions, except it has WiFi capabilities.

*The house's network has password protection by WEP protocol.

I've tried to handle the process with the PC first. I connected the DS to the WiFi and used the right password. I used Black 2 to access the WiFi settings and got the whole "Nintendo shut down the WFC services bla bla bla" so I figured it's working.

When I booted the DSTWO on savegame manager then swapped the cartridge, it seemed as if the DS managed to connect to the PC. smallftpd showed some message about a client connected and had the word "PSAV" or something like that inside it. The DS showed that it began to write "PokemonBlack2.0.sav", and it showed it's on 0%.

The trouble is, it's been on 0% for over 10 minutes. Eventually the client message disappeared from smallftpd.

I proceeded to repeat the same process on my laptop. To make sure it's not a network protection issue, I used my phone's tethering capabilities and connected both my laptop and my DS to an open AndroidAP access point. The same situation repeated itself - 0% for a good 15 minutes and a message that appears then disappears on smallftpd.

What should I do? Is there any solution? Is there any other tool considering it's been 3 years since the OP was created?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the fantastic informative thread, hopefully I will find a solution.

EDIT: apparently there was this single setting I either forgot or didn't notice about using local IP rather than something else. This solved the problem, though now I have a problem with Pokegen that I'm going to ask about at the right place.

EDIT:

I followed this tutorial:

And everything is fine till I start the smallftpd and I get a message that says "Unable to bind socket. Make sure no other" and it doesn't start when I press the play bottom. How do I fix his?

2nd EDIT:

The answer is: Just change the FTP Port to any other random number :lel:

Edited by Baby V Alex

• 11 months later...