NDS: How to Backup/Restore your retail cartridge save file for DS games

evandixon

Just a question, since the Topic was made in Aug 2nd, 2011 and everything about HeartGold seems to be from 2011.

Right now there are Flashcarts who run on 3DS, like DSONEi or DSTWO.

Even so, is still impossible to backup a HG using a 3DS, a Flashcart and the Original Pkmn Cart? (Not using external hardware, just software)

Unfortunately, no. With a DS/DS lite, a flashcart, original cartridge, and Wifi, you could run software, remove the flashcart then insert the legit cart to backup the save over Wifi. But, the DSi and 3DS remove power from the DS slot when the flashcart is removed, so you will need additional hardware.

Unfortunately, no. With a DS/DS lite, a flashcart, original cartridge, and Wifi, you could run software, remove the flashcart then insert the legit cart to backup the save over Wifi. But, the DSi and 3DS remove power from the DS slot when the flashcart is removed, so you will need additional hardware.

Ahh now everything makes sense.

Dang, gotta rob a friend's DS/Lite to make my backup, then :P

Thank you very much for the answer.

• 4 weeks later...

ok so i did the whole thing in the first post, but im still confused. I dont know what firmware or what ever is on my ar dsi. but i want to make a save of my black/white versions and i am told everytime that there isnt cartridge inserted when there is. i also have a micro sd card that i got just for maing and editing save files. so i am wondering is there any other way to make a save file with or with out the use of the ar dsi?

ok so i did the whole thing in the first post, but im still confused. I dont know what firmware or what ever is on my ar dsi. but i want to make a save of my black/white versions and i am told everytime that there isnt cartridge inserted when there is. i also have a micro sd card that i got just for maing and editing save files. so i am wondering is there any other way to make a save file with or with out the use of the ar dsi?

Unfortunately, the Action Replay DSi cannot backup/restore the save files for Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black 2/White 2. You might be able to another way if you have a DS lite (or original DS) and Wifi. If you don't, you'll need additional hardware.

Unfortunately, the Action Replay DSi cannot backup/restore the save files for Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black 2/White 2. You might be able to another way if you have a DS lite (or original DS) and Wifi. If you don't, you'll need additional hardware.

well, i have wifi but no original ds or ds light. Just Dsi xl. Additional hardware? like what?

well, i have wifi but no original ds or ds light. Just Dsi xl. Additional hardware? like what?
I have insufficient hardware. So what now?

You have several options. If you just want to send/recieve Pokemon from any DS Pokemon game (generatoin 4 or 5), then you can use http://www.pokecheck.org/

If not, you could buy the hardware required for some of the options above (like an Action Replay DSi with a microSD card slot and DSi; or a flashcart, regular DS [as in before DSi], and an EZ Flash 3in1), or you can try a USB backup adapter (which is recommended).

There are three USB adapters that I know of:

NDS Backup Adapter Plus:

Pros:

-Supports updates so games that currently are unsupported may be supported in the future.

-Supports backing up games with IR ports

-Supports backing up 3DS save files (with firmware upgrade v3.0)

-Simple software. Beginner friendly.

Cons:

-Windows 7 64 bit drivers require Driver Signature Enforcement to be overridden. Options include pressing F8 on start up then selecting Disable Driver Signature Enforcement, or using the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider. Use these steps to use it on the Windows 8 preview[/url].

-Doesn't backup ROM data (however, this will save you legal trouble)

Where to buy:

Console Source - I recommend these guys (at least for Canada and US residents). However, the price is higher than at other places.

Renchi - I haven't heard of these guys until I did a bing search to find other stores to link to here. Buy at your own risk (however, they may still be a good store)

Quicker Buy - Same story as Renchi

SMS4:

SMS4:

Pros:

-Supports updates so games that currently are unsupported may be supported in the future.

-Supports backing up games with IR ports

-Supports backing up 3DS games

-Supports backing up NDS ROMS

Cons:

-I have yet to find a store in or adjacent to the United States that sells one.

-Its software is confusing, and in order to have full functionality. you must use two programs. I've put together a package that should make figuring this out way easier.

-Requires these steps in order to work on the latest Windows 8 preview[/url]

Where to buy:

IC2005

Digitopz - Where I bought mine from. Their shipper's tracking system was fail, but it got here right on time.

Like the NDS Backup Adapter Plus or SMS4

• 1 month later...

I´ve been googling for the past hour and this is the most promising thread I´ve come across so hopefully it's the correct place to ask this.

I´ve recently bought a 3ds XL (my first handheld since GBA) and I pre-ordered Pokemon Black 2.

I have played Pkmn White on an Emulator (DSmuME) and don't want to buy/play it all over again.

However, I do want to enable the features that come with beating B/W. So is it possible to get my save file (after converting it I guess) onto my 3ds/SD card? And how would I go about it?

Thank in advance

I´ve been googling for the past hour and this is the most promising thread I´ve come across so hopefully it's the correct place to ask this.

I´ve recently bought a 3ds XL (my first handheld since GBA) and I pre-ordered Pokemon Black 2.

I have played Pkmn White on an Emulator (DSmuME) and don't want to buy/play it all over again.

However, I do want to enable the features that come with beating B/W. So is it possible to get my save file (after converting it I guess) onto my 3ds/SD card? And how would I go about it?

Thank in advance

If you played Pokémon White 1 on an emulator, then you cannot get that save on a Black 2 cartridge, period.

If you played Pokémon White 2, then you'd need a USB save adapter (see original post, NDS Backup Adapter Plus, or SMS4).

I think he wanted to do the Unova Link features, in which case he would have to get a retail cartridge of White, then restore his DeSmuME save file to the retail cart in order to access the Unova Link features.

I think he wanted to do the Unova Link features, in which case he would have to get a retail cartridge of White, then restore his DeSmuME save file to the retail cart in order to access the Unova Link features.

I wasn't aware of that feature until now, but he'd still need the hardware I mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I got the SMS4, and for some reason my AntiVirus program keeps flagging the installation disc as well as the package in the first post by saying that they have malware. Can anyone reassure me that the files are safe and that these are just false-positives I'm getting? Particularly the package from the first post. Sorry if I sound distrustful towards to the topic creator, I just want to make sure that it's just a problem on my end with my AV. Thanks for the informative topic anyways.

• 5 weeks later...

I read through it and nothing seemed to help unless I'm doing something wrong. I basically just want to load up my save file from DesMuMe which I believe is a .DSV file type. I found the unique geeks site through google and converted it as such. I have the Action Replay with the Micro SD card slot so I simply put the converted save file in the MYSAVES folder that was automatically created when I was testing the backing-up of a Platinum retail cart I have. When I get to the part of choosing the save it isn't reading the Pokemon White retail cart I have in the AR and tells me to turn the power off and insert it. Any idea on what's going on? BTW the FIRST attempt at this it did do some type of loading bar action and that was it but when I went into the game I still had the original save file I had to begin with. Hope someone can help

I read through it and nothing seemed to help unless I'm doing something wrong. I basically just want to load up my save file from DesMuMe which I believe is a .DSV file type. I found the unique geeks site through google and converted it as such. I have the Action Replay with the Micro SD card slot so I simply put the converted save file in the MYSAVES folder that was automatically created when I was testing the backing-up of a Platinum retail cart I have. When I get to the part of choosing the save it isn't reading the Pokemon White retail cart I have in the AR and tells me to turn the power off and insert it. Any idea on what's going on? BTW the FIRST attempt at this it did do some type of loading bar action and that was it but when I went into the game I still had the original save file I had to begin with. Hope someone can help

The Action Replay DSi can only backup/restore save files of cartridges without an IR port (basically anything besides Pokémon HG/SS/Black/White/Black2/WHite2). You'll need a USB adapter unless you have a flashcart, DS lite (or original DS), and either an EZ Flash 3in1 or Wifi. If you don't have any of those, I recommend a USB adapter (under the "I have insufficient hardware" section of the original post).

OK, so after running around the forums trying to find out how this pgf thing works, basically, it doesn't, if you only own a 3DS... and my only option is Pokecheck?... anyone able to redirect me to the thread explaining why I keep getting "Server Error in '/' Application." for specific G V pokemon, I'll keep looking, but I don't care much if the pokemon is illegit, I just want them to work...

• 3 weeks later...
Pardon me for my stupidity but what is homebrew and how does it work?

Some programmers are able to program things that work on the DS (games, tools, etc.), without having Nintendo sell it in stores on cartridges. Some unofficial devices, called flashcarts, can run these on the DS hardware. Some homebrew programs are great. Like Moonshell. It can play music and videos on the DS (though now DSi's and 3DS's have limited support for this). The homebrew linked to in the first post of this thread can backup and restore save files on retail cartridges, if you have the right hardware. If you have a 3DS or DSi and are new to flashcarts, I would just recommend a USB adapter like the the NDS Backup Adapter Plus, SMS4, or R4i Save Dongle.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a DS Lite. Is this what I need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nintendo-Datel-Action-Replay-Cheat-System-for-3DS-DSi-XL-DSi-DS-Lite-/360480821851?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item53ee54d25b

Is it safe? Is there any chance to damage my cartridge? I just wanna get my wonder cards back when I restart the game...

Thanks for help. Is it safer editting save files through Action Replay with micro SD card slot?

Thanks for help. Is it safer editting save files through Action Replay with micro SD card slot?

Yes, because you can make a backup of the save file (given that you aren't editing HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black2/White2) so if anything goes wrong then you're fine.

However, the Action Replay with a microSD card slot is no longer made so you'll be lucky if you can find one (unless you already have it).

Yes, because you can make a backup of the save file (given that you aren't editing HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black2/White2) so if anything goes wrong then you're fine.

However, the Action Replay with a microSD card slot is no longer made so you'll be lucky if you can find one (unless you already have it).

D: I want to edit my HeartGold to get the wonder cards (only for this). Is there any problem with HeartGold?