NDS: How to Backup/Restore your retail cartridge save file for DS games

evandixon

From the first post of this thread.

Spoilers removed.

I have insufficient hardware. So what now?

You have several options. You could buy the hardware required for some of the options above, or you can try a USB backup adapter.

I personally recommend the NDS Backup Adapter Plus:

NDS Backup Adapter Plus:

Pros:

-Supports updates so games that currently are unsupported may be supported in the future.

-Supports backing up games with IR ports

-Supports backing up 3DS save files (with firmware upgrade v3.0)

-Simple software. Beginner friendly.

Cons:

-Windows 7 64 bit drivers require Driver Signature Enforcement to be overridden. Options include pressing F8 on start up then selecting Disable Driver Signature Enforcement, or using the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider.

-Doesn't backup ROM data (however, this will save you legal trouble)

Where to buy:

Console Source - I recommend these guys (at least for Canada and US residents). However, the price is higher than at other places.

Renchi - I haven't heard of these guys until I did a bing search to find other stores to link to here. Buy at your own risk (however, they may still be a good store)

Quicker Buy - Same story as Renchi

Alternatively, you could buy an SMS4:

SMS4:

Pros:

-Driver free (makes me want to go buy one right now....)

-Supports updates so games that currently are unsupported may be supported in the future.

-Supports backing up games with IR ports

Cons:

-Doesn't back up 3DS saves. (Comming in a future update. If you have an SMS2, then it currently can.)

Where to buy:

IC2005

You can feel free to ask for insight before purchasing anything. Be sure to post what hardware you already have.

i'm thinking we should be pushing the sms4 over the nds adaptor. it has more functionality, works flawlessly the first time on 64-bit systems, and is only a little more expensive. the software is nicer too. and it now rips 3ds saves with no issue.

Tried using AR DSi to back up save game data, it doesn't recognize that the card is in. If you go to the codes section though, it reads the game just fine. When you try to back up the save data to a Micro SD card, it says it can't find the card. So unfortunately the part in the guide where it says to use an AR DSi is wrong. Apparently from what I've been researching is there is some kind of piracy protection on this game? Well after HG/SS anyway is when it started.

Tried using AR DSi to back up save game data, it doesn't recognize that the card is in. If you go to the codes section though, it reads the game just fine. When you try to back up the save data to a Micro SD card, it says it can't find the card. So unfortunately the part in the guide where it says to use an AR DSi is wrong. Apparently from what I've been researching is there is some kind of piracy protection on this game? Well after HG/SS anyway is when it started.

What game are you trying to back up? The Action Replay DSi (with a micro sd card slot) can't back up any cartridge with an IR port, without additional hardware. (It also can't back up WarioWare DIY, but I don't think anything can yet).

• 4 weeks later...
What isn't working? Are just the buttons disabled, or are the labels not showing anything, like the version of the device you have?

I finally go it to work. A friend of my took a look and found out the drives were not installed right

Update

I had to get a new HD and its now not wanting to install the drives at all.

Edited by jawsisra

• 1 month later...
i'm thinking we should be pushing the sms4 over the nds adaptor. it has more functionality, works flawlessly the first time on 64-bit systems, and is only a little more expensive. the software is nicer too. and it now rips 3ds saves with no issue.

I for one agree. The driver free is by far the greatest thing I could ever want for something like this. I have a Windows 7 64-bit and I am great with routers, but that is all I know as far as computers go. Even though it may be more expensive, the SMS4 is great, especially since it now supports 3ds. Also, it can be used in ROMS, for those interested.

Is it sad that I want to buy 10 of them to get the quantity discount? I am a college student with no job, so obviously money is a huge situation for me. $24 I can spend, $49 I cannot. Besides, I may know some people who would like to have this. It is a win-win in my opinion.

I for one agree. The driver free is by far the greatest thing I could ever want for something like this. I have a Windows 7 64-bit and I am great with routers, but that is all I know as far as computers go. Even though it may be more expensive, the SMS4 is great, especially since it now supports 3ds. Also, it can be used in ROMS, for those interested.

Is it sad that I want to buy 10 of them to get the quantity discount? I am a college student with no job, so obviously money is a huge situation for me. $24 I can spend, $49 I cannot. Besides, I may know some people who would like to have this. It is a win-win in my opinion.

I just purchased an sms4. In 10-12 buisiness days I'll be sure to tell everyone about it.

I'm sure everyone will be eager to hear the news. Also, I want to thank you for this very informative thread. I really like how you put the spoilers to tie in with different responses to the questions. It was rather creative and effective. I'm sure a lot would have been confused or not know what part to read if it wasn't arranged in this manner. Be sure to tell me how the SMS4 is when you receive it in mail. I look forward to hearing about it.

• 4 weeks later...
don't use the stuff on the cd, use this:

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,7346

you don't need 2 programs for anything.

That won't backup 3DS saves or anything with an IR port. The package I linked to includes an earlier version of that which can backup games with an IR port. There's another program on the CD (included in that package) that will backup 3DS saves, but not anything with an IR port.

i just used 1.30 with white, so...?

So that either means that Pokemon Black (U) is much different (very unlikely) or Kaphotics and I are doing something wrong.

Although, there are a variety of games that v1.30 won't back up (Like Code Lyoko and Mario Party DS) when I try; it lists the save file as being 0Kb. It will still backup ROMS though.

I'm assuming that it lists your save file as 4096Kb...

Is your OS x86 or x64? Shouldn't make a difference, as each functioned the same in my experience...

Unless you are using a different OS (besides Windows 7)?

So that either means that Pokemon Black (U) is much different (very unlikely) or Kaphotics and I are doing something wrong.

Although, there are a variety of games that v1.30 won't back up (Like Code Lyoko and Mario Party DS) when I try; it lists the save file as being 0Kb. It will still backup ROMS though.

I'm assuming that it lists your save file as 4096Kb...

Is your OS x86 or x64? Shouldn't make a difference, as each functioned the same in my experience...

Unless you are using a different OS (besides Windows 7)?

no.. i just checked. it's 512kb and opens perfectly in pokegen. x86/x64 or os makes no difference. and yeah, any games that don't work, post about it on the neoflash forums and they will fix it. i don't know what you guys are doing, but i've now done my white and heart gold and they're both fine.