Now what? [Possible Spoilers]

Turtlekid2

Well, the wonderful game series known as Pokemon is now in its fourth generation of games. The franchise has come a long way, spawning a massive trading card game, a successful anime, and several spin-off games. It's brought enjoyment to children (and yes, even adults) worldwide.

Everyone here probably knows all of this already, or is starting to discover it.

Pokemon is truly a great game.

However:

With the recent release of Platinum, and the news regarding the next animated movie (news concerning the so-called "god" Pokemon, Arceus), and the large number of legendary Pokemon, with some being referred to in-game as deities, fans are concerned; controversy has arisen. Is the Pokemon series drawing to a close? If not, how can any legendary Pokemon to come match the high standard that has seemingly been set? In other words, how will GameFreak top a god?

The rival in the latest installment in the main series memorably said that there's no end to Pokemon. But is it true?

Discuss.

That alternate universe Giratina's from? It's only the flip side of ours. So what happens when a new universe is discovered, with new and strange Pokemon to be befriended? Either that or space travel. I've always liked the idea of prehistoric Pokemon, though. I mean, there has to have been more than just the fossilized Pokemon that went extinct. I don't think it's possible for only about a dozen species to be lost in the history of a planet...

I'm really looking forward to the future of this franchise. I'm hoping desperately for the day I can see a combo game containing the fire/leaf[red/blue]-gold/silver-ruby/sapphire-diamond/pearl regions much like how gold/silver gave us the hoenn and kanto cross overs.

Plus with the whole 'how do you one up the god pokemon next generation?' debate, im curious to see where it will go from here. lets face it, nintendo and game freak are not going to let the unstoppable cash cow of pokemon end simply because of a god issue.

The franchise has already contradicted itself. Saying that Mew is the Ancestor of ALL Pokemon, and now they say that Arceus is the 'god' of the Pokemon. (Not sure where I heard/read this but - Arceus created all Pokemon. Wouldn't that make Mew younger then Arceus? If so, how would Mew be the Ancestor?)

I don't believe GameFreak will have Pokemon end with just a 4th Generation. They are making so much money off of this. They will most likely come up with a different story to why another Pokemon tops the 'god' Arceus. Also, they would come up with a whole lot more Pokemon, not to mention a whole new region for us to conquer.

That is my thoughts on it. ^_^

Unless the world ends in the next few months, GF won't stop making another generation til the day they won't make alot of cash with it anymore.

You guys must remember that the psy trio, dimension trio and Arceus are thought of as deities (and even creator of universe) in just one region of the known Japan islands-like Pokemon world, and there is still another half of Japan that hasn't been used (+ all the other world if needs to be).

I can without problems see the next gen happening between Kanto and Sinnoh or Johto and Hoenn, where people live who also know stories about ancient mystic deity whatever pokemon, whom they would believe to have exceptional powers which could have been used for the creation of their region etc.

Cause IMO those Pokemon like Groudon/Kyogre and Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, didn't actually create anything as big as a region. That's just the result of few people having seen a Palkia bend space around it a bit, telling other people, which come up with a story that would explain the past etc...

This is backed up by the fact, that only some people in Hoenn know about Groudon and Kyogre creating the land and the sea, while logically they would have to have created also all the other parts of the world, not to forget no one could have been a witness to this event. And from such a myth I'd assume Kyogre to be a really intelligent creative being, while after awakend in RSE it goes on rampage like a freakin Godzilla or something.

I don't see the contradiction in the Mew/Arceus debate.

It's actually quite fitting and perfect.

We know the following about them:

-many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon (because of having genes of all other Pokemon in it's DNA)

-myths in the Sinnoh region talk about Arceus creating the universe

It really reminds me of the real world creationism/darwinism dilemma, whereas Mew would represent the theory of Evolution, and Arceus a supernatural god.

But the truth is that the Pokemon universe was created by people from the real world hehe..

I kinda have to agree with Klaatu in that maybe they are considered the "gods" of just this region. Maybe in Johto and Hoenn or even a new region they thing other pokemon are gods or whatever. just religeon of the real world, which belives in God, Budda, etc. Or then again they could also pull a "final fantasy" on us and just make a whole new world and only have some or none of the previous poke's there. guess we'll just have to wait and see and speculate.

What I am looking forward to is to be able to travel trough the dimension back to the first generations of games, the old maps if you remember. Like back to Crystal era with new stuff to do now. Would be fun, but lame that that world is still the same, only it is a "far away land"... I am afraid the "new dimension" will just add even more pokemon to get, kinda boring imo. :( I like the story most the most!

With the recent release of Platinum, and the news regarding the next animated movie (news concerning the so-called "god" Pokemon, Arceus),

Strangely enough, there's nothing in the games calling it god, a god, divine, a deity,etc... There's some fairly vague myth stories surrounding the Sinnoh legendary Pokemon, but they usually don't even name a Pokemon. At best, Arceus and co are just like cats and the Egyptians: Animals that were worshiped because ancient people are stupid, and now people know that they're Pokemon.

with some being referred to in-game as deities, fans are concerned; controversy has arisen.

The anime has referred to Dialga and Palkia as "believed to be deities." The games do not, as far as I know (though I haven't extensively memorized Platinum yet, so I could be wrong).

Is the Pokemon series drawing to a close?

It's the second biggest franchsie Nintendo owns the rights too. How could it be drawing to a close?

Gamefreak: Hey Nintendo, we made a "god" Pokemon so we're gonna stop making games.

Nintendo: lolz okayz!

Does anyone actually think that would happen?

If not, how can any legendary Pokemon to come match the high standard that has seemingly been set? In other words, how will GameFreak top a god?

There's no "rule" that future Pokemon or future legendary Pokemon have to "top" the previous gen.

The rival in the latest installment in the main series memorably said that there's no end to Pokemon. But is it true?

I'd be surprised if Pokemon stopped making games 20 years from now. It's a fair bet to say it'll be around for most, if not all, of our lifetimes.

I think that they will keep making games, for about 2 more generations.

After that they are going to have to start making a whole bunch of "2"s and "Z"s, like Porygon. ^-^

This is the closest thing I could even accept to something like it. Like Mario, eventually they'll slow down the making of the "core" games and just make a bunch of spinoff and side games.

The franchise has already contradicted itself. Saying that Mew is the Ancestor of ALL Pokemon, and now they say that Arceus is the 'god' of the Pokemon. (Not sure where I heard/read this but - Arceus created all Pokemon. Wouldn't that make Mew younger then Arceus? If so, how would Mew be the Ancestor?)

While the games do have some continuity errors, that isn't so with Arceus or Mew. They're from different regions and different regions all have different myths surrounding them.

As to Mew, it's only a theory that scientists came up with. It's by no means definite, especially since many Pokemon are man-made (Mewtwo) or digital (Porygon).

I personally want to see a game that takes you through each of the regions, and adds new regions. That each region adds to the list of pokemon. I don't mean to say we add NEW POKEMON to the list, just to say that in Kanto you start with the 150, and as you progress in the game, your pokedex updates with the region with the next generation of pokemon and so on.

It'd be nice to be able to create your own character, as well. I've got a full sprite sheet of my character, Okami, that would be so fun to actually find a way to use in-game. :)

To see the crossing of all of the regions would be nice, because it would add longer gameplay (As if any of us need that, I've got 400+ hours logged into Diamond alone, and 40 logged into Platinum as of right now) And perhaps we could see the relationships of the professors in clearer detail, and show how all of the pokemon myths collide.

You could look at it this way. Each Gen has their own deities and stuff, but maybe its just for that region.

For example, 5th gen region would probably know nothing of Arceus and etc.

Anyways, I'm hoping Pokemon would continue for a long time. Although it may not be the funnest game to some people, its still a great game.

I hope though, that the creativity of Pokemon still stays. As seen in 4th gen, creativity seemed very little (although some of them are pretty cool).

Im loving okamis idea that would be awesome but lets face it its never gonna happen thats why game freak make so much money I think nintendo/gamefreak should have DLC included so extra pokemon could be added till the next generation/revamp of a past one is released

as with the mew and arceus debate I would go with likening arceus to religeon and mew to darwins theory of evolution as someone else said

wow really want customisable sprites now!!! now I wanna run round in a zangoose costume!!!now taht would be cool!!!

Im loving okamis idea that would be awesome but lets face it its never gonna happen thats why game freak make so much money I think nintendo/gamefreak should have DLC included so extra pokemon could be added till the next generation/revamp of a past one is released

The reason a multi-region game (outside of a baren wasteland like Kanto was in Gen II) won't happen is because Gamefreak only makes games for the portable console. There just isn't any room for a quality adventure exploring more than one region.

That means if there ever was a huge multi-region game, it'd be on a home console. And the home console games are, at best, mediocre. But they usually just suck.

Aw, way to rain on my parade. :P

Pokemon started as and will always be a portable console game. I like it better that way. Nintendo's portable console games tend to actually be a pretty good buy even when they're just released, so I can afford a "new" Pokemon game every 2 years or so. But I couldn't keep up with a new $50 Wii game every other year.

A multi-region game would be great. But it'd be made by people who just suck at making games, so it's best to avoid the idea all together.

Pokemon started as and will always be a portable console game. I like it better that way. Nintendo's portable console games tend to actually be a pretty good buy even when they're just released, so I can afford a "new" Pokemon game every 2 years or so. But I couldn't keep up with a new $50 Wii game every other year.

A multi-region game would be great. But it'd be made by people who just suck at making games, so it's best to avoid the idea all together.

That is true. Although, I personally just want our own customizable sprites more than the multiple regions. But if there were a way for them to put all of the regions into a handheld game, customizable characters or not, I'd be in love xD

That is true. Although, I personally just want our own customizable sprites more than the multiple regions. But if there were a way for them to put all of the regions into a handheld game, customizable characters or not, I'd be in love xD

Pokemon Ranch lets you use your Mii characters, so that's KIND Of a customisizable sprite. It'd be great to have it in the main games though.

My realistic addition to the games is changing the Gen I-II cries. They sound like crappy old MIDI files.

Pokemon Ranch lets you use your Mii characters, so that's KIND Of a customisizable sprite. It'd be great to have it in the main games though.

My realistic addition to the games is changing the Gen I-II cries. They sound like crappy old MIDI files.

That's... well... because they kind of are :/

Yeah, the Gen IV story was AWESOME, the pokedex was SAAAAAAAD, and the national dex features where awesome.

They'll top it. You know they will. I just hope they make the Gen V pokedex without pulling it straight from their asses. That and not 86% new/baby forms of old pokemon (Seriously! Like, 23% of the pokemon were non-legendary NEW pokemon. COME ON Game Freak, you can do better!).

And hey! On a home console note, maybe we can wish for an actual GOOD HC game? :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, been reading this and I want to get this off my chest:

I think Pokémon has gone a little bit to far by now letting a 10 year old bastard the "almighty pokémon god creator of all" but... well what can one say... if there is going to be a next gen pokémon (well like 150 more) I'm hoping to see: a dolphin (f*ckers haven't noticed the lack of dolphins in pokémon), a real shark! not a big piranha, a wolf and a tiger (not another electabuzz please)

and as for the legendaries i really would like to see pokémon based on either the "standard" zodiac or chinese zodiac now that would be cool

Also, I would like to see a trainer that's definetly NOT 10-15 years old, more like a grown up...or the ability to customize your character

^ t'would be fun to see a 30 year old collector askig his mom to go out of his house

that wouldn't be just a lol it would be :bidoof: lol

heh-heh-heh

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

they should make my new pokemon ,heh-heh-heh, godtearea and devitron, plus the 4 horsmen of the apocalypse,witch you use to unlock devitron,plus they should make it where your dad actu

With the recent release of Platinum, and the news regarding the next animated movie (news concerning the so-called "god" Pokemon, Arceus), and the large number of legendary Pokemon, with some being referred to in-game as deities, fans are concerned; controversy has arisen. Is the Pokemon series drawing to a close? If not, how can any legendary Pokemon to come match the high standard that has seemingly been set? In other words, how will GameFreak top a god?

Discuss.

Nowhere is it said that Arceus IS a god or that Dialga and Palkia ARE dieties. They are in Sinnoh's mythology. But that is allowed to be just that, mythology of a particular region. A new region can bring a new mythology. Pokemon has been designed so they can keep adding new regions with new mythos ad infinitum.