Hail Team - Probably Also Annoys Destati

The objective of this team is to outlast the enemy while damage over time effects take him out.

[sprite]260[/sprite]

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Torrent

EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/52 SAtk

Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Surf

- Ice Beam

Weaknesses: Grass (x4!)

Resistances: Poison, Rock, Steel, Fire

Immune: Electric

Provides necessary resistances to rock and fire, is another Tyranitar counter, and is a great opener.

[shinysprite]460[/shinysprite]

Obama (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Snow Warning

EVs: 6 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk

Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Substitute

- Leech Seed

- Blizzard

- Grass Knot

---

Weaknesses: Fighting, Flying, Poison, Rock, Bug, Steel, Fire (x4!)

Resists: Ground, Grass, Water, Electric

Abomasnow is used for Snow Warning. He'll open with sub, and proceed to leech seed. Blizzard is used since it has 100% accuracy in hail, and Grass Knot is an additional STAB attack.

[shinysprite]365[/shinysprite]

Walrein (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Ice Body

EVs: 220 HP/244 Def/46 Spd

Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Substitute

- Protect

- Roar

- Blizzard

Weaknesses: Fighting, Rock, Grass, Electric

Resistances: Water, Ice

Standard Stallrein. Switching Substitute and Protect basically allows for 32 turns of stalling which equals up to 200% caused by hail to the opposing team, more if I have SR and toxic spikes out. Roar is there to outspeed the standard Skarmony who tries to whirlwind from my stall, and blizzard is for a strong accurate STAB.

[sprite]473[/sprite]

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Snow Cloak

EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Earthquake

- Ice Shard

- Stone Edge

- Bite

---

Weaknesses: Steel, Fighting, Grass, Water, Fire

Resists: Poison

Immune: Electric

Mamoswine is the main sweeper of the team. Surprisingly fast, and insanely powerful. Earthquake will one-shot Scizors, and he outspeeds them. Ice Shard is a STAB priority attack, Stone Edge gives additional coverage, and Bite was thrown in to mix things up. (I really had no idea what to use in that last slot, so I went with more coverage)

[sprite]073[/sprite]

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Liquid Ooze

EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef

Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Toxic Spikes

- Rapid Spin

- Knock Off

- Surf

Weaknesses: Ground, Electric, Psychic

Resistances: Fighting, Poison, Bug, Steel, Fire, Water, Ice

Tentacruel serves to counter Infernape and Heatran, set up toxic spikes for additional stall damage, rapid spin remove SR, spikes, and knock off to remove leftovers which are countering the hail damage.

[sprite]472[/sprite]

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Hyper Cutter

EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 Spd

Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Swords Dance

- Roost

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

Weaknesses: Water, Ice (x4!)

Resists: Fighting, Poison, Bug

Immune: Ground, Electric

Gliscor is the answer to Lucario and Tyranitar. The Jolly nature and speed ev's allow it to outrun all Lucarios, and go for a OHKO earthquake. Roost restores health, and swords dance allows stone edge to OHKO Gyarados, Dragonite, and Salamences after a SR/Hail.

Please note that Spd is Speed, and SpD is special defense. This confused random before, but since this is how Shoddy exported it, I'm leaving it.

Threats:

[sprite]212[/sprite]

Frankly, I don't have anything that can beat it's Bullet Punch. Gliscor resists it, but I've been told Scizor won't be OHKOed by it, and the second Bullet Punch would finish it off. Not only that, but it's immune to the toxic spikes Tentacruel sets up.

I guess the only thing I would do is suicide Gliscor, and then finish Scizor off with Swampert.

Edited by Aqueel

A hail team? Ooh! I like hail teams (you've seen mine, right?)

I'll give you a full rate soon... I can't just analyze a team immediately :-/

And yes, that Clefable is Greencat's, but I don't think he EV'd it that way. And he's definitely not sharing that set with anyone, I believe. That Clefable's a nuisance :)

And another thing: Hail teams are meant to stall. They rely on indirect damage to destroy their foes while your Pokemon continue to live on. Your team looks like the offensive variant, but would that help? How does Hail benefit your team at all? It looks like a standard team with an Abomasnow stuck in it. However, it can destroy those Zapdos and Scizor though... which is a good thing.

Timid Abomasnow with Focus Punch? I'd stick with Grass Knot to deal with other stuff (many Pokes in the OU tier are heavy)... and plus it gives a secondary STAB move. I'm trying to make a defensive set for him... but I just don't know how...

LOL you named him Obama xD

There is no point on running an Adamant DD Gyarados. Stick with Jolly, and change the EV spread to 36 HP/252 Atk/220 Speed to outrun a positive max speed Electrode after one DD. With the spread you've got, Jolteon WILL outspeed you (most are Timid) and Thunderbolt you even after one DD.

The secret to Hailstalling is a specially designed Walrein we know as Stallrein. Using it, you can take down at least 2 Pokemon by stalling up to 32 turns. If you want to know how, just ask me.

So there's a real lack of strategy here, yes you have instant hail! But that doesn't make this a stall team. Your only ice moves are on the Hailer, with Ice shard on Mamoswine.

Hail isn't like sandstorm where it grants defense boosts and whatever else. ONLY ice pokemon are immune to passive damage from hail, but moves like Blizzard get such a huge boost in power from it that Hail, despite its shortcomings, is a viable and powerful strategy.

You also have no way to deal with most Scizor ( most run enough HP EV's and can survive one CB EQ from Mamoswine and scare you out with bullet punch.) lucario or Tyranitar and they are the bane of stall teams. This is something that needs to be addressed.

Now I'm not a huge fan boy of smogon, but many of their articles are quite useful . Check out this one on Hail stall.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/art_hail_stall

Changes have been made, thanks for the advice guys.

One day I'll be experienced enough to post up a new team without any jarring gaps in strategy, but until then, I'm relying on you guys =)

Thinking Azelf doesn't fit it, but I don't know what to replace him with. Swampert?

This looks almost exactly the same as my team -__-

If you replace the lead with Swampert... it'll BE exactly the same as my team (save the Gliscor... I use a Froslass instead) o_O

I'd go with Surf instead of Blizzard for Walrein because Surf gets more PP and can hit T-tar for super effective if he decides to switch in (it won't kill but at least you've hit him).

• 1 month later...