Beta: the pokécheck legality checker for generation 5

xfr

Guys, I can really assure you that HAS been caught on a legitimate italian copy of sapphire without any AR hack nor anything. If I can do something to further research on this (more pkm or something), then tell me what to do.

EDIT: If it can help, the cartridge's battery has run dry, and I had used the jirachi from Pokémon Channel in the past to fix the berry bug (not sure if that changes the RNG workings but I thought it would be something to mention).

EDIT2: Actually, might want to check if it perhaps was an egg, rather than been caught in the wild, because that probably was how I did it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh if it was an egg... yeah that would make sense. R/S egg behaviour is not documented very well. In theory there is no way for there to be less than 3 IVs to be inherited, but it can happen. Problem is, that never seems to happen when a debugger is being used. Also, Box R/S is notably slower than a real GBA, thus the chance for PRNG states to be skipped is even greater as seen by my Method 4 Regis.

Edited by Hozu

IIRC what I did (we're talking of at least a couple of weeks ago) was catch some shroomish first (but without much luck) and then breed a couple of brelooms until I found a jolly shroomish so I could later use it with an adamant dwf in gen 5 and reuse them as parents regardless of the nature I'd need in specific instances.

Either way, if it could be of any help, I could hunt down the parents (I should still have them in the sapphire cartridge) and get them on Pokécheck. Otherwise I guess I'll just leave it be. I only reported it because it seemed odd to me it resulted hacked since it really wasn't.

When you posted you said that you captured it; but now you say that this 'mon was bred. If you were breeding, then that's probably what happened. Egg PIDs are not too easy to detect (legal.exe couldn't). If it's a R/S one there is a particular breeding method but you probably had a split in an odd place... I dunno.

Yeah, I'm sorry, as I said I originally was catching male shrooomish, but since I wanted a jolly nature and it was taking too long (I forgot that synchronize doesn't work until emerald), I eventually started breeding and got it like that, but forgot about it when I was posting (as I said, this was a good couple of weeks ago at least).

Can ALL eggs be disabled from being downloaded via GTS? Every complaint about receiving a bad egg from Pokecheck comes from downloading an egg. Not to mention people complaining about the egg that was shiny not hatching shiny because they don't know game mechanics.

Edited by Hozu

I've figured out that Pal Parking a Japanese Gen III Pokémon to an English Gen IV game produces an error saying that the OT Trash Bytes are invalid even though the Pokémon was obtained and transferred legitimately.

Example here, if it helps.

Quit lying. Seriously. You're not fooling anyone. Anyone with even rudimentary knowledge about how trash bytes work KNOWS for a fact that they are 100% wrong.

Hint: Pokecheck supports RETAIL CARTS only. Any different behaviour from anything else is not supported because it's not legal.

Hint 2: I Pal Parked 3rd gen JP mons and none of them have red flags. So it's not a general problem.

Quit lying. Seriously. You're not fooling anyone. Anyone with even rudimentary knowledge about how trash bytes work KNOWS for a fact that they are 100% wrong.

Hint: Pokecheck supports RETAIL CARTS only. Any different behaviour from anything else is not supported because it's not legal.

Hint 2: I Pal Parked 3rd gen JP mons and none of them have red flags. So it's not a general problem.

Why do you have to act like this? When I say that it was obtained legitimately, it means that no cheats or hacks or any sort were used to obtain it.

This was obtained from a rom of Sapphire on a flashcart, traded to an English Ruby retail cart, transferred to a retail cart of Diamond.

From there, the .pkm file was backed up and transferred to Gen V using Pokécheck's transfer option (though I really doubt Pokécheck messed it up, since the non-transferred Gen IV format .pkm file has the same problem.)

If the fact it was obtained on a rom on a flashcart is the reason why it messed up like this, then you can just tell me that's the problem and move on. (Does Gen III even have trash bytes btw?)

To answer the underlying question: Pokecheck only supports Retail cartridge Pal Parking, which entails retail GBA cart to retail DS cart.

(3g pkm's & trash bytes) Not sure. Export a 3gpkm with a save editor and check the character map.

For future reference:

Another Mudkip from that same rom of Sapphire on the same flashcard, this time with a longer OT which seems to prevent the problem.

A Rattata caught in my retail Japanese LeafGreen which shows the same problem.

In both cases, these were traded to Ruby and then Pal-Parked to Diamond (then transfered to Gen V format via Pokecheck's Gen IV to Gen V transfer option; I can provide the Gen IV .pkm files if needed.)

-Got the starter in JP Sapphire ROM (with a 1 char OT name no less)

-Traded to NA Emerald ROM to clone

-Traded to NA Sapphire ROM

-Wrote save to NA Sapphire cart

-Pal Parked from retail NA Sapphire to retail NA Pearl

-Uploaded from retail NA Pearl to Pokécheck via GTS

Result:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=3546590

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=3546592

Keeping the mons private to preserve the philosophy of the shoutbox's rule 3/OP of this thread. However, any Pokecheck admins can clearly see that my original post predicting this situation is 100% correct (D/P Pal Park behaviour is identical). All of Pingouin's Mudkips do not match retail cart behaviour, thus are not legal. Legality analysis is working properly.

Hint: Stop using hacking programs for ANY purpose. I know exactly what happened, and what caused this. It was Pingouin opening Pokegen. He basically said it himself.

Edited by Hozu

First: Hello everybody, I'm new in the forums! :-)

https://www.pokecheck.org/?pk=3551971

This Unfezant is a normal story pokemon of me. That means I caught, named and trained it in a normal way. Everything is correct and valid, just the trashbytes of the nickname seem to be messy. And I simply don't understand why. In Pokegen it looks like this: "Al Gore\FFFFrr". I'm a legality checker too, but I've never seen something like that before. If I wouldn't know better I'd say it's not legit as well. But it is, I 've already renamed it and so on to maybe correct the wrong trashbytes, but the result is the same. I guess if you catch a pokemon in B2/W2 and name it like this, you'd get the same strange values. (By the way, please ignore the stupid nickname, I guess I was drunk.) So what's the problem? Why is the nickname not generated like this: "Al Gore\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF"?

This thread isn't for how or why X situation is legal. It is merely to report errors. If something happens purely by in-game means on an unmodified game, then the results are legal. Don't mess with things in Pokegen because you'll probably end up with something illegal. Example, "Al Gore\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF" is illegal at this point.

Remember, anything obtained in-game on an unmodified game is legitimate and legal. If the legality analysis says it's not, that's what this thread is for.

Yes, that's why I wrote this post. Pokecheck says that "Al Gore\FFFFrr" is not legit. And I just asked why the game generates the bytes that way and not like "Al Gore\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF" (Which would be correct for gen5-pokemon names with 7 characters). And I didn't edit anything in Pokegen, I just loaded the file in it to view the issue by myself. Sorry if I'm not allowed to ask such questions, I just thought there would be a simple solution for this.

When the game renames something, any overwritten character gets replaced. Any character that isn't changed doesn't get effected.

ABCDEFG\ffff\0000\ffff

name abc->write abc\ffff to nick field

abc\ffff\EFG\ffff\0000\ffff

The new name string overwrites the old, but only for how many bytes the new name is. If the new string is shorter than the previous, there's stuff left over. Most names are capped at the final character with \ffff depending on the method of generation.

This thread is not for discussing how Pokecheck exposes hacks, only to expose flaws in how it does it.

-Got the starter in JP Sapphire ROM (with a 1 char OT name no less)

-Traded to NA Emerald ROM to clone

-Traded to NA Sapphire ROM

-Wrote save to NA Sapphire cart

-Pal Parked from retail NA Sapphire to retail NA Pearl

-Uploaded from retail NA Pearl to Pokécheck via GTS

Result:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=3546590

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=3546592

Keeping the mons private to preserve the philosophy of the shoutbox's rule 3/OP of this thread. However, any Pokecheck admins can clearly see that my original post predicting this situation is 100% correct (D/P Pal Park behaviour is identical). All of Pingouin's Mudkips do not match retail cart behaviour, thus are not legal. Legality analysis is working properly.

Hint: Stop using hacking programs for ANY purpose. I know exactly what happened, and what caused this. It was Pingouin opening Pokegen. He basically said it himself.

So PokéGen is what messed up the Pokémon?

That's good to know; in that case, I will upload them to Pokécheck via Wi-Fi (Edit: This worked fine indeed.)

Upon further inspection, it appears that PokéGen was, for some reason, removing the last trash byte when saving as a .pkm; but that is a problem for another day (I realize that this whole discussion could have been avoided had I noticed that earlier, and for that I apologize.)

But thanks for taking the time to point out the error.

When the game renames something, any overwritten character gets replaced. Any character that isn't changed doesn't get effected.

ABCDEFG\ffff\0000\ffff

name abc->write abc\ffff to nick field

abc\ffff\EFG\ffff\0000\ffff

Ah, okay, I understand. I caught this Unfezant as a Pidove. The german name of Pidove is "Dusselgurr" (It's from a german edition). So the two "r"s are leftovers from the old, original name, right? That would also explain why there's no final \FFFF, the name "Dusselgurr" already has 10 characters, in this case no trashbytes become added, they just do if the name has 9 characters or less (For example "Tranquill\FFFF\FFFF"), correct? Well, in this case that issue should be added to the legality analysis, I guess. :/

Ah, okay, I understand. I caught this Unfezant as a Pidove. The german name of Pidove is "Dusselgurr" (It's from a german edition). So the two "r"s are leftovers from the old, original name, right? That would also explain why there's no final \FFFF, the name "Dusselgurr" already has 10 characters, in this case no trashbytes become added, they just do if the name has 9 characters or less (For example "Tranquill\FFFF\FFFF"), correct? Well, in this case that issue should be added to the legality analysis, I guess. :/

no, the original name should be Dusselgurr\xFFFF not Dusselgurr\x0000

You can't magically lose the terminator.

cough cough pokegen

Is the message you're getting red? Or orange? This is implemented for English/JP names at least...

It's red, seems to be a bigger problem.

no, the original name should be Dusselgurr\xFFFF not Dusselgurr\x0000

You can't magically lose the terminator.

cough cough pokegen

Okay, so the idea of making a backup of my save and then extract the .pkm-file through PokéGen just failed. :D Didn't know PokéGen messes up with the trashbytes to be honest. So the real name of Unfezant is "Al Gore\xFFFF\x7200\x7200\xFFFF", right?

I'm so sorry for wasting your time, just one more thing: Is there anything else PokéGen is doing wrong? Are there some alternate programs I could use for opening a .sav file if PokéGen is too risky? Sorry again, my main knowledge about this stuff is from 2010 I guess, the good old times with legit.exe, pokésav and so on.

Parents for valid egg move combination is a bit wacky on this Natu http://www.pokecheck.org/?pk=3294305 Specifically, Sucker Punch.

Roost/Zen Headbutt are indeed egg moves, but also tutors in BW2 so can be dismissed on parents. Starly, Swablu, HootHoot, Pidgey, Spearow, Ducklett evolution lines and Farfetch'd do not learn Sucker Punch at all (which on this Gen 5 Natu is egg move only, not tutor). Only... Murkrow line does, as best as I can tell. I bred that from a male Natu already on Pokécheck, as I often do, but the moveset should be legal regardless of the wacky list of parents (Featherdance+Sucker Punch from Honchkrow, Zen Headbutt/Roost by tutor or Honchkrow on Roost).