Poké Transfer

KazoWAR

Gen IV pokemon retain their data (not visibly in game) for where the eggs were obtained after they are shifted. These 4th gen location values needed to be manually inserted into the Gen V location list in PokeGen, so they were not there. This has been fixed for the next long-worked-on b25 which will be coming soon.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i'm trying to send a few pokemon to my game and the size of the files are to big. So my friend suggested that they are 4G files so i try to convert them but when i press enter it quits out of Pokemon Transfer. Am i doing something wrong? I read earlier about size 236 bites being party pokemon if so does that mean i don't have to convert them?

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to determine that there is an oddity in the pokétransfer character table. The - character (full width hyphen/minus) is used in previous gens to emulate ー, hence the translation table should have 00F1=ー and all pokémon containing - were incorrectly translated.

On an unrelated note I am still looking for someone to pokétransfer the two above pokémon and upload the result.

Many thanks for this program. It emulates the Poke Transfer perfectly for me.

Ironically, that's also the only problem I have with it. The changes the in-game Poke Transfer demands have always seemed largely redundant to me, and it's a bit of a bother to transfer 400+ pokemon/.pkm files from last generation, then have to go back and reattach items to all of them. The same goes for useful battle HMs like Surf and Waterfall, especially since you can't access the in-game Poke Transfer until you have legal access to all the HMs in the first place, so it's not like that restriction exists to keep new players trekking down the map in the right direction. Having to go back and reteach those moves can be a lot of work when one has amassed the kind of zoo I have.

Actually, I think the only truly illegal carryover HM in gen V is Rock Climb. Cut, Strength, Fly, Surf, and Waterfall all return for Black/White, while Whirlpool can be poke-transferred from D/P/Pt and Defog can be poke-transferred from HeartGold/SoulSilver. Rock Smash returns too, though I didn't notice at first since it was demoted to a TM.

So yeah, Nintendo's restrictions on the Poke Transfer make no sense. Are there any plans to soup up this Poke Transfer so it's not merely the same as, but better than the real one?

Edited by CK20XX
Oops, Rock Smash isn't illegal. My bad.

Would this be a reason not to use the program?

I would say no. You have to open up the transferred .pkm files in Pokesav/PokeGen anyway to reattach their items and reteach HM moves lost in the transfer. Having to do a slight correction to a nickname as well is hardly an additional inconvenience, especially if the oddity is just a slightly longer or shorter hyphen.

Now 4th gen pokemon without nicknames getting their species name stuck in all caps? That's a much greater eyesore.

• 1 year later...

I'm running Windows 7 and I just recent downloaded Poketransfer v1.0b from the link on the first page of this thread, yet whenever I drag any legitimate 4th gen .pkm file that I extracted with Pokegen v3.1.10 to the CMD prompt, all I see is this:

ApMea.png

...and when I refresh the folder that the .pkm file (in this case it was "dusclops.pkm") originated from , there's no 'dusclops_transfered.pkm' to be found. Not anywhere.

Here's the actual dusclops.pkm file I used in the example (an extra period was added to the filename for some reason when I uploaded the attachment, so just get rid of one of the periods):

dusclops..pkm

dusclops..pkm

• 2 years later...