Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?  

360 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?

• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Bored again, so I'll post my experiences with the starters. Er... yeah, so far I've done three playthroughs on this game, and I have experienced all three. Chikorita is my personal favourite, however, only because of her elegance and whatnot. In my first two playthroughs I had Chikorita and Totodile, and I must say I only struggled because I turned out underleveled. Right now on my new Heart Gold (the other two playthroughs were on Soul Silver) I picked Cyndaquil just because I thought it was canon for Silver to have a Feraligatr and I didn't try him out.

[hgsssprite]157[/hgsssprite]

Typhlosion is actually very good; but all it is learning right now is Fire moves. Currently it has Quick Attack / Swift / Lava Plume / Flamethrower; I cannot find an auxiliary move to even try out. Even on Heart Scale, they troll with GYRO BALL. What the heck Gamefreak? It makes sense but it's completely useless on something like Ty. Much like Charizard, Typhlosion is very powerful and doing insane damage with STAB Fire moves... but it's just not learning anything other than Fire moves. I might have to resort to TM52 and TM22 (Focus Blast and Solarbeam), though the latter also requires a TM11 (Sunny Day). I simply don't know what to do with Typhlosion. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful. I'm only thinking of Sunny Day / Solarbeam / Flamethrower/ Focus Blast so far.

[hgsssprite]160[/hgsssprite]

I had no problems with Feraligatr (other than the fact I was underleveled); he simply had too many toys to play around with such as Ice Fang, Crunch, Waterfall, Surf or even Superpower. However, I was losing out on some cool hereditary moves such as Aqua Jet or Dragon Dance since it was my starter Feraligatr I was using. If I wasn't so hesitant on using TM26 (Earthquake) he would have been a total beast. I ended up sweeping the 2nd rendition Lance with a level 59 Feraligatr with the help of some X items. The game's level curve is insanely low; not giving enough EXP that it requires grinding. I learned from that and so I grinded a bit with my Pokemon in the Typhlosion file. A good set I suppose would consist of Waterfall / Return / Ice Fang / Crunch, the latter being able to be replaced with stuff like Earthquake or Surf if you think Donphans are a problem or something. I say he's the best of the three, though Typhlosion is still doing more of an impact thanks to its speed and power.

[hgsssprite]154[/hgsssprite]

Meganium was just awful in-game unfortunately, she was stuck with Razor Leaf and Magical Leaf for the longest time and was built to be a supportive Pokemon I think, and even then she just doesn't cut it even competitively. In-game Rock Throw like Charmander's Metal Claw treatment would have been pretty cool methinks. Body Slam at the 40s? Seriously? However, she's my favourite of the Johto starters, so I dealt with it and tried getting support Pokemon to deal with other foes. I hated relying on support too much; Meganium was the only one in my team who couldn't stand up to Red's team, even against Blastoise, who she is supposed to have an advantage against. In the end I had Aromatherapy / Synthesis / Petal Dance / Body Slam... or something like that. For advanced people only is right; but there's not even a benefit for using her. Stupid Leech Seed... being hereditary >:/

• 1 year later...