Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?  

360 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?

• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting Silver and Gold both.

I'll be playing Silver more, so for that my starter will the Cyndaquil.

Typhlosion has to be my favorite final evolution starter of all the regions. Doesn't mean it's the best of the three, but it's definetly my favorite.

For Gold, I'll be using Chikorita; I've been playing pokemon since I could first hold a Gameboy, and I could use the challenge of Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium's relatively low base attack and defense stats. But Meganium is a total powerhouse if EV trained correctly and given the right moves. (Although, this could be said about just about any pokemon)

I'm getting Silver and Gold both.

I'll be playing Silver more, so for that my starter will the Cyndaquil.

Typhlosion has to be my favorite final evolution starter of all the regions. Doesn't mean it's the best of the three, but it's definetly my favorite.

For Gold, I'll be using Chikorita; I've been playing pokemon since I could first hold a Gameboy, and I could use the challenge of Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium's relatively low base attack and defense stats. But Meganium is a total powerhouse if EV trained correctly and given the right moves. (Although, this could be said about just about any pokemon)

Meganium has high defense stats... it's just the attacks that are low :)

I think I've finally realized that I've been underestimating that geranium for a long time! She's seriously an awesome tank... she helped me wall Jolteon and even Vaporeon's Ice Beam... Meganium FTW! :D

[sprite]154[/sprite]

I really don't understand why people buy both games. You're just wasting money.

...Meganium's awesome in Mystery dungeon... Aromatherapy+Synthesis...

Er... wrong topic? :P

And Mystery Dungeon has some pretty weak Pokemon turn awesome like Mantine :)

I really don't understand why people buy both games. You're just wasting money.

...Meganium's awesome in Mystery dungeon... Aromatherapy+Synthesis...

It isn't wasting money if it is what you want.... >.> I hate when people try to tell me how to spend my money.

Me, I use one game for all my training main playing etc. I use my second copy for getting the pokemon I can't in the other version mostly and replay value. I never restart my first game.

[sprite]152[/sprite]

Chikorita - pick this plant if you're going the hard way. While she does get a plethora of supporting moves such as Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard, her only offensive moves will be Tackle and Razor Leaf until she finally learns Body Slam at a really late level, which is BAD. The first two gyms are two types Chikorita has trouble again (lol @ a Gym Leader with a level 7 Pidgey and level 9 Pidgeotto), but if you really want a challenge and love plant Pokemon, pick Chikorita. Competitively, she works wonderfully as a Cleric and supporter, but other grass types do much better since they can actually cast status other than Toxic. She's really Bulbasaur without the Poison typing and the movepool and the Special Attack traded for Defense.

[sprite]155[/sprite]

Cyndaquil- everyone's best friend from the start. We all know he's the best, right? Awesome special attack, really quick, learning Thunderpunch as Typhlosion to take advantage of that wicked special attack (offer not valid in DPP). He'll do you good because he's quick and strong with that powerful Ember, and that he evolves into Quilava at level 14 (but evolves into Typhlosion at level 36)... but why use him when there are other better Fire types out there? He also has the same stats as Charmander... which doesn't show any form of uniqueness, but his biggest merit is that he is the fastest Eruption user in UU. Cyndaquil was the best starter back in GSC, but now he's dethroned by Totodile. But don't let that fool you. He'll do well in-game, has an advantage against Bugsy the second gym leader, and will help you win battles, but just handle with care. Fire types are rare and hard to come across, so if you don't want to wait to get a Fire type after Goldenrod... he's definitely your choice. Cyndaquil's considered the easy mode in this game.

[sprite]158[/sprite]

Totodile- ewww. A water type? Why would I want one? He is the worst of the GSC starters because of those misaligned stats, right? Hold on a minute! That was the case back in GSC and RSE (developers got lazy with the movepool in Gen III), but now that's not true! Totodile's back with a brand new rep! Thanks to the Physical/Special Split in DPP, he benefited a lot from it thanks to that large physical movepool of his. We got Waterfall, Crunch, Rock Slide, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Flail... it's gone a LOT better! He can raise his stats with Agility and Swords Dance if needed... and if you breed him, he can learn the awesome Dragon Dance! How's that for the energetic crocodile? Competitively, he's great, but the problem is, he gets overshadowed by Gyarados. Bummer. But still, being the worst GSC starter into the best does a lot for this guy, especially if you consider how he WAS back then and what he IS now. Totodile evolves into Croconaw at level 18 and evolves into Feraligatr at level 30.

Quoting again for people who can't choose their starters.

Anyways, more people need to pick Chikorita! Typhlosion is for the rage nowadays!

Whats wrong with Chikorita guys? Come on, its a cool Pokémon.

It's the fact she cannot learn many attacking moves, which is useful in-game. Her support moves are better off in the UU tier in the competitive metagame, but if you realize that in-game she has Tackle, Razor Leaf, and Magical Leaf... and then you see she doesn't learn her next move Body Slam until she's a level 44 Meganium! But who knows... they might change the move set when this game's released.

Unfortunately, she is the worst of the three.

Whats wrong with Chikorita guys? Come on, its a cool Pokémon.

Some people pick the cool-looking Pokemon. I don't care much for it, but I definitely like Cynda/Toto's looks better.

Designs are as important as ever, eh?

well, actually, chikorita is awesome too.

i would pick it because i didn't like any other 2nd generation grass-type pokemon in gold or silver.

sunkern, sunflora = retard

bellossom = not for a guy

hoppip, skiploom, and jumpluff = sux

I know. The rarity of Fire type drives you to pick it.

I always catch a Bellsprout and train it (even if it is hard to train)... and Bellossom's an awesome Pokemon. Sunflora's slow, but she's pretty strong, don't underestimate it.

Jumpluff sucks? Are you sure? Take a look at my Jumpluff:

Erm... yes, it does. Substitute helps with a lot of stuff and is a widely used technique in competitive battles. It also prevents you from status and takes damage for you when the next hit could have been fatal. Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it doesn't do its job. It's all dependent on how you use it.

The technique you've seen is called Subpunching... it means Substitute + Focus Punch.

Let's get back in topic... people's chosen starters?