OT Name not saving

Highlighter

As the title says, I'm running into the problem of the OT name not saving while editing/making .PKM files. I can enter a name (e.g. Bob) in the space for the OT Name, hit save, but upon exiting PokeGen and reloading the .PKM file, the OT Name is not saved.

And, to be clear, I'm looking to save a .PKM file, not edit/save/create a full .sav file.

I've searched the forums and Google, and have not seen anything regarding this issue. Then again, 3.0b20 seems to be a fairly recent build.

I have tried the following:

1) PokeSav, both B/W and HG/SS versions retain the OT Name. (But they have other problems.)

2) Importing a Gen 4 .PKM results in the same problem, in that the original OT Name does not appear, nor does it save properly.

3) When downloading a .PKM file from my game cartridge (retail, not Action Replay or whatever) via Pokecheck, PokeGen will not display the OT Name. PokeSav, does, however.

4) I saw some posts in the forum stating that you have to "Right Click -> Set" for the value to be saved properly, but I've tried this in various combinations, including before and after entering the OT Name. This has not worked.

5) I've tried an older version of PokeGen, specifically v2.312, and the problem is NOT present. Granted, I was only able to test this with Gen 4 .PKM files.

6) I've tried using the PokeShifter program, which shifts Gen 4 .PKM files to Gen 5. The OT Name still does not save.

7) Using these Pokemon with a blank OT Name, I've tested them in my retail game. As expected, they're treated as traded Pokemon, so they receive boosted exp and their nicknames/names cannot be changed.

So, has anyone else met this problem? Any comments?

I'll check on it when I get home. I've heard of similar problems in the past, and could never determine any problem in the code. It was assumed to be something messed up on the users' installation of Windows. If I determine that there's still nothing wrong with the code, I may have you test out some modifications of beta 20 to narrow down the problem, if you're willing.

I haven't had any problems with the .pkmn files. Perhaps it's a problem pertaining to .sav files?

I've been using .PKMN files, not .sav because I'm working with a retail game, not an emulator or ROM or Action Replay. So, I don't think that's the problem.

I'd have wanted to test this issue with an earlier version of 3.0 beta, but I haven't found a download link yet.

I'm having the exact same problem. I generated 4 Pokemon and 3/4 had a blank OT, and 2/4 had a blank Name field. I double-checked every Pokemon in the program and made sure the OT and name fields were fine, and then I made the code. This is only happening as of updating to v3.0b20

Codr and I worked through this problem, and came to the conclusion that the problem is only on my end. I confirmed that conclusion by trying 3.0b20 on my laptop, which ran it just fine without error. We couldn't figure out what was causing the problem, since my desktop is completely updated with all updates, and it runs fine on the other computer. So I don't know.

But now, with Kenpari reporting the error, it could be something? Kenpari, are you having the exact problem as I am?

Also, for the record, my desktop is Win7 x64 with all updates, while my laptop is Vista 32 with all updates. I don't believe that's the problem, though.

/shrug.

It shouldn't be. I too have Windows 7 x64 and x32 running on two different machines and I'm not experiencing any problem.

May I suggest something to do with Antivirus Software? Maybe it's registering PokeGen as something offensive and is stopping it from working correctly?

Also - have you tried re-downloading and trying the newly downloaded version?

I'm having the exact same problem. I generated 4 Pokemon and 3/4 had a blank OT, and 2/4 had a blank Name field. I double-checked every Pokemon in the program and made sure the OT and name fields were fine, and then I made the code. This is only happening as of updating to v3.0b20

Updating to beta 20 from what? 2.312?

Antivirus software isn't the issue at all, and almost definitely can't be. The problem is Unicode, quite clearly. In what way, I can't say yet.

Updating to beta 20 from what? 2.312?

Antivirus software isn't the issue at all, and almost definitely can't be. The problem is Unicode, quite clearly. In what way, I can't say yet.

I was using v3.0b17, updated to v3.0b20. Since then I have not been able to save or generate Pokemon correctly. The OT field and Pokemon name field are constantly given random blanks. I just now experimented using v3.0b17 (so, downgraded) and I'm no longer experiencing this problem. It seems 20 is acting up for me.

EDIT: Just tested something else. I saved my Pokemon using the older version, then closed it and opened it back up. The OT field was still filled in. I then upgraded to the newest version once again and opened the Pokemon file I just saved, and it had a blank OT field. I used the old version once more to open the exact same file again, and this time the OT field was filled in. It seems that, for some reason, the newest version isn't loading, saving, or generating the OT/Name fields correctly for me.

I was using v3.0b17, updated to v3.0b20. Since then I have not been able to save or generate Pokemon correctly. The OT field and Pokemon name field are constantly given random blanks. I just now experimented using v3.0b17 (so, downgraded) and I'm no longer experiencing this problem. It seems 20 is acting up for me.

There were no changes to the original trainer code and no relevant changes to the nickname code between the two versions, so this makes no sense.

I too have the same problem. Enter in the OT field, save .pkm file, close and restart Pokegen and the OT name field is blank. The trainer name is also blank when you view the pokemon ingame. Shame, since Pokegen is really really cool. I'd appreciate any solution to this.

EDIT: Does anybody have a download link to 3.0b17 or a most recent lower version?

Edited by CortesDiddy