Guide: How to generate Gen V Pokémon in PokéGen

Acanto

I haven't seen any mention of the Egg checkbox in the main tab. If I wanted the pokemon to be made as an egg, I would want to check this box correct? Then when I apply the code, the egg will show up and then need to be hatched? From there, would any data you input in the OT/MISC and Met tabs be overwritten when the egg hatches?

I remember in Pokesav, if you were to hack an egg, it would hatch into a level 1 version of whatever pokemon was inside with your OT info and whatever location you hatched it in. Also, how many steps would it take to hatch?

Tooltips answer 3 out of 4 of your questions. Trainer data is retained upon hatching.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so here's a question: I created Wifi-legal pokemon using pokegen, and they're working fine on wifi. But when I try to upload the battle video of my victories it says there's something wrong with the pokemon on the video. Any ideas? It doesn't make sense that they'd work in the battles (Random Wifi matches) and not be able to be uploaded.

As I've just mentioned in another thread, the new PokeGen made Fifth Gen PID's for my Pokemon that worked for both Wifi and video upload. Give that a try! (Just to clarify, I had made wifi-legal Pokemon and they failed the video upload, I edited the same Pokemon and only changed the PID to whatever the PokeGen made and then did another battle and was able to upload the vido)

On second thought. I also fixed the escape characters for all the Pokemon...

Try both, new PIDs from using 3.0b20 and manually fix the escape characters (Even for non-nicked named Pokemon)

Also As a side note, it seems that 4th Generation Pokemon used all /FFFF for escape characters, IE. /FFFF/FFFF/FFFF instead of /FFFF/0000/FFFF If you're using a Pokemon shifted from 4th Gen ( I noticed that from my two Pokemon that were shifted normally in game.)

im realyl not getting this part of the guide

You should have obtained a string of eight characters, matching the format described above. Now, copy only the fourth character in your string (the X in the format, which determines Ability), and paste it in the ‘Hexadecimal’ box.

We’re converting it in binary code, so you’ll need the string that has appeared in the ‘Binary’ box. Copy/Paste it in a text editor.

im realyl not getting this part of the guide

You should have obtained a string of eight characters, matching the format described above. Now, copy only the fourth character in your string (the X in the format, which determines Ability), and paste it in the ‘Hexadecimal’ box.

We’re converting it in binary code, so you’ll need the string that has appeared in the ‘Binary’ box. Copy/Paste it in a text editor.

Just leave the PID box Blank. the PokeGen will make it for you!

Edit

Okay, just kidding, that doesn't work.

So my problem is that the name of the OT doesn't save. I can enter a name (e.g. Bob), save the PKM file, but when I go to reload the file, it'll have been left blank. And, to be clear, I'm not saving a Pokemon save file, but just the .PKM file.

Can anyone help me with this?

PokeGen 3.0b20

Edit2

Did some quick testing. The OT name is not saving when I create a new Pokemon from scratch, nor is it saving when I edit an existing Pokemon. It also doesn't import the OT name when I import a Gen4 PKM file. Also, when I download a Pokemon from my game (retail cartridge, via Pokecheck), the OT name is blank. However, when I use PokeSav, the OT name imports properly.

I went to the Name Rater, and have confirmed that the Pokemon isn't recognized as from me, even though the SID and Trainer IDs match my game properly. I also get boosted exp.

Edit 3

I've tried the Right Click -> Set thing that I've read about, and unless I'm doing that wrong, it's not working.

Edit 4

I went ahead and downloaded PokeGen v2.312, and the OT name saves properly.

Edit 5

I'm going to create a separate thread for this issue later, if it's not been addressed by the time I get back.

Edit 6

I've created a separate topic to keep the discussion focused: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?14136-PokeGen-v3-0b20-Problem-OT-Name-not-saving&p=117563

Edited by Highlighter

I'm having trouble with the "Matching trainer information" checkbox. It remains greyed out until I check the "Egg" box under the Main tab but I don't want an egg. I need to make it look like it hatched because it's got a couple of egg moves and the guide says I need to tick this box. Is there a requirement that I'm missing for this box to become available for use?

I'm having trouble with the "Matching trainer information" checkbox. It remains greyed out until I check the "Egg" box under the Main tab but I don't want an egg. I need to make it look like it hatched because it's got a couple of egg moves and the guide says I need to tick this box. Is there a requirement that I'm missing for this box to become available for use?

If you read versions.txt or the tooltip, you'll see that the checkbox is ONLY APPLICABLE TO EGGS. ...or at least that was the intent. I may have screwed it up.

I did read that, and in fact wouldn't have even given that checkbox a second thought, but I was using this link: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?14026-Guide-How-to-generate-Gen-V-Pokmon-in-PokGen

It says the box needs to be ticked for it to look like the Pokemon was hatched from an egg. The problem is it only lets me tick it if the Pokemon is -configured- to be an Egg, as in an unhatched egg.

I don't think that's what it's meant to do but I could be doing something wrong so was just curious.

Hello all,

I just want to first say thank-you for a very well written Pokemon Editor, and give you some of my feedback (version 3.0b20):

Usability

PokeGen has been very easy to use, and it has been easier for me to edit / update the Pokemon that I want than to Pokesav. The only thing that I do have a "gripe" about is that while I do not have a mechanic to download my save info from the game and then take it into PokeGen, I'm left with having to create each Pokemon .pkmn file and if something needs to be edited throughout all of them there's a lot of loading... editing... saving... loading... saving... get codes going on, because I cannot generate a temporary .sav file to save the information into (like what Pokesav can do). I think that would be a nice addition.

Action Replay Codes

Like I have said before, I don't have a method of taking my save info and editing it directly, so I'm left with using the Action Replay codes. ALL of the codes generated have worked, and that is from creating a 100% legal bred pokemon with IV all at 31, EV maxed out to 510, correct moves, correct ability, correct gender, correct Trainer Information, and correct PID's automatically being generated by PokeGen. Even giving them a held item works as well!

I have taken my team of 6 online via Random Battle and have worked and played (as of this posting) 8 match's. The last two that I've done I have also been able to upload the battle video as well. As far as I can see, PokeGen is perfect.

Hey, this might sound stupid, but I'm just really inexperienced with things such as PokeGen or PokeSav. Anyway, if I load pkm files from the previous generations, is there anything specific that I have to do to make them legit (PID/IV etc.)? Thanks.

edit: Also, will using 5 Generation Evolution Editor affect the legality of pokemon? Thanks!

Edited by brucelee

Hey, this might sound stupid, but I'm just really inexperienced with things such as PokeGen or PokeSav. Anyway, if I load pkm files from the previous generations, is there anything specific that I have to do to make them legit (PID/IV etc.)? Thanks.

Well I tried loading a .pkm from my pokemon Platinum and it screwed all the names and natures of all my pokemon >.<

why do you guys think the pokemon are the same between gens 4 and 5? were they the same between 3 and 4? (hint: no)

you need to either hack the changes yourselves or legitimately transfer pokes via the pokeshifter or wait for kazo to finish up his app to do this.

e: not irritated, just saying. :)

Edited by Bond697

why do you guys think the pokemon are the same between gens 4 and 5? were they the same between 3 and 4? (hint: no)

you need to either hack the changes yourselves or legitimately transfer pokes via the pokeshifter or wait for kazo to finish up his app to do this.

Sorry if my question irritated you, I've already explained that I'm quite new at this.

Edit: N/M!

It says the box needs to be ticked for it to look like the Pokemon was hatched from an egg.

Then either the post is wrong or I've messed it up.

Edit: I didn't mess it up as far as I can tell.

The problem is it only lets me tick it if the Pokemon is -configured- to be an Egg, as in an unhatched egg.

This is the intent. When I say egg, I mean egg. If I meant hatched egg, I'd say "hatched".

Right now it seems that the legal check for Dream World abilities is hit-or-miss. By modifying 0x42 to 1, I've gotten the Dream World abilities to pass on Politoed, Ninetales, Charizard, and Blaziken. This works despite the non-Japanese origin of these Pokemon. However, doing the same to Vaporeon, Staraptor (note that Staravia HAS been released in Japan), and any Gen5 Pokemon results in a failure. All of these Pokemon were first obtained through the GTS, so by reverting the Dream World bit change, the Pokemon is legal again. The PIDs were not changed, though I double-checked to make sure all those Pokemon had ability 1.

Maybe put up a disclaimer stating to attempt dream world abilities at your own peril until it's figured out?

Solar Power Charizard is pretty fun by the way, though fragile as hell. Use Tailwind to set it up and you're good to go!