Pokemon White with Version 3.0b17 - Basics

Lt. Surge

I am about to ask some rudimentary questions in this thread, being entirely fresh to Action Replay DS (EZ). I have had success with codes for Soul Silver, but I have never attempted anything like Pokesav or PokeGen.

I'm feeling confident about MOST of the commands within the GUI Interface for PokeGen, seems simple enough to learn quickly(best cheers to developer for auto-help bubbles). However, I am somehow unable to save the codes for one Pokemon that I want to add to one of my PC Boxes. I think I may be doing this entirely wrong. It says I need to load a save first before saving... Am I supposed to load the save from my DS cartridge (White)? How do I go about doing that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlCCCD-4Xc

Also, I was going to ask a question regarding SIDs/IDs but thanks to a very helpful AR code I now know both of them :creep:

Is there more risk to be run illegal if you produce a Shiny Pokemon than a normal one?

One more:

With regards to IV/EV, I'm having the most difficulty understanding. Yes, I've never intentionally EV-Trained a Pokemon before but I have the vaguest idea of what to do. Only, I am unfamiliar with the legal limitations I'm supposed to set for a Pokemon that hatches from an egg. For example, I want to get the highest legal base stats from a Ralts that I get in an egg. When it hatches, it gets those stats.

Seeing as I can't create and test a save file, yet, I can't learn through trial and error.

Edited by Lt. Surge

You don't need to open a save file to create/edit existing Pokemon. You can save them as .pkm files without a save as well.

No limit on egg IVs

Shininess doesn't raise any flags, the way you are doing it is still cheating.

Are IVs randomized for every Pokemon normally caught in the game? So HP could be 4 for one, 13 for another of the same species?

About the save...

Let me know if you can't see this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlCCCD-4Xc

Yes, they're randomized. We'd be happy if they were always set to 31 in-game, but it doesn't work that way. One of the strong points of Pokémon's battle system is the variability between two Pokémon's stats.

I think it's also good it's randomized... just looking for the highest legal stats across the board for some Pokemon, like Speed 10, Defense 10, Attack 10... 10 being the example of the highest.

Still looking for help with the save...

To use pokegen you need to buy a flashcart,unless you're playing on DeSmume,but if you play on DesMume you won't be able to transfer the .sav file on to your DS,since you don't have a Flashcart,so it's pointless ;o

To use pokegen you need to buy a flashcart,unless you're playing on DeSmume,but if you play on DesMume you won't be able to transfer the .sav file on to your DS,since you don't have a Flashcart,so it's pointless ;o

A Flashcart as in Action Replay?

Flashcarts such as Acekard 2i, R4i, ect. You can't use Save Files on a Retail Cart unless you have a NDSplus Adadpter or newer. ARDSi doesn't support Back up Save Files for Pokemon ever since Pokemon HG/SS came out.

So... in order to edit save files and do work on my Pokemon White DS Cartridge, I need to have it physically plugged into my PC with a device that allows access to it and be able to edit the saves from there.

Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Card-Reader-T-Flash-Adapter-NDS-Nintendo-DS-Lite-/220684617849?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3361d40879

So... in order to edit save files and do work on my Pokemon White DS Cartridge, I need to have it physically plugged into my PC with a device that allows access to it and be able to edit the saves from there.

Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Card-Reader-T-Flash-Adapter-NDS-Nintendo-DS-Lite-/220684617849?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3361d40879

In order to back up and restore saves from a retail cart, you need a DS flash cart such as the supercard DSTWO, acekard, etc. You ALSO need a microSD card (has to be micro) that is inserted into the flash cart, and a microSD card reader to plug it into your computer's USB. You also need to put this homebrew onto your flash cart: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?12405-A-tool-to-backup-HG-SS-saves As this is the only homebrew that I've successfully backed up and restored a save to and from a pokemon black cart.

OR, you could just get this thing: http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0907.htm I don't have it yet myself but it apparently works with black/white.

In order to back up and restore saves from a retail cart, you need a DS flash cart such as the supercard DSTWO, acekard, etc. You ALSO need a microSD card (has to be micro) that is inserted into the flash cart, and a microSD card reader to plug it into your computer's USB. You also need to put this homebrew onto your flash cart: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?12405-A-tool-to-backup-HG-SS-saves As this is the only homebrew that I've successfully backed up and restored a save to and from a pokemon black cart.

OR, you could just get this thing: http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0907.htm I don't have it yet myself but it apparently works with black/white.

Hm...

It seems these devices aren't very popular. Finding a good deal on them is a chore in and of itself. But going through the hassle of this investigation into DS Hax took time on its own, so I'm prepared to hunt down a working Cart.

Thank you all for your advice and knowledge.

Hm...

It seems these devices aren't very popular. Finding a good deal on them is a chore in and of itself. But going through the hassle of this investigation into DS Hax took time on its own, so I'm prepared to hunt down a working Cart.

Thank you all for your advice and knowledge.

Realhotstuff.com is a good place if you want to go with the flash cart route. Free shipping and fast delivery usually. Everything I've ever ordered from them has come in 3 days.

I can tell you though that the homebrew I linked to does work with black/white, I've backed up and restored saves from the retail cart with no problem.

I forgot to mention that I believe the homebrew only works on a DSlite you'll also need a slot 2 device to back up a save from a retail cart. They sell EZ flash 3 in 1s at realhotstuff.com as well. You may be able to use the wifi-method of backing up your saves with that homebrew, but I don't have a DSi so I can't tell you if it actually works or not.

consolesource is where I ordered my DNS adapter plus but I haven't received it yet so I can't tell you how reliable they are or if it works with black/white for sure. They're located in Canada which is why I ordered from them since ordering from the company itself would have it shipped from china.

But I can say that someone on the cycloDS forums said that their NDS adapter plus worked flawlessly with black/white so there you go. If all you wanna do is back up saves from a retail cart then this might be your best choice.

Realhotstuff.com is a good place if you want to go with the flash cart route. Free shipping and fast delivery usually. Everything I've ever ordered from them has come in 3 days.

I can tell you though that the homebrew I linked to does work with black/white, I've backed up and restored saves from the retail cart with no problem.

I forgot to mention that I believe the homebrew only works on a DSlite you'll also need a slot 2 device to back up a save from a retail cart. They sell EZ flash 3 in 1s at realhotstuff.com as well. You may be able to use the wifi-method of backing up your saves with that homebrew, but I don't have a DSi so I can't tell you if it actually works or not.

consolesource is where I ordered my DNS adapter plus but I haven't received it yet so I can't tell you how reliable they are or if it works with black/white for sure. They're located in Canada which is why I ordered from them since ordering from the company itself would have it shipped from china.

But I can say that someone on the cycloDS forums said that their NDS adapter plus worked flawlessly with black/white so there you go. If all you wanna do is back up saves from a retail cart then this might be your best choice.

Did the Adapter work with save mods?

Checking ConsoleSource.com...

I have Original DS.

Original DS should work fine too. As long as it has a GBA slot. But if you're using the NDS adapter plus then any DS should work since it's only a usb thing that connects a game cart to a PC.

Oh good :)

I was referring to the NDS Adapter Plus. You can find one here.

WOW $34!

And HOW did you find that? I scoured eBay... I guess not well enough.

Oh well. Perhaps the money I make from this will help me pay for it :)