Archived Sticky: Is the GameStop Celebi 02271 still Legit?

Sabresite

Is the GameStop Celebi Legit?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is the GameStop Celebi Legit?

• Yes. Even though Nintendo/GameStop messed up the date, its still legit because it COULD have been distributed!
    • No. Because Nintendo did not go through with distributing it on the wrong date, its now "undistributed" content!

Yeah, it definitely depends on how it was obtained.

If it turns out that my store's been distributing the GAMESTP one to all of our customers instead of the WIN2011, I'd feel really bad, because we had a huge amount of people actually come in and get it from the Mystery Gift during the times they were supposed to. They all came in on good faith that they were doing everything right.

On the flip side, after one of my coworkers found out that we had a Celebi on there, he told one of his friends. And his friend told some of HIS friends... it kind of spiralled and he ended up having them come in right before close while we were still distributing Entei, and he reset the distribution DS dates so they could all get a Celebi. When I found out about it the next day I double-checked to make sure the dates were current, but I know for a fact that there are a handful of them out there - and probably more than that, if this has been happening at other stores - that were not obtained the way they were meant to be.

The bad thing about case-by-case basises with this is that it's really difficult to verify how something was obtained. Especially if it has an OT that's commonly been obtained non-legitly. Ifthat'sevenaword.

Because the date on the receiving DS can be set to ANYTHING at the point of reception and pickup, so the date on the end product can legally be anything.

Nintendo's not gonna DQ someone at a tournament because it says their celebi was met in Dec 2008.

Its not trolling when you make a valid point. I agree that is it unlikely they would mark it as hacked/illegal, but you never know (unless you work for or have spoken to Nintendo). I spoke with a friend of mine who is an ASM at the local GS and he said his store never received the new distro cart, so there is a chance that there are a number of them floating around out there. I'm probably going to ask a Nintendo rep at PAX this weekend just out of curiosity.

The new ROM is the cart sent to Gamestops to give out Celebi. It contains Celebi only (no gerbils) and the dates for distribution are slightly different from that of the old ROM. The Celebi given away from this ROM is identical to the one given away on the Mall Tour. The only theoretical difference would be the date received on your DS after you've been given it - Gamestop event didn't start till the 21st of February, Mall Tour started on the... 5th?

Edit: my 2 cents on the "is it legit" debate...

I say no, it is not.

The only reason we have the Gamestop Celebi is because someone a) got hold of the ROM and dumped it, and/or b) the DS at a Gamestop had its date changed and the Celebi was given away mistakenly.

This is not the first distro ROM that has been leaked, but there are also distro ROMs that to our knowledge have never been leaked.

I don't know of anyone who's ever managed to get a hold of the DS cart that was used by JB Hifi in Australia to give away the Red Scarf Manaphy, for example.

I have never heard nor seen a physical cart, or a dumped ROM of the cart used to give out Arceus in Australia early last year.

For all we know, those carts may have had other events on them, planned for release, but never used. If someone showed up now and said that they got their 'Blue Scarf Jirachi' from a JB Hifi back in the Manaphy movie giveaway days, we'd call it a hack because Nintendo never released the event, even if it may have been on that cart and accidentally distributed.

Edited by Least100Seraphs
add poll vote and opinion on gamestop celebi

Edit: my 2 cents on the "is it legit" debate...

I say no, it is not.

The only reason we have the Gamestop Celebi is because someone a) got hold of the ROM and dumped it, and/or b) the DS at a Gamestop had its date changed and the Celebi was given away mistakenly.

This is not the first distro ROM that has been leaked, but there are also distro ROMs that to our knowledge have never been leaked.

I don't know of anyone who's ever managed to get a hold of the DS cart that was used by JB Hifi in Australia to give away the Red Scarf Manaphy, for example.

I have never heard nor seen a physical cart, or a dumped ROM of the cart used to give out Arceus in Australia early last year.

For all we know, those carts may have had other events on them, planned for release, but never used. If someone showed up now and said that they got their 'Blue Scarf Jirachi' from a JB Hifi back in the Manaphy movie giveaway days, we'd call it a hack because Nintendo never released the event, even if it may have been on that cart and accidentally distributed.

I understand where you are coming from, but after talking with my friends, the Celebi they got this weekend have OT GAMESTP. I can assure you the date was not changed on the distribution DS. I have also checked with the ASM at the GS closest to me (he's a friend of mine) and he said they never got a new distro cart in. Like I said before, I'm going to ask a Nintendo rep at PAX East this weekend about it. They might not know, but never know unless you ask.

Here is what was sent to our league Owner when he posted on the Pokemon Fourms on Pokemon.com (Only Judges and other Pokemon Officials can get accsess to)

This is from Mike Liesik

From what I understand from the product development team, both distributions are legit.

GAMESTP Celebi is being distributed at GameStops in the US.

WIN2011 Celebi is being distributed via Wi-Fi "in" Europe.

As US English and UK English game cards can receive the same distribution data, it is possible for someone in the US to get the WIN2011 Celebi, even though it's intended for Europe.

In terms of Wonder Cards they're the same Celebi, so a player that has received one won't be able to receive the other.

Hope this helps.

Mike Liesik

Video Game Event Planner

The Pokemon Company International

I think the real question is why they would do this?

My Opinions:

1) GameStop Employees probably would think the Celebi wasn't on the last Distribution. ~Probably not likely though.

2) Someone botched up with OT. TCPi? wants more consistency to go along with English Gold & Silver 10th Anniversary Mew and it's FAL2010 or whatever that was. It might have also seemed lazy of them to just put GAMESTP on all the Distributions.

If it's coming from them, it has to be legit. If their response about the other one was confirmed legit, Twice now. It should be legit.

I think that just settles it then.

If it's the one you want to go for, then get the WIN2011 one IRL. If you're deciding which one to get, it's really about preference at this point.

I think the real question is why they would do this?

My Opinions:

1) GameStop Employees probably would think the Celebi wasn't on the last Distribution. ~Probably not likely though.

2) Someone botched up with OT. TCPi? wants more consistency to go along with English Gold & Silver 10th Anniversary Mew and it's FAL2010 or whatever that was. It might have also seemed lazy of them to just put GAMESTP on all the Distributions.

If it's coming from them, it has to be legit. If their response about the other one was confirmed legit, Twice now. It should be legit.

I think that just settles it then.

If it's the one you want to go for, then get the WIN2011 one IRL. If you're deciding which one to get, it's really about preference at this point.

This didn't settle it last time though. This is the second time someone has posted that Officials are saying it's Legit yet the discussion is still going on.

i just transfer my Celebi to my black and white and it works it activates the event, would that make it legal? or does it still have to be the WIN2011

It's legal regardless. Any fateful encounter Celebi works to activate the event. Doesn't matter if GAMESTP or WIN2011.

Here is what was sent to our league Owner when he posted on the Pokemon Fourms on Pokemon.com (Only Judges and other Pokemon Officials can get accsess to)

This is from Mike Liesik

From what I understand from the product development team, both distributions are legit.

GAMESTP Celebi is being distributed at GameStops in the US.

WIN2011 Celebi is being distributed via Wi-Fi "in" Europe.

As US English and UK English game cards can receive the same distribution data, it is possible for someone in the US to get the WIN2011 Celebi, even though it's intended for Europe.

In terms of Wonder Cards they're the same Celebi, so a player that has received one won't be able to receive the other.

Hope this helps.

Mike Liesik

Video Game Event Planner

The Pokemon Company International

Yes, but this person claims that the GAMESTP Celebi is being distributed in Gamestop at the USA while the WIN2011 one is distributed over Wi-Fi.

This is clearly wrong. We all know that Gamestop stores around the US are distributing the WIN2011 one (With a few exceptions) and that there's no Wi-Fi event Celebi.

Would his answer be the same if he knew that the GAMESTP Celebi wasn't officially distributed?

We already established that Nintendo screwed up and is acknowledging both as Legit. Why does EVERYONE have to ask him... I feel bad for the guy now. He probably has 800 emails a week dedicated to this one question. And honestly he doesn't even answer it properly because hes not thinking of it like us. Hes trying to tell everyone that its the SAME event and you cannot have BOTH. Hes not even thinking about whether people are asking if the gamestop one is legit or not BECAUSE IT IS.

• 5 years later...
  • theSLAYER pinned, unpinned and locked this topic
  • theSLAYER featured and unfeatured this topic