Archived Sticky: Is the GameStop Celebi 02271 still Legit?

Sabresite

Is the GameStop Celebi Legit?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is the GameStop Celebi Legit?

• Yes. Even though Nintendo/GameStop messed up the date, its still legit because it COULD have been distributed!
    • No. Because Nintendo did not go through with distributing it on the wrong date, its now "undistributed" content!

I emailed TPCI last night asking them why do they concider it a hack or legit Pokemon. and how will it be ruled in upcoming Tournaments like the Video Game Nationals. Once I get a replay I will post the email here and see what they say they might supprize us and say that they are going to count it as a legit Pokemon after all. and then again they might just cal lit a hack what ever they say I would say we should honor then.

Considering the upcoming tournaments will be Unova-Pokes only....

"Legal: Being able to naturally exist in the game, given the right circumstances. Iffeasability of the circumstance is irrelevant when determining Legality: if it ever could exist in the game, no matter how rare the circumstances, it is legal."

Looking at the question from the perspective of the distro cart, this definition says the Celebi is Legal.

"Legal: Being able to naturally exist in the game, given the right circumstances. Iffeasability of the circumstance is irrelevant when determining Legality: if it ever could exist in the game, no matter how rare the circumstances, it is legal."

Looking at the question from the perspective of the distro cart, this definition says the Celebi is Legal.

Celebi is definitely legal. The question is whether it is legit or not.

Hey, I just thought about something!

So... According to you guys, the Celebi is legit if it was obtained directly from a Gamestop employee, but it isn't legit if it was obtained from the leaked distribution cart.

Let me ask you this: If I caught a shiny Starly using a leaked rom of Platinum before release date, would you consider it legit or legal?

Let me ask you this: If I caught a shiny Starly using a leaked rom of Platinum before release date, would you consider it legit or legal?

I would consider it legal, but not legit: It wouldn't have been impossible for you to catch it in good faith (i.e. without knowing you were using a leaked rom). However, if you bought from a seller a copy of Pokémon Platinum before its release date (it actually happened to me with Pokémon Diamond, I bought it the day before its release), and then caught a shiny Starly, that Pokémon would be legit.

Online, it'd be impossible to verify whether that Starly was legit or not, since we'd have only your words to base the judgement on. As it has been done with every event contribution before, given that there were no signs of the Pokémon being hacked, I'd believe in your good faith (if you said you bought a retail cart before its release date, of course), and mark the Pokémon as legit.

Celebi is definitely legal. The question is whether it is legit or not.

Sorry, Sabre, I should have caught that.

Then am I wrong to assume that according to the provided definition of Legit, the Celebi would not be legit based on the fact that you would have to shortcut the date in order to obtain it?

Then am I wrong to assume that according to the provided definition of Legit, the Celebi would not be legit based on the fact that you would have to shortcut the date in order to obtain it?

What about my Celebi, it says the following:

Tag: Fateful Encounter at a Pokémon Event

OT: GAMESTP

ID: 01300

What about my Celebi, it says the following:

Tag: Fateful Encounter at a Pokémon Event

OT: GAMESTP

ID: 01300

To my knowledge there is no Celebi with that Id no. and OT.

Hey, I just thought about something!

So... According to you guys, the Celebi is legit if it was obtained directly from a Gamestop employee, but it isn't legit if it was obtained from the leaked distribution cart.

According to who? I say that it's illegitimate either way because it wasn't released officially by Nintendo. You can't really have both ways though. It's either Legit because some people got it from the Gamestop store. Or it's illegitimate beause you had to cheat the date to get it from a store or downloaded the Wonder Card. You can't say yes and no because eventually down the way in time you have no way of telling who actually got it from the store and how many people are going to be editing theirs to pass it off as getting it from the store. That's what I asked earlier though because everyone seems to be voting it Legit will it apply to only Celebi gotten from the store or all Celebi's period.

Okay, so it is now February 28, 2011. The day after the original distro cart was supposed to activate the Celebi event. I'm now wondering if some Gamestops will be using that cart for distribution. Like suppose you went into a Gamestop today and got the Celebi and the OT was GAMESTP. And if that did happen and people started reporting they are getting GAMESTP Celebi's from Gamestop, would it be legit then? It is possible some Gamestops could start using the previous distro cart. Its just something I wondered about.

It would be completely Legit then however it's highly unlikely to happen. I'm going to Gamestop today however to pre-order Black so I'll download Celebi and let you know.

Ask them if they still have the old johto beast cartridge, and if so, ask them if you can get it. Boom, you now have a legit GAMESTOP celebi ;)

Although my guess is that they shipped it back already.

Who edited my post? Anyways I will ask them if they do just for the sake of it. Also, I still wouldn't consider it Legit.

Edited by Tsujin

I shall be going to my nearest EB Games in a few moments, and I hope they have the Celebi distribution in there.

If they do, I will inform you of it's OT.

I downloaded the Celebi from Gamestop again and it was of course the WIN2011 Celebi. I asked the Manager working there as well if they still had the old Distro Cart and he said no that they had already shipped it back at the end of January and only had the WIN2011 one. So in order for someone to get a "Semi-Legit" one around here they had to do it during January.

I downloaded the Celebi from Gamestop again and it was of course the WIN2011 Celebi. I asked the Manager working there as well if they still had the old Distro Cart and he said no that they had already shipped it back at the end of January and only had the WIN2011 one. So in order for someone to get a "Semi-Legit" one around here they had to do it during January.

I just went in and pre-ordered my White version. They said the same exact thing.

There was someone on the Serebii chat that said he went to Gamestop today and they still had the old distribution cart.

In fact, they let him download the Raikou.

There was someone on the Serebii chat that said he went to Gamestop today and they still had the old distribution cart.

In fact, they let him download the Raikou.

Yeah, not believing that :P

The window was at least a week. I would be surprised if this new distro cart didn't have the beasts in addition to the new Celebi, which explains why that guy got the GameStop to give him the Raikou.

At that point it is up to opinion. Because a celebi that was obtained ingest MIGHT be VERY valuable to certain collectors, and at the same time, COMPLETELY worthless to others. I see it as an easter egg...

And who is to say that Nintendo even cares if gamestop changes the date on the distribution cartridge. Changing the date of your NDS is NOT hacking or illegal or cheating in any way.

No, the dogs are NOT on the new cartridge. Most stores if not all stores have sent cartridge back. We can get into big trouble not following directions. Also, if the cartridge hasn't been sent back a Nintendo Rep will pick it up when he/she come to do update on the demo units.

Yea, I have changed the date for a customer before so they could get the Celebi. Also, if you have the GameStop Celebi it doesn't allow you to download the new one. The cartridge arrived at my store roughly 2 or 3 days before the 21st.

I have dumped both cartridges. Also cartridges have two different IDs. Y8CE00 Belongs to the cartidge of the new Celebi. Y8PE0 is the Id for old.

Well, GF/NoA don't seem to like us changing the dates on our DS in the first place looking at how the Pal-Park system in D/P doesn't let you Park if the date is changed.

I would say they changed their mind looking at HG/SS Pal-Park doesn't do that (to my recollection), but B/W has the Dream World where if the date is changed, you have to wait 24 hours still. I'm agreeing with Kaphotics right now.

So, what I'm gathering from this is changing the date on your DS counts as Legal, meaning RNGing is Legal, meaning the Celebi is also Legal (according to Tsanth).