PokeGen - Sudden "Invalid Save File" Error

Ravidrath

PokeGen won't open a number of my Platinum save files now, saying they're invalid. The game reads them fine, and PokeSav can open them.

Not entirely sure what triggered this... I haven't had any problems with this at all recently, and it seems only to have started after I switched to 3.0b16.

Seems that it may go something like this...

1. Edit a file w/ Pokegen 3.0b16

2. Load it in the game - Platinum, in this case

3. Save immediately

4. Try to load in PokeGen

...That will say the file is invalid.

These files are still openable with PokeSav, however.

I've attached one of the files that no longer works.

PokePlat.sav

PokePlat.sav

Edited by Ravidrath

The suddenness comes from you editing the file manually or with another program that did it improperly. At least one of the block checksums are wrong. I didn't thoroughly check into it, so I can't be more specific than that. When loading the file regardless of the checksums, the data is corrupt.

I suppose it's possible that something ended up screwed up with generation 4 loading, however.

The suddenness comes from you editing the file manually or with another program that did it improperly. At least one of the block checksums are wrong. I didn't thoroughly check into it, so I can't be more specific than that. When loading the file regardless of the checksums, the data is corrupt.

I suppose it's possible that something ended up screwed up with generation 4 loading, however.

Hmm, the only time that file would've been edited by something else would be adding the Shiny Beast Wondercards via PokeSav. I feel like I would've done that before now with other SAVs I presently use PokeGen on, however, but maybe not.

If I can reproduce it, I'll post another SAV.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, new round here but don't worry - I've searched and haven't found anyone else reporting exactly the same problem, but this thread is similar. Apologes if this turns out to be a newbie error.

I too am getting the "Invalid Save File" when I try to open my Pokemon White save file, thing is I have't got Pokégen to work with it at all yet so it can't be a save error or anything like that. I'm using Desmume, so the initial save file is a .dsv, which Pokégen says is an Invalid Save File. Fine. I've tried converting it to a 512KB .sav file but this gets the error message too. This is happening regardless of whether I've ticked "Ignore save file checksums". What's really confusing me is Pokégen is quite happily opening my Platinum and SoulSilver .sav files from when I used Pokésav.

So, any adivce?

Hi guys, new round here but don't worry - I've searched and haven't found anyone else reporting exactly the same problem, but this thread is similar. Apologes if this turns out to be a newbie error.

I too am getting the "Invalid Save File" when I try to open my Pokemon White save file, thing is I have't got Pokégen to work with it at all yet so it can't be a save error or anything like that. I'm using Desmume, so the initial save file is a .dsv, which Pokégen says is an Invalid Save File. Fine. I've tried converting it to a 512KB .sav file but this gets the error message too. This is happening regardless of whether I've ticked "Ignore save file checksums". What's really confusing me is Pokégen is quite happily opening my Platinum and SoulSilver .sav files from when I used Pokésav.

So, any adivce?

Posting the save file is the quickest way for me to identify the problem.

• 6 months later...