It's called RESPECT.

This is an issue brought up again and again. I don't care what we're discussing, whether it be we're debating the finer points of the DNA structure or reading a story posted by one of our fine members here, or discussing how to create a good competative battling team in Pokemon Platinum.

Whatever. Pick your point.

We need to have absolute respect for one another's opinions. None of that 'you're wrong and I'm right' crap. We all have reasons to why we think and believe a certain way. We need to respect that in ourselves and in the people here.

If you want to debate something, state your stance, and give good examples as to why you feel that way. [As my Journalism teacher used to say, always give at least three examples for a good argument!]

And don't be offended when someone states something differently than your opinion. They have their opinions, you have yours. Feel free to discuss the points and clarify where points need to be added in detail.

This isn't the place to attack anyone for what they believe. We all believe differently. Religion, especially, is a topic in which you need to have great respect for others' views.

Respect is everywhere you go in this forum. So you like Mudkip, why do you like Mudkip? Because it's cute? Because you like water types? You like its evolution of Swampert? Well what? Don't just say "Mupkip is the best pokemon ever." Give examples as to why, and let the reader draw their own conclusion as to why you may be right or why you may be wrong.

Is my point clear? :bidoof:

It's called respect, people. Have some, please.

I...haven't noticed this problem.

If you're in a serious discussion, then there'll be a certain level of debate, and debate is fine. People don't have to agree with each other, and it may get a bit heated. But being passionate about your point is fine. And as you said, people shouldn't get disagreeing/being passionate with insults.

Now if someone does turn a discussion into something personal, that's flaming, and they should be reported so it can be taken care of.

But even with opinions, it isn't always as simple "Well I guess we'll just agree to disagree." People can have crap opinions. They might just be talking out of their ass (like I do :bidoof: ), or use some type of horrible logical fallacy, or not justifying their opinion, etc... And people should feel free to point that out.

But as I said, I haven't really noticed this as a problem. If it is (and I tend to keep to a few forums), report it, and I'm sure a mod or admin will look into it.

You all suck!

...I'm just kidding. No, serious. ^^

I agree with your points though. Disagreements do occur, but there's no need to insult the other. Just prove your arguement with well thought out points :)

As staff here, we will try our best to keep the site free of any posts blatantly attacking other peoples' beliefs. It's our job to stay mostly neutral in many types of debates. There is a fine line between offensive statements and debate, however, and we will keep a watch for that. :)

understood, i do my best to respect others.

However, that is kinda oxymoron for the debate forum, eh?

One can debate and argue and discuss WITHOUT insulting the other person.

The first rule in the debate forum is:

1) Respect everyone's opinion.

This does not mean that you cannot disagree and discuss. But it must be done in a respectful manner.

I agree, respect's quite important in every kind of society (real and teh internetz ones)

And you know, fortunately, I haven't seen this problem (but I do believe the moderators have had this issue)

It's okay to disagree from time to time but no one should fall into insults

A valid point most certainly. I'm sure that most of the problems are caused by people getting overworked about something in an argument and then they write something they wish they never wrote. Although you can edit posts it doesn't mean it wasn't read before you edited it. I know that when I've been insulted here (only on a few occasions) the person was actually right so although it might offend you, you might want to take a look at it and ask yourself are they right? I know some people have self control issues (not referring to anyone here that i know of) that need to think before they say something because they were hurt. Respect is important and unfortunately something we all fall in at some point. So a good point and reminder okami! :)

'you're wrong and I'm right' crap.

Who does that anyway?

I haven't encountered anyone who just bluntly attacks someone intentionally, Project Pokemon/Pokesav has respectful members, and if anyone who does go over the dark side, I'm pretty sure the mods would take care of it before we even realize.

Sometimes when people shout out <Insert Pokemon Here> is the best Pokemon, then the usual case is they're just joking around.

Who does that anyway?

I haven't encountered anyone who just bluntly attacks someone intentionally, Project Pokemon/Pokesav has respectful members, and if anyone who does go over the dark side, I'm pretty sure the mods would take care of it before we even realize.

Sometimes when people shout out <Insert Pokemon Here> is the best Pokemon, then the usual case is they're just joking around.

well, in any debate where there is one party that has all the evidence on their side and a few other people still hold out against all logic, there would be a little of this around. I'm sure you can think of some debates where this is true.

The other thing is that when people say something like "dude only fucking retards like totodile, real men prefer the notably more badass squirtle", then its a pretty obvious joke. Then again I'm not sure why anyone would ever get upset for being called stupid over the issue of what pokemon they like more.

Hm? How did I miss this thread?

I don't get it... I haven't seen a problem like this yet... and favorite Pokemon thing is usually a joke. If I say "MUDKIPZ RULE!!" I'm usually joking... although I really love those cute mudfish! ^_^

I wonder what specific topic got Okami enraged like this... and sorry, I'm a troll!

The thing that starts these arguments is, even if the other person gets proved wrong, they don't want to look like an idiot, so they keep defending pure crap, even I've done it before. But now I'm starting to accept and admit when I've been proved wrong. People should just grow up.

Dude only fucking retards like Totodile, real men prefer the notably more bad ass Squirtle.

That made me laugh pretty hard, haha.

Anyway I haven't seen a single case of this yet ( Besides the obviously apparent " plz hack team 4 mi " stuff that a forum like this is bound to get, which is really a lack of respect for us here I think ) is there any particular thread I should look at? or is this just a general statement because you ( Okami ) think things might get out of hand sooner or later? ( As we have an Active Religious debate thread at the moment et cetera )

I'm generally trying to be as respectful as possible when I post, and myself have not seen an instance of real " should be infracted for" disrespect yet.

Maybe Pokecommunity should adopt this thread. There's tons of disrespect there, you wouldn't believe it.

There's really no need to bring up another site, at least in the context of this thread. It's not like the staff here have any control outside of PP.

Maybe Pokecommunity should adopt this thread. There's tons of disrespect there, you wouldn't believe it.

Basically what randomspot555 said and if you think there is too much disrespect there, then don't go there.

Yes, I do believe that if things aren't handled well, they will fester and become out of hand. Remember that I'm a Moderator in another Pokemon community, and I've seen it happen...that's why my authority kicked in almost out of impulse here.

The thing is, if you're wrong, humbly admit you're wrong and get over it; respect the other person for calming you out and respect the fact that you were wrong. This exact thing is happening in an after-school program I attend every Monday. There is no respect there, and there should be, because we're a higher level than the rest of our class and are therefore, leaders. (Everything revolves in this cycle of respect, as a result)

As the result of respect, this community could one day become a leader next to Smogon and Serebii and the like...but we will never grow and mature if we don't respect one another's views.

In order to be leaders of our community here at the Project, we need to handle everything with something as simple as respect. :]

Yes, I do believe that if things aren't handled well, they will fester and become out of hand. Remember that I'm a Moderator in another Pokemon community, and I've seen it happen...that's why my authority kicked in almost out of impulse here.

The thing is, if you're wrong, humbly admit you're wrong and get over it; respect the other person for calming you out and respect the fact that you were wrong. This exact thing is happening in an after-school program I attend every Monday. There is no respect there, and there should be, because we're a higher level than the rest of our class and are therefore, leaders. (Everything revolves in this cycle of respect, as a result)

As the result of respect, this community could one day become a leader next to Smogon and Serebii and the like...but we will never grow and mature if we don't respect one another's views.

In order to be leaders of our community here at the Project, we need to handle everything with something as simple as respect. :]

And...where is this happening? I'm not noticing this as some type of wide-spread problem like you are.

There's a total of 19 reports in the reports forum. If this respect problem was that big, I'd think there'd be more reports.

I've only seen a handful of disrespectful, mean spirited posts. And for the most part, they're not even directed at PP or members of PP forums, but other people in the fan community or at other fan sites.

I also disagree that anything on the forums will hold the site back. SPPF has tons of idiots, furries, and otherwise creepy characters. But the main site itself still is quality regardless of the creepy fan-fic drawings posted on the forums. Same goes for Smogon. It's known for it's main sites, not it's forum.

It's more of a forewarning than anything, Spotty =/ (And no disrespect there, I just think that alias is cool! :D)

The fact is, I've seen enough subtle hints towards disrespect here that this just needs to be made clear. Hinting at it eventually leads to more and more spiteful attitudes, which by extention spirals into a downhill of negativity. Not cool, man, not cool!

It's all over in my other community, and even while they are not us, human nature tends to repeat itself no matter whereat...I'm just taking precautious measurements for the safety of our members. :]

Yes, but forums also note the quality of the people who work to better the community. I would rather be seen as a respectful group than a group of creepy furry-esque people working on all of this. Perhaps it's just yet another personal preference. We can put on a good show, but it's just not the same if we have technical skeletons in our closet.

So it's just a forewarning? I thought some topic here must have ticked you off or whatnot. It's a very good point but I haven't seen it happen yet... unless you can show me where it has happened.

Dude only ****ing retards like Totodile, real men prefer the notably more bad @$$ Squirtle.

That made me laugh pretty hard, haha.

But I like that juvenile Crocodile (ha, Nile Crocodile!) just as much as the cute turtle :(

I...haven't noticed this problem.

If you're in a serious discussion, then there'll be a certain level of debate, and debate is fine. People don't have to agree with each other, and it may get a bit heated. But being passionate about your point is fine. And as you said, people shouldn't get disagreeing/being passionate with insults.

Now if someone does turn a discussion into something personal, that's flaming, and they should be reported so it can be taken care of.

But even with opinions, it isn't always as simple "Well I guess we'll just agree to disagree." People can have crap opinions. They might just be talking out of their ass (like I do :bidoof: ), or use some type of horrible logical fallacy, or not justifying their opinion, etc... And people should feel free to point that out.

But as I said, I haven't really noticed this as a problem. If it is (and I tend to keep to a few forums), report it, and I'm sure a mod or admin will look into it.

I havent noticed this problem at all and i think everyone here is mature enough not to start fights over silly little thinks and respect one another.