Swine flu, big deal?

Azelf

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this. I've had a few debates about it in real life and on IRC, so I thought I'd take it to some sort of forums. So yeah, what are your thoughts?

Personally, at first I was a bit freaked out and thought "osnap" but now I think it's just getting stupid. The media blow it out of proportion, yet again, however councils and governments tell people to "not be alarmed". Now I have just grown bored of it in a way, it's not much different to any other flu ro virus, apart from the fact it is "new".

So what's your opinion? Should we make such a big deal out of it? Is it worth closing schools etc. over?

It is not a big deal. The swine flu is only a threat because there is no vaccination yet. The swine flu is no different from any other influenza, and the news keep bringing it up to, guess what, ALARM YOU. They want you to be freaked out so you watch more news programs. Its really stupid to scare people for higher ratings. But still, schools closing down is my personal favorite thing out of this experience, so awesome. Too bad I go to home school...

Swine flu has many characteristics of the normal flu, from what I hear, but like FLOOTENKERP said there isn't a cure for it yet. They just don't want it to evolve into a more serious threat to where it can possibly become an epidemic and cause some real problems.

It is an actual threat to consider. Yes, cable news makes it seem like the end of the world. But people who are health care professionals are taking it seriously. A number of hospitals in my area are putting heavy restrictions on visitors, and some school districts have given their principals the authority to shut down the school if need be.

The CDC said themselves they made too much of a big deal out of it. So I'm not so worried anymore. Plus, the 'suspected case' at my school has cleared as negative, so we're good here. Of course, now there's ten more schools around the area facing their own closing crises now from suspected cases; look what we started! xD;

Everything in the media is overly exaggerated. There are things to beware of, but it doesn't mean you should worry too much about it. Don't be careless.

This is the whole liberty vs security argument. Make sure you do not completely surrender yourself to the government! Something very sinister is going on behind the curtains.

This isn't The Wizard of Oz.

I'm all for a good New World Order conspiracy every now and then, but Zebras say otherwise.

:)

I believe something terrible is going on. It isn't everyday you see an American president being hailed as the next Messiah... o_O

What bugs me is that a few people get the pig flu, and everyone is bat$H!X scared.

Where as millions of people have AIDS, and yet they still refuse to wear a condom?

... distractions. People do stupid things... such as premarital sex. If people would stop being so careless stuff like this wouldn't happen :D

Look, people in America like to freak out over little things. The whole reason why we're going nuts over the Swine Flu is because we don't have a definative cure/vaccine for it.

People have died in Mexico, that is true. Mexico also has 10 times as many drug dealers than they do doctors. Sanitary conditions there are horrible and there is a great lack of healthcare and hospitals.

Swine Flu hasn't killed anyone here. It behaves in a similar fashion to the regular flu, which we have a cure/vaccine for.

I think its the media but not the government. Anyone remember the "Africanized Bees" incident from a few years ago?

Whenever I see Obama talk about it I just hear him saying "Shut the hell up, we have a cure, go back home."

I think one person in Texas has died from it. But that's really nothing compared to the amount of people that pass away due to the regular flu. As for the 'freak out' its not as much the American people but the media that's the cause of those freak outs and the people who are stupid enough to not do their own research on it and follow the media blindly.

Hmmm, that would seem pretty obvious, that they would of came from Mexico, well in New Zealand, i think i heard it over the Radio.....i think, that there's around 10 people have been quarantined, and cured....i think, and there's around 100 suspects, but they haven't reached the part of the country I'm in, but it's very close.

Well, I live in Mexico and you know what? swine flu (btw called human flu not swine, cause it doesn't comes from pigs just a freaking mutation whatsoever) is just Bullsh!t there are 100 million mexicans in the country and just 2000 were infected and just about 60 died because they didn't get treatment, because they thought it was a normal flu.

Media exaggerates everything and what really pisses me off is that many countries (south american countries mainly) have shut their doors to us telling we are the source of the flu, and haven't checked out what we mexicans are doing to stop the viral sh!t...

Gosh! I had to take that off my chest

100 and something people died, but most were mis-diagnose and only 26 people died from the Swine Flu. Hardly anything when it's been 3 weeks. I calculated it out for the regular flu, it's 35,000 people that die a year so about 150 a week.

A difference of about 150 to 8. =/

Yes! I can write a lot here.

My first point is that the flu is not a fun thing.

You start out slow. Soar throat stuffy/runny nose then it gets worse...you get a fever and are confined to sitting and laying around. You lose all apetite and your throat burns plus it is hard to breathe normally through your nose. Then you get a cough and boy it is horrible. Constant coughing to the point where it needs treatment for that alone. Plus this is the fun part, if your fever goes to high you vomit so any food you had in you comes right back up or out the other end as diaria. So if your fever is high you could very well wake up and vomit. Plus your fever being so high you start to shiver and shake that sends needles and needles of pain constantly through your body then comes the hallucinations. If you have a really high temp, low water intake (because of diaria and vomit, low sleep because of other symptoms you can start to see things. Trust me the flu is not something to go wishing upon someone no matter how badly you want school to be closed.

This flu has no cure

There isn't a vaccination or a type of medicine to handle it. The regular flu attacks in the respiratory system and higher up in the lungs. This allows the medicine to attack the flu that dwells there and get it over with however the swine flu is different. The swine flu attacks lower in the lungs making the medicine far less effective. This attack style is similar to the attack style of the 1918 flu which mind you caused an epidemic.

As for vaccinations, everyone should get a flu shot but that doesn't mean you cant get the flu for there are many strains of it and the vaccination only protects against one strain so the new vaccination would mean another flu shot specifically for the swine flu.

Epidemic?

Probably not but still possible. I do believe that the CDC is somewhat worried about it because of other flu problems such as the 1918 flu which killed quite an amount of people. The swine flu like other flues will be more effective in third world countries where the water is contaminated or nonexistant. So the fact that there isn't even a way to fight it is absolutely devastating.

Mexico

yes this disease originated in mexico by someone who had contact with a pig. Most of the deaths from this virus are in mexico because of their contaminated water. Travel from in an out of this country has been extremely monitored ever since the out break and that is why they are closing down schools because the flu is very contagious.

Closing schools

This is happening all over the world because of the flu's high contingency rate. It is so contagious that you can catch it by being around someone that has it. Even if that person doesn't know because the symptoms are not visible yet. The flu although not publicized does take hundreds of lives each year and is not a laughing matter. Although the CDC appears to be on top of things if the virus mutates somehow like some of the flu viruses in the past then it could become a problem.

A big deal?

In the richer countries and ones with a good water source it isn't that large of a deal but for countries with contaminated water supply it is.

That is all I have to say

\Soar throat stuffy/runny nose

:eek: My throat has been slightly in pain, and my nose has been getting runny, but it's starting to be Winter here? although 5 of my friends recently got Colds, and Flu, and i've had contact with them.:confused:

I hope i didn't catch it, i actually do feel slightly sick, when i was running with my dog, i couldn't run up that hill as easily as before, i seem to run out of breathe more often, and i do feel slightly weak, was doing my everyday chin ups, and press ups, and i could only do 25 push ups in 30 seconds, compared to my regular 38, and my chin ups are only 10, to my average 20, :( ok I'm getting kinda scared.

Well i was watching the News GASP! i know right, but they said that over 100 died in Mexico, mainly the "Street Peeps" or possibly, i misheard it for infected.

just... what did I wrote about media? 60 died out of HUMAN flu not swine flu, and yes many others died but it was just flu, they just didn't get treatment because most of those people can't afford to pay the cure YES there IS actually a CURE for both FLU and HUMAN FLU