Pokémon Black and White Translation Project v4: Revenge of the Translation (read first 3 posts)

randomspot555

Why do I have the feeling this thread is going to be locked again...again...

I honestly do not understand your negativity here. The thread is going to get locked why? Because I'm not rushing the update out yet?

The other thread got locked because of its inactivity. The project looked dead. It is not. Vgperson and I have been working on things for a while now. As a matter of fact, I spent over seven hours yesterday merging his changes with mine. Over 700 files needed to be looked over and the changes compared with each other. I can't just copy his repository over mine. We've made different types of edits to the same sets of files. In other words, they went into different directions. It simply takes time.

And not only that, the changes need to be tested. That also takes time. What good would it do just to package everything up only to have critical mistakes cause, at worst, cause the game to crash and make it unplayable? I'm not going to rush it out. It WILL get released. It's taking more time than I thought, and that is OK. I want to make sure everything works. Some bugs were already found, and fixed.

You'll have to be patient for a little while longer. It will be worth the wait, I assure you.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just include the currently released english names into an update.

Also if I've got an older patched version of pokemon white, can I update it with a newer patch? Or do I have to start from scratch with patching it?

Your save file will be intact. Only the ROM itself gets patched. As long as your save file has the same name of your ROM, your save will not be lost.

Im not even sure if they should include the original English names in the final patches of the translation because well 1 main reason because we don't know all the official English names yet so I would just say as long as the Japanese names are correct then I wouldnt bother to have them changed since the English release is now just 3 months away. So I'd say just fix what needs to be fixed and translated but don't worry about translating the official names from the English release into this.

I'm going to include all of the released information into the patch. This includes a few Pokémon, some attack, town and ability names. It isn't a long list and is very easily implemented.

Some people are asking for special versions of the patch that will be released, like Pokémon with katakana names. This can be implemented, but the main priority right now is to get this released ASAP. It shouldn't be hard to do however.

The one thing I do not have experience with is changing the logo, status effect icons, or the move type icons. I assume these need to be included into the patch is well. If someone could provide links or instructions on how to change those out, it would help greatly.

And one last thing: I'm working on getting this patch pushed out every day. I have to work a 10 hour shift today, and tomorrow, but I will be spending at least 5 hours every day on it until it is out. It will not take long. Most of this is play testing at this point; making sure everything works.

If you want to make this phase go faster, then please help play test. I know I've said this many times already, but I can't stress this enough. There is ALWAYS mistakes when changing a massive amount of files. You can help by taking the files at the repository in the first post, and integrating them into your ROM using PPTXT. Then play the game and report any mistakes that you find. It's not that hard, and you won't have to wait until I release the patch, you will already have it!

With that being said, I estimate the patch being released Tuesday or Wednesday. I still need to figure out how to change the logo, and all of the little icons into English.

I actually meant if I had an older existing rom, and wanted to patch it to the latest version, or if I would have to start fresh from a clean rom.

I wasn't able to patch over unless doing so from a clean rom however.

You should be able to use your existing ROM, replacing narcs

\0\0\2 <- Main narc, use https://github.com/Koolayde/Pokemon-Black-White-Translation-Files

\0\0\3 <- Story narc, use https://github.com/Koolayde/Pokemon-Black-White-Story-Translation-Files

You should be able to take just those narcs from your clean ROM, patch them with PPTXT, and then insert them into the ROM that you were using. It should work just fine.

I'm still investigating the issue as to why I haven't been able to just patch over the existing narcs.

I think he was asking about applying the actual patches rather than inserting the narcs manually. In which case, yes, I believe you need to have a clean ROM to patch every time.

Also, I have that issue too: when inserting into an already-English 0/0/2, it always seems to crash at the particularly large 189 (the Trainer dialogue). It didn't do this until I had translated a significant amount of that dialogue (and generally, there's several times more English letters than Japanese characters), so it's evidently some kind of issue with very large files.

I'm getting ready to post a treat for everyone!

...Anyone care to guess what that is? Well, its so big its going to take three posts!

Need another hint? Check my GIT. :o

https://github.com/Koolayde/

Version 8.01 is Released! (Version 8.00 had an issue with attack type icons)

Version 8.01 Pokemon Black Patch

Version 8.01 Pokemon Black Kana Patch

Version 8.01 Pokemon White Patch

Version 8.01 Pokemon White Kana Patch

Version 8.01 Pokemon Black Patch Mirror

Version 8.01 Pokemon Black Kana Patch Mirror

Version 8.01 Pokemon White Patch Mirror

Version 8.01 Pokemon White Kana Patch Mirror

Special patch types that were requested are here:

Version 8.01 Pokemon Black Patch - Original Pokemon Names

Version 8.01 Pokemon White Patch - Original Pokemon Names

Patch Installation Instructions

+===========================================================+
          +            PATCH INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS                +
   +===========================================================+

WARNING!
Follow these to the letter!  I'm not responsible for you corrupting, misplacing,
or accidently deleting your ROM or save game if you don't take two minutes to read
these instructions!

==========================================================
   STEP 1.  BACKUP YOUR ORIGNAL SAVE AND ROM FILES!
Make copies of your ROM and your save file and store them in a safe place!
I'm not kidding!

* -	Most Nintendo DS ROMs have the extension .nds.

* -	Save files can vary depending on which platform you are playing on.
Examples: .sav, .dsv

STEP 2.  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CLEAN VERSION OF THE
            ROM TO PATCH THE GAME WITH!
You have a clean version of the ROM we are about to patch, right?
Do NOT patch over the previous version of the translation!
Do this and you'll be asking for trouble!

=========================================================
   STEP 3.  GO AHEAD AND PATCH THE GAME!
=========================================================
Didn't read the first two steps?  Well, go back already!

This is what we have all been waiting for, right?  Well if you were able
to follow the first two steps then we are almost done!

a.  Extract the files into a folder which you can easily get to.
	There will be three files in the archive.
		xdelta.exe
		xDelta GUI.exe
	* and ONE of the following PATCH files *
		8.00PokemonBlack.patch
		8.00PokemonWhite.patch
		8.00PokemonBlackKana.patch
		8.00PokemonWhiteKana.patch

b.  Go into the directory in which you extracted the files to.
    Run xDelta GUI.exe

Click [select Patch].  Select the patch file that is applicable
    to the version you downloaded.

Click [select ROM].  Select the CLEAN version of your ROM that we
    are going to patch.  Do NOT select the previous version of the translation!

Wait for about 60 seconds before continuing.  There will be NO popup stating
    that the patch process is complete!

c.  Look for a ROM that has '_patched' in its name.  That is the
    newly patched ROM.  Did you make a backup of your save and your
    current ROM?  Because if you did, well...

d.  Rename the ROM to something along the lines of PokemonBlackV8.nds
    The name for the ROM iteself isn't very important, but you must know
    which one it is!

e.  MOST important part!  Unless you like starting over from scratch, take your
    save file (that you HOPEFULLY backed up) and rename it so that it matches
    the name of your ROM.

If your ROM is named PokemonBlackV8.nds, then you need to name your ROM
    PokemonBlackV8.sav or PokemonBlackV8.dsv.  The last part of the filename will
    vary depending on the emulator or the flash cart that you use.

f.  Depending on how you are playing the game, you may need various other patches
    to gain EXP, use the Union Room, or other features.  This patch DOES NOT
    include those patches too!  You MUST re-apply them.

This includes, but not limited to:
	* - Rudolph's Child's Play Patch (In order to gain EXP)
	* - Rudolph's R4 or R3 patch (In order to fix the black Union Room freeze)
	* - Other patches that I may not have listed here.

g.  The patch process is complete!  You may go ahead and play your newly patched game,
    but you will be FAR better off reading the information below!

FAQ:

Do I need to use a clean dump of the game in order to use this patch?

Yes. Trying to patch over the previous version may cause issues. Don't do it.

Which version of the Logo is this patch using?

Same as the last patch. I could not find help to get the released logo into the game, but that isn't very important. You can still play it. xD

Does this include the EXP patch, or any of the other game fix patches?

No. If you need those fixes, then you will need to apply them AFTER applying this patch.

Do I really need to read the README? (Or that wall of text for instructions above?)

Yes! Not only will you be more informed, but you will have a less of a chance of accidentally messing up your saved game.

Can I use my old save game or do I need to start fresh again?

You may re-use your save without problems. However, in order to do so, the name of the save must match the name of your ROM.

Where I can I find information from the other FAQs that were posted?

Link is here.

Please give vgperson a thank you for letting me include his most recent translations into this patch!

Edited by Koolayde

Online Play FAQ:

Now that it is translated, how do I play online? I'm absolutely clueless.

First, read the in-game Info screens. They have been totally re-written and will provide you an immense amount of help on what to do.

The Global Link NPC is in the Pokemon Center on the top floor, all the way to the right.

Some of the more advanced features require you to register your Game Sync ID on http://www.pokemon-gl.com.

What can I do online?

At the Wi-Fi Club, you can chat using Voice Chat, the Live Caster (the camera will NOT work if you are using a Flash Cart), Trade and Battle.

At the Global Link counter, you can do Random Matchups (they are exactly what they sound like), use the GTS in either traditional or Negotiation mode (Negotiation is where you search or offer from a generic type list or a level range.) , view Battle Videos and Musical Photos.

How do I get my Game Sync ID?

First, make sure your Wi-Fi settings are set up. You can do that from the main menu. The text will be in Japanese, but all the buttons are in the same places.

Next, from the Title Screen, go into GL: Game Sync. This will start the process for acquiring your Game Sync ID. Follow the prompts and you will have your Game Sync ID in no time!

You could, alternatively, go into your C-Gear and preform a Game Sync using the Wi-Fi button. Be warned, that if you touch this button the process will take longer. There is no harm in doing this.

How can I use the Rating Mode and the expanded features?

Whoo-boy. I hope you know what you are about to get into! :biggrin:

Take that Game Sync ID from the above question, and get on your PC! Get ready, because you are going to have to learn how to read Japanese in the next 30 seconds!

...Well, not really. BUT, you will need to read the following links to learn enough to be able to register:

Serebii Pokemon Global Link Guide (General Information about the Global Link)

Serebii Global Battle Union Guide (More in-depth information about Battling Online)

Serebii Global Link Tutorial (About registering on the Global Link, you NEED this)

You will not be able to use Rating Mode or enter into tournaments at all until you complete registration of your Game Sync ID. If I were you, when completing the registration form, get a tab open with Google Translate. You can use it to translate sections of the registration form. Don't think you will be able to translate the rest of the site with this, however, its all in Flash. You're screwed.

What is the GL: Pokemon Tournament item on the title screen?

The Global Link has the ability to host tournaments over Nintendo WFC. There aren't any tournaments taking place right now, however. This is the option you would use to register your Pokemon in your Battle Box into a tournament. Tournaments can have restrictions upon which Pokemon are allowed to enter. Once you successfully register, your Battle Box will be locked. You will not be able to change or alter the Pokemon inside the box in any way unless you cancel your registration in the tournament.

By the way, the translations I put into the tournament sections of the dialogue haven't been play tested. If you somehow are able to take part on one of these tournaments, don't be surprised if there are mistakes or lines that are in the wrong context.

I tried to go on-line and it says my Pokemon are out of regulations! What gives?

Legendary Pokemon are banned from use over the Global Link.

Pokemon with the move Free Fall are banned from the Global Link.

You can't use more than one of the same item or Pokemon.

Lastly, if you are sure that all your Pokemon are meeting the requirements (check the in-game info!), there is a possibility that the server is rejecting your Pokemon because of their names. The server may require 5 character long Pokemon names. You will need either take out the offending Pokemon, use the in-game Name Rater to change the name to meet those requirements, or use Pokesav to do it. If you are going to Pokesav to do it, be careful. The server may reject Pokemon with illegal move sets, IV or EV points!

Edited by Koolayde

Changelog

[bugfixes]

The Pokedex will now properly display "Pokémon".

The Learn Move dialog no longer chops off the last part of the message.

[Online/Multiplayer Related]

The Union Room is 90% translated.

Basically, all aspects of it are translated except for the chatting mode

and a few error messages.

The Pokemon Center Wi-Fi Club is 90% translated.

A few error messages remain.

The Global Link, GTS, GTS Negotiation, Random Matchup, Battle Video and Musical Photos

areas of the Nintendo WFC counter in the PokeCenter have been 95% translated.

The GL: Game Sync and the GL: Pokemon Tournament screens in the Main Menu have been

retranslated. They are approximately 75% complete.

WARNING! The Pokemon Tournament screens have not been actively play tested!

There may be errors or mistranslations that do not match context. Please

report these errors to me if you are somehow able to get into a Pokemon Tournament

over Nintendo WFC!

[Pokemon Related]

Pokemon which their English names have been revealed have been renamed to those names:

Chillarmy -> Minccino

Gigaiath -> Gigalith

Meguroco -> Sandile

Shimama -> Blitzle

Pokabu -> Tepig

Mijumaru -> Oshawott

Tsutarja -> Snivy

Yanappu -> Pansage

Baoppu -> Pansear

Hiyapuu -> Panpour

Hihidaruma -> Darmanitan

Boltolos -> Voltolos

Certain moves and abilities have been renamed to official English version names:

Turbo Blaze -> Turboblaze

Terra Volt -> Teravolt

Encourage -> Sheer Force

[Person/NPC Related]

The following people/NPCs have had their names changed:

Professor Araragi -> Professor Juniper

Arti -> Arty

Bel -> Belle

Geechisu -> Getis

Kamitsure -> Camille

Fuuro -> Flo

Cattleya -> Caitlin

[Location Related]

The following locations have had their names changed:

Isshu -> Unova

Shippou City -> Shippo City

Hiun City -> Castelia City

[battle Related]

Much of the Battle Subway has now been translated.

The Big Stadium has been translated.

The Little Court has been translated.

[Translation Related]

Many, many incorrect translation messages have been re-written.

Many, many spelling and grammar errors have been fixed.

[Other changes]

Way too many to list so I'm gonna cheat and put a catch-all category here. >_>

Known Issues:

The Global Link Pokemon Tournament dialogue may be incorrect or out of context. I cannot fix this until I'm able to play test this code.

Edited by Koolayde

It's pretty much just my preference. Fuuro seems to come from the Japanese name for the flower genus Geranium; since they're completely different between the languages, there isn't really a definite way to romanize it. So I went with Flo because I thought it worked better as a name (and it sorta fits her Flying type, too, though I doubt it'll actually be her official English name what with competition like Skye and Wendy).

Preference is also basically why I went with Belle over Bel, Arty over Arti(e), and Getis over Geechisu or Geutis or whatever the heck (honestly, beyond the "G Cis" theory, which sounds awfully strange, I'm really stumped as to where his name comes from).

However, Shouro to Shorea, Kamitsure to Camille, and Yakon to Yacon are all to match flower names, so there's not much to dispute there. (Though I forget which of the formers, if any, were actually used in earlier versions.)

EDIT: Testing the patch, and the move type images seem to be back to Japanese for some reason. I think they're in 0/8/3.narc, so you should be able to just import that from one of the previous patches.

It's pretty much just my preference. Fuuro seems to come from the Japanese name for the flower genus Geranium; since they're completely different between the languages, there isn't really a definite way to romanize it. So I went with Flo because I thought it worked better as a name (and it sorta fits her Flying type, too, though I doubt it'll actually be her official English name what with competition like Skye and Wendy).

Preference is also basically why I went with Belle over Bel, Arty over Arti(e), and Getis over Geechisu or Geutis or whatever the heck (honestly, beyond the "G Cis" theory, which sounds awfully strange, I'm really stumped as to where his name comes from).

However, Shouro to Shorea, Kamitsure to Camille, and Yakon to Yacon are all to match flower names, so there's not much to dispute there. (Though I forget which of the formers, if any, were actually used in earlier versions.)

EDIT: Testing the patch, and the move type images seem to be back to Japanese for some reason. I think they're in 0/8/3.narc, so you should be able to just import that from one of the previous patches.

I'll see if that will fix it. Let me try.

Figures I would release the patch when the Global Link is down for scheduled maintenance. T_T

Can get Game Sync ID when it goes back up in 3 more hours! (8PM in Japan, 5AM Central time here in the US)

Edit: And I found a typo in one of my message edits. Yay.

Can you make a separate patch that keeps the original names of the Pokemon instead of the Official English names Koolayde? Reason why is because with the U.S. release only 3 months away most of us inlcuding myself probably don't really need the official English names the few that are already in there and it makes everything strange yet I want the different corrections at the same time :/

Edited by AuroraVirus