A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

And finally, I have started experimenting with what might become the first save backup tool working on the DSi - once I got everything worked out, you *might* be able to run the program as a download play game, very similar to the transfer machine in B/W. (Don't count on it, though. There is still a myriad of difficulties to overcome, including getting a download play server running at all.)

Is there a way to bypass the RSA signature check on the DSi? Because I don't think I've heard of one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! can you make this aplication cann make the savegame at the same directoy of the program??? i have an action replay for DSi and i dont have a slot 2 card or router for the ftp server

Oh, hello there.

I was directed to this thread by the lovely Bond697, and to be blunt, I'm eternally grateful that this exists :P

In case this helps anyone who may have trouble in the future;

I had some issues with it at first, but I found a fix in the DSTT savegame_manager edit a couple pages or so back.

I have the original R4, I'm very sure of it - so I don't know why it refused to recognize savegame_manager.ini. After some playing around, I used http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?12405-A-tool-to-backup-HG-SS-saves&p=115386&viewfull=1#post115386 and it worked perfectly. Again, I have no clue why, but hey, why complain? :P It took about 40 minutes to back up both games, 20 mins each. I haven't tried restoring, but I'm sure it works fine.

Using a DSLite, HG/W U game, with an original R4DS, and 1.27 R4 Wood kernel.

Hopefully this provides some aid to another person in this situation.

Again, a thousand thanks. You have no idea how much you've helped me. (:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible, if you know how, to backup save files from Jam with the Band?

It seems to not be working with the current version.

Hi there. I'm having a bit of trouble though I think the problem is on my computer's side. I'm using Windows 7 (64-bit if it makes difference). I have smallFTP 1.0.3 and I am using the latest version of this homebrew. I have disabled Windows Firewall. I double checked to make sure the IP address in the INI and the one on my settings are the same. However, every time I try to connect to it, the farthest I get is a message saying "User Connecting..." on smallFTP and then it goes away. I know that smallFTP works though because I can connect to FTP from my phone. I have made a guest network on my router that is used specifically for this that is completely unsecured and connected my laptop to it. Any help?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm sure I could test it out on my own... But I don't want to mess with my AceKard 2i too much since I don't own my own 3DS and it's working fine on my DSi, where I want it.

Anyway, does this program work when used with the 3DS, or does the 3DS still treat Slot 1 like the DSi and makes it so the power is switched off on Slot 1 when you remove a game?

My girlfriend has my DS Lite that I used to use and I borrow on occasion, however, I wanted to know if using the 3DS would work, since my roommate owns one. Would make things much easier.

Hey,

I'm sure I could test it out on my own... But I don't want to mess with my AceKard 2i too much since I don't own my own 3DS and it's working fine on my DSi, where I want it.

Anyway, does this program work when used with the 3DS, or does the 3DS still treat Slot 1 like the DSi and makes it so the power is switched off on Slot 1 when you remove a game?

My girlfriend has my DS Lite that I used to use and I borrow on occasion, however, I wanted to know if using the 3DS would work, since my roommate owns one. Would make things much easier.

I haven't tried it (still believe that Nintendo may ban users from online content/the firmware itself if flashcarts are used), but I would be suprised if it didn't work just like the DSi.

• 2 weeks later...

It took longer than expected, but the next version is finally here. Version 0.3.0 RC1. This version is essentially feature complete, it does everything I know how to do. Unfortunately, all my attempts to get it working on the DSi have failed. DLP mode should have worked, but unfortunately, you can't run homebrew via DLP on the DSi, and no one bothered to update this method after the success of Flash Cards. Some other ideas also didn't work as expected, and now I am 99% sure that we will need a System Menu/Launcher-level exploit to get it working on the DSi (or the 3DS). Nintendo did indeed learn its lessons, pretty much everything that is not required by an official game/app is simply switched off.

But enough bad news, here is what is new in this version:

- Adds the ability to translate most parts of the user interface.

- Adds Slot 2 backup mode (you will need a Slot 2 flash card; anything that has a DLDI driver should be supported).

- Enables FTP restore mode for saves bigger than the memory buffer (usually 2 MB), it now uses multiple passes in this case.

- Various stability fixes, especially aimed for R4 clones.

- Adds a list of unsupported games to the instruction file. So far, these games are: Band Bros DX, WarioWare Inc ("big" saves, 8MB+), Pokemon Typing DS (Bluetooth device?)

If anybody figures out something new, wants to start his own fork or try something out, or knows how to access one of the few remaining unsupported games, I would say that the time to start doing these things has finally come. The code is sufficiently stable so that I will not refactor significant sections of the program in the forseable future. You can still expect bug fixes though, and I intend to collect translations and pack them in the official release at some time in the future.

Switching languages is as easy as adding a line to your ini file and copying an additional file to your folder. Adding a translation simply requires to take the template file included in the archive and translate the lines. I have commented the template quite heavily, so you should be able to see what the individual lines do. Unfortunately, I do not know if special, language-specific signs are available in the default font used by the program. German Umlaute (Ä,Ö,Ü) do not work, and I am afraid that other specific letters might be missing as well. Anyway, this should only be a small nuisance, so feel free to translate anyway. (If somebody knows how to use a custom font font, or maybe even how to add color in the test, please contact me.)