A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

Has anyone gotten it to work with a DSi and a Acekard 2i or a SuperCard DSTWO? Mine says that the save file is 0 kB (I think it's due to the issue with not being able to switch out games normally on the DSi and 3DS, like you can on the DS PHAT and DS Lite).

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It finally worked after trying for like an hour....

Did you do anything special to make it work? I'm having the same problem.

Edit: Got it working. Turns out if you put the retail cart in really slowly, it won't cause the DS to restart.

Edited by tdlop

Huh, I actually decided to stop being a whiny butt, and I read the thread and realized there was ALREADY a TTDS fix. Sorry for being a pest... Now I have a different problem though. It goes to the directory access part, and there it says that the File access failed. Then it searches for an unused file name, writes a new one, and then doesn't go beyond 0%.

I'm gonna assume this is something wrong with my FTP? I have all the ports right, and I took down the windows firewall... What is going on?

Huh, I actually decided to stop being a whiny butt, and I read the thread and realized there was ALREADY a TTDS fix. Sorry for being a pest... Now I have a different problem though. It goes to the directory access part, and there it says that the File access failed. Then it searches for an unused file name, writes a new one, and then doesn't go beyond 0%.

I'm gonna assume this is something wrong with my FTP? I have all the ports right, and I took down the windows firewall... What is going on?

your directories is messed up on your ftpd. where you told the file to go once its done is probably it. i have an in-depth tutorial about how to use and get the savegame_manager to work. its in the forums. also the youtube video is here.

just go to it. listen and do what i do. and it should fix your problems u having.

AAAHH YES

Bless you, man! Thanks so much, I was able to get it working thanks to you. Turns out my problem was that I didn't have the folder named savegame_manager. Thanks so much, for even bothering to make the tutorial. I'm gonna have some fun with this now!

AAAHH YES

Bless you, man! Thanks so much, I was able to get it working thanks to you. Turns out my problem was that I didn't have the folder named savegame_manager. Thanks so much, for even bothering to make the tutorial. I'm gonna have some fun with this now!

you are absolutely welcome. thats what i intend the video to be,lolol (help-full). now i just got to get people watching it and listening to the video. then people will have almost 90% of there problems solved with the home-brew.

Version 0.2.4 is out. This is a new snaphshot that primarily addresses an issue with dead 3in1 batteries, which causes the dump process not to continue after rebooting the DS. About 50% of the user interface has been reworked, and the ability to translate it will be coming soon. And there is now a Readme file, which gives instructions how to set up most things - even though it is not finished yet (no proofreading, some missing bits), it should be mostly usable. Several small things are yet to come (and I haven't found the time to look into some R4-related issues yet). Nevertheless, the current version should be stable on most flash cards. Switched from IZArc to TUGZip, which should fix slash-versus-backslash issues on Linux/Macintosh (according to my hex editor).

I like the video on Youtube, will definitely add a link in the readme file. Otherwise, I am quite swamped with work in the following weeks, but more updates will come - I definitely intend to finish that stable version 0.3.0, which will contain everything that is still missing (and for which a solution exists).

@Pokedoc Once you get the current version as best as it can be, do you have any plans on attempting to make it work with the DSi/3DS? I saw your post a few pages back where you said that it could be possible, but the binaries are encrypted. Anyway, great work, I wish I still had a old DS so I could actually use this tool :(

Typo in v 2.4 readme: in 1.2, obviois should be obvious.

[edit] as for the DLDI section, it is the "Games 'n Music" DLDI patch found "http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Datel_Games_%27n%27_Music_%28microSD%29" which seems to only work on non-SDHC cards (2GB max).

So can I use the ARDSi with SD Card slot to backup my HG?

Does the ARDSi offer a possibility to run homebrew code on it? If it does, do you have any information on how to access the SD Card slot?

Even if the ARDSi is only useful for injecting data into memory (also called: cheating), you could still write a program (in cheatcodes) that allows you to read from and write to the the EEPROM. If there's no connection to the PC, you'd have to copy it "by hand" from DS screen to PC HexEdit (or vice-versa). It'd be a lot of work (writing a program in cheatcodes) and a lot of work (copying 512K from screen to screen) but technically, this should work.

Of course, as pokedoc's tool is homebrew, the main requirement for it is a device to run homebrew from it. A cheatcoded Hexviewer/Writer seems far beyond the scope of it.

TCC

Does the ARDSi offer a possibility to run homebrew code on it? If it does, do you have any information on how to access the SD Card slot?

Even if the ARDSi is only useful for injecting data into memory (also called: cheating), you could still write a program (in cheatcodes) that allows you to read from and write to the the EEPROM. If there's no connection to the PC, you'd have to copy it "by hand" from DS screen to PC HexEdit (or vice-versa). It'd be a lot of work (writing a program in cheatcodes) and a lot of work (copying 512K from screen to screen) but technically, this should work.

Of course, as pokedoc's tool is homebrew, the main requirement for it is a device to run homebrew from it. A cheatcoded Hexviewer/Writer seems far beyond the scope of it.

TCC

the ardsi doesn't offer that functionality, nor does it actually run in dsi mode, unfortunately. it isn't possible for the device to run in dsi mode at all, actually. not to mention that the sd slot isn't accessible from slot-1.

for pokemon who ds or ds lite restart when u plug in pokemon black or white try agian but instead put it in slowly so the slot kinds of catches it which is when half of the cart is sticking out then wait a few seconds and push it in then it should stop restart

it keeping restarting when i shove it in

I personally think it is amazing that you have gotten it to work even if the 3in1's battery has run dry.

But is it supposed to work in Slot-2 mode with a EZ-Flash IV?

When I try it, it treats my EZ4 as a regular GBA game and backups the .sav file stored in SRAM.

I did find my 3in1 (I had lost it) yesterday, so it isn't really a problem for me.

Edited by Guest

I personally think it is amazing that you have gotten it to work even if the 3in1's battery has run dry.

But is it supposed to work in Slot-2 mode with a EZ-Flash IV?

When I try it, it treats my EZ4 as a regular GBA game and backups the .sav file stored in SRAM.

I did find my 3in1 (I had lost it) yesterday, so it isn't really a problem for me.

If you want to do this with slot-2 the solution posted in #232 http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?12405-A-tool-to-backup-HG-SS-saves&p=118038&viewfull=1#post118038 and DLDI patch it for your card.

Note that I have run this from a slot-1 card (Datatel Games-N-Music) and it will write to a slot-2 so it may not need to be run from slot-2 only.

Okay, it has been a busy time during the last weeks. I am just recovering from a (business) trip to the States, and getting past the jet-lag is not nice. And then I had to reset my password...

Anyway, here's the latest news. I have set up a project at google code hosting (http://code.google.com/p/savegame-manager/), where the tool will be hosted from now. So far, I have placed the source code of the previous versions in the SVN repository, with more to come in the next weeks. This has the advantage that everybody who wants to donate code, report bugs, etc. can (will be able to) use the more centralised facilities over there now (soon). I am also going to sift this thread for anything useful that has not found its way in the code yet, remove obsolete attachments and clean up in general. The latest version(s) of the program will still be available from the first post in this thread, though.

It will soon be possible to translate the program into your own native languages; I will publish instructions after I have finished everything. I'll do the German translation myself - it's my native language, and I can nicely use it to test everything. I have also started touching Slot 2 mode, but I wasn't able to launch NDS files from my EZFlash IV yet (flash cards keep complaining that it is not a supported device). And finally, I have started experimenting with what might become the first save backup tool working on the DSi - once I got everything worked out, you *might* be able to run the program as a download play game, very similar to the transfer machine in B/W. (Don't count on it, though. There is still a myriad of difficulties to overcome, including getting a download play server running at all.)

And finally, I had to change my archive tool again - seems like TUGZip quitely drops empty folders, which is not good if you compress a checked out SVN repository.