A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

Finally found the time to check the last few pages, and collect feedback for the latest version. It seems like there are two remaining major issues: 1) setting everything up correctly (which is not a bug in the program), and 2) various clones of popular cards that do not work as expected (especially R4 clones). Plus some minor glitches, such as the FTP connection still not working on some occasions.

Some answers to questions that pop up regularly (I may edit something in the first post): It does *not* work on the DSi/XL. I spent some time trying to figure out why, and it seems like the DSi cuts off the power to Slot1 after switching the cartridge. To restore power, one has to run the program in DSi mode, and even then, one has to figure out how precisely this works. It might be possible to reverse engineer this from the DSi System Menu, but unfortunately, the binaries are protected by an additional encryption. So, in a nutshell: it does not work on the DSi. It might be possible to get it working on the iEvolution, but no one knows how. DSi mode detection is already in the program mainly to warn people that it does not work. And the SD-slot is locked out as well (but this may not be the final word on this issue).

Almost the same can be said about the 3DS, but it is a little bit worse. The iEvolution does not work in DSi mode on the 3DS, so even if it did work on the DSi, it would still not work on the 3DS.

And finally, a small outlook what I am currently working on. First, an extensive Readme file that will give detailled instructions on how to set everything up. It will come in odt (editable)/pdf (easily readable) format, and is supposed to include screenshots, so that everything should be clear even if your English is weak. I am also intending to add a list of FTP servers that are verified to work (since the program only uses a very rudimentary FTP client - Google was not helpful in finding something better, other than "use your operating system/Firefox"). And finally, I intend to increase the verbosity of the program, making use of the lower screen to display longer, more useful texts. And actually, I have even started thinking about exporting all messages to an external ini file, so one can actually translate the program. (Plus an asortment of minor improvement, such as checking that your DS has enough power, and that your 3in1 battery has not run dry.)

The next update will most probably be the first usable version of the Readme file, and after this, my work order is still undecided.

@Morfeo, marc_max: Funny that you mention Slot2 support, I did buy an EZFlash IV some time ago, and now that most of the major issues are ruled out, I want to start working on these features as well.

@Balrog: I am getting increasingly angry with IZArc and its weird slashes as well (another, non-handheld project of mine also ran into this issue), but I have not found a suitable replacement yet.

@all: If you have issues with the "B" button, the program working once and then no longer, or something else, please post the specific Flash Card/Firmware you are using. It seems that various (R4) clones have more issues than expected. This should be useful for the Readme file.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you need to use the touch screen for this? I'm using a busted DS with a broken top half and a non-working touch screen and can't do anything except press B at the start. :< Some way to get around it would be appreciated...

Hello, and thank you for writing this tool.

Unfortunately, I am running into the same issue that a couple of other people are running into here. I can initiate the process, it connects to the access point, but then it cannot connect to my FTP server. I get the same "connectconnectconnect" message that the others are getting, followed by an "ERROR: FTP server missing" when it finally throws in the towel.

I am trying to get this up and running on an acekard2i, and I am fairly sure that everything seems fine on my end. I can view my wireless AP's connections page and see that the DSlite is correctly connecting to the AP, and being assigned an IP. I can also login to my FTP server from two other computers using the same credentials that I am putting in the save manager ini file. I am at a complete loss as to why the tool cannot connect to the FTP server.

Can anyone who has this up and running on an acekard2i let me know what FTP server they are using, and maybe post an exact copy of their ini file?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello, and thank you for writing this tool.

Unfortunately, I am running into the same issue that a couple of other people are running into here. I can initiate the process, it connects to the access point, but then it cannot connect to my FTP server. I get the same "connectconnectconnect" message that the others are getting, followed by an "ERROR: FTP server missing" when it finally throws in the towel.

I am trying to get this up and running on an acekard2i, and I am fairly sure that everything seems fine on my end. I can view my wireless AP's connections page and see that the DSlite is correctly connecting to the AP, and being assigned an IP. I can also login to my FTP server from two other computers using the same credentials that I am putting in the save manager ini file. I am at a complete loss as to why the tool cannot connect to the FTP server.

Can anyone who has this up and running on an acekard2i let me know what FTP server they are using, and maybe post an exact copy of their ini file?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

He did mention he used smallftpd (google it) to test it. I tried that server and it worked just fine for me.

I actually got my 3in1 (256M V2) back early and now I can't manage to back up my black save game (it worked on heart gold before and it won't work on that now either). After I tried backing up the the 3in1 it wrote just fine but when I reloaded the program it didn't detect that there was a save on my 3in1.

I've tried using multiple FTP servers. So far, I've tried:

smallFTP

3cdaemon

a macbook Pro with os x built in ftp server functionality enabled

With every one of those setups, I was able to connect to the FTP server from a different computer using the same credentials that I was specifying in save manager's ini, but unable to get save manager to connect. I am at a complete loss as to why I can't get this working.

I can also see that there are other posts here saying the same thing. There are even a couple where people are reporting that it was working before, but failing, with the same error message that I am getting, now. That is why I'm hoping that maybe some of those that have it working over wifi can shed any light on what I may be doing wrong.

I think the other thing that might be helpful would be if the author could patch the program to spit more verbose debug info out to the screen, or (better yet) to a file. This way, we would know more about what is going on. Also, now that I think about it, I might try to do a packet capture on the FTP server machine tonight, and see if the NDSlite running save manager is trying to contact it at all (I have yet to see anything in the FTP server logs, but maybe the packet capture will tell me more).

Anyhow, once again, thanks for any help you can provide.

I've tried using multiple FTP servers. So far, I've tried:

smallFTP

3cdaemon

a macbook Pro with os x built in ftp server functionality enabled

With every one of those setups, I was able to connect to the FTP server from a different computer using the same credentials that I was specifying in save manager's ini, but unable to get save manager to connect. I am at a complete loss as to why I can't get this working.

I can also see that there are other posts here saying the same thing. There are even a couple where people are reporting that it was working before, but failing, with the same error message that I am getting, now. That is why I'm hoping that maybe some of those that have it working over wifi can shed any light on what I may be doing wrong.

I think the other thing that might be helpful would be if the author could patch the program to spit more verbose debug info out to the screen, or (better yet) to a file. This way, we would know more about what is going on. Also, now that I think about it, I might try to do a packet capture on the FTP server machine tonight, and see if the NDSlite running save manager is trying to contact it at all (I have yet to see anything in the FTP server logs, but maybe the packet capture will tell me more).

Anyhow, once again, thanks for any help you can provide.

And you've double checked the .ini file and made sure you've updated the IPv4 to the current Local IP if it's changed? And how close are you to your router? Is it connecting to your AP and then not finding the FTP or just not connecting at all?

If it's connecting to your AP and solely failing to connect to the FTP then you may want to just reset all your settings in the FTP and redo them and then redo the .ini file to match the FTP settings once again. I've backed up and restored my save file many times but I've never had a problem with it connect to my FTP (smallftpd) only not wanting to connect to my AP on the first try.

Alright I'm back again since I haven't yet resorted to getting an NDSA+ just yet. Again used the latest update & the program just hangs up as before after pressing B. Also marc_max's slot-2 tool failed with some kind of "FAT file" error - I can't remember exactly what it said but I'll try again later & post it. Still using Datel's Max Media Dock & patched with the mmcf.dldi file. Details on the product can be found at us.codejunkies.com

EDIT: OK the error I got was after it identifies the cart as HG & comes up with some values, then prompts to press A to start the backup. It then gives me the error message "Initializing FAT... Failed!" & prompts to turn of the DS lite. Anything I can do to help figure out what's happening short of donating the actual hardware? It seems like everyone else is able to get slot-2 methods working except with the Max Media Dock. I'm too cheap at the moment to give up on it yet & invest in another slot-2/3-in-1 device.

I tried to use this program both with my HG and Black, but it just gets stuck when it tries to write the file.

It says Writing file:

FILENAME

!!!

[--------0%-------]

And nothing happens.

I'm using an Acekard 2i with the latest firmware, and smallftpd 1.0.3, anyone who can help?

EDIT: I got it to work, it was the firewall, thanks for an easy to use program! : D

Scratch that.

I cannot seem to back up anything with this. I'm using Pokemon White, and smallFTPD won't start half the time. It would be very nice to have a readme in the file so I can understand this. I need to back up my friend's save so I can add mine to the game without him loosing data. I can't seem to browse the computer to define a location to save the file, and if I go and select "New File" by cramming my L and R buttons ('cause they're broke), it sits at 0%. It will not do anything, even if I am right beside my AP. I'm using an AceKard 2, and smallftpd (latest version).

Where is the default save location? And what place do I put the file on my computer to copy the save/access my dumped save? And why does it sit at 0% constantly? It can connect to the FTP server just fine. Also, what are some other programs I can use besides smallftpd?

EDIT: Ok. Finally got it. I had to use an AceKard 2i. Acekard 2 refused to work. It works nicely, I hope to see an Acekard 2 update.

Edited by Team Fail

Confirmed working with read and write with Black, White and Soul Silver

Using:

Genuine Acekard 2i with AKAIO 1.8.6

DS Lite

Smallftpd 1.0.3

Thank you very much for this tool Pokedoc! I had been hearing rumors about people trading pokemon that would corrupt your save files, and didn't want to chance the GTS again without a way to back up the files.

EDIT:

Just noticed you have GBA backup support, so I tested it:

GBA read and write support confirmed working with Ruby and Fire Red.

I tried to use this program both with my HG and Black, but it just gets stuck when it tries to write the file.

It says Writing file:

FILENAME

!!!

[--------0%-------]

And nothing happens.

I'm using an Acekard 2i with the latest firmware, and smallftpd 1.0.3, anyone who can help?

EDIT: I got it to work, it was the firewall, thanks for an easy to use program! : D

I have the same exact problem. What did you do with your firewall to make it work?

Gah, I really need my save so I can start hacking my Pokemanz!

Do you plan on even adding support for other Flashcarts like TTDS, Pokedoc? If not I'll stop hoping for it, but as it is, I'm checking this thread every day hoping for answers...

Hey Pokedoc, had to register just so I could respond to your app.

First off, it works freaking EXCELLENT, once I got a decent FTP server running on my system. Great for checking IV's and backing up my saves.

Second, I've been using it for other games and it works very well; in case other people weren't aware.

Ever think of making a GUI for it? I roughed up an idea if you needed some source images:

lds-layout.png

Edit: I'd actually implement something like this myself, but I've yet to get the toolchain working to learn ds programming. :P

Edit 2: List of games I've tested:

• Pokemon Black (US) - Working
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World (US v.1.1) - Working

Edited by akoimeexx

I'm getting nowhere with this. can anyone help me?

I have a:

SuperCard DSTWO (Latest firmware) and a Acekard 2i (Akaio 1.8.6)

a 3DS and a DSi (Both on the latest software)

smallftpd 1.0.3 and Xlight FTP Server

I've quadruple checked the ini settings along with my ipv4 address and everything is correct. On my supercard, it stops working after I hit A after inserting my SoulSilver game, and on the Acekard, it picks up that there's a game, but it says:

Game ID:

Game name:

Game Save: Flash (0 KB)

Special:

So as you can see, it doesn't get the game id, name, and says the save is 0 kb. Do I need to patch the file or is my Acekard + 3DS/DSi combination not compatible with the software?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Edit: Also, I don't know anyone with a DS Phat or a DS Lite, so if this, for some reason, only works with those, I'm out of luck :(

Hmm... this works well with my HG game but when I swap the flashcart to my White game, the DS restarts!! :( I tried with an Acekard 2 with AKAIO 1.8.6a and M3 Real with latest Sakura. I'm using a DS Lite. Also I tried using different versions of the homebrew. Any help?

Edited by Rahxen

Hello,

I know I'm new here and may not seem very "qualified" to join into this discussion. Still I hope that my idea sounds plausible.

PokeDoc already released the source under GPLV2, marc_max forked a slot2-dldi-only-version and by browsing over this thread I also saw another patch (DSTT?).. so this already looks like an open-source-project.. So why not officially make it one?

There are too many nice NDS-homebrews that were published as a simple binary long ago, compiled against long-forgotten librarys and even if the binary itself can still be found, it sometimes just won't work with lots of hardware (hardcoded to a single slot2-solution, nds.gba,...). Even Rudolph's backup tools can occasionally be hard to find.

On 31st of march, this "project" was lost for a short time, too, as this site was switched to april fools. And I think that this tool is too important to be lost.. or hidden in a single forum thread.

I was thinking about creating a Google Code project, replaying the previous versions from pokedoc into the svn-repository, putting marc_max's fork back in,... When I saw the code, I already felt the urge to document (doxygen) a lot of it to understand more of it but I don't want to do that only for a local copy.. or interfere with PokeDocs coding process.. or do my own fork.

Issues could be reported in the project issue tracker (instead of being spread over "nineteen-and-running"-pages here), the wiki could provide more information on how the SPI-IR problem was solved and the starting page might be much easier to find...

Honestly: First, I had trouble finding out that this tool even exists. Then I knew it could be found somewhere but still had trouble finding it, again.. And then I had a link from somewhere else but it was japanese april fools, so I couldn't access it either.

I'd also like to suggest two changes:

* I've never gotten the original pokedoc-binary to work (only the slot2-dldi-one), so maybe this has already been done: As this tool imitates rudolphs behaviour and that gui is rather nice (selecting the file to backup to or restore from), I think it might be nice to make it look similar.

* I really respect the idea to have this tool as a "swiss army knife" but I see a real problem with the "auto-detection" for Slot2/3-in-1/DLDI/FTP. I guess that it fails to work on my hardware because some things are detected wrong and thus crash the program. Also, DLDI-support is wasted if you only want FTP whereas libwifi is not needed if you use slot2/dldi.

So I think tha like in rudolph's tools, Slot2/FTP/whateverelse should be seperate tools, but sharing common source, being compiled from mostly the same sourcefiles (apart from the DirList, Save and Load-functions different for different architectures) and also always being distributed in the same zipfile.

I've already contacted marc_max and he was okay with it. I'm still waiting for pokedoc's reply. I don't want to take anything away from them - it's still their program (and lots of thanks to pokedoc for cracking the savegame-knot), but I think that this is a tool (not only for pokemon) well worth taking more "global".

What do you think? Is it a foolish idea or could it attract more developers?

TCC

PS: English is not my native language so excuse me if some things are "strange"

PPS: Some "proof" I have done DS-coding, before:

http://tccphreak.shiny-clique.net/pokreaderds/_index.htm (sorry, german page, but the tool is english)

It won't work with DSi. The IR-problem kept me from implementing Johto or Unova. If OpenDSSavegameTool (or whatever name is chosen) goes online, I'd like to import the Savegame-reading from there.. - or even better: make "Pokemon Browsing" another target next do FTP and DLDI.

Hmm... this works well with my HG game but when I swap the flashcart to my White game, the DS restarts!! :( I tried with an Acekard 2 with AKAIO 1.8.6a and M3 Real with latest Sakura. I'm using a DS Lite. Also I tried using different versions of the homebrew. Any help?

Anyone? :S

Have you check your ds and your flash cart settings? becuase i use akaio 1.8.6 firmware with my ds clone and it works. i also have a in depth tutorial on how to use the savegame_manageer.

Yeah, everything is fine. I can backup and restore my HeartGold game, but in White the DS restarts when I put in the game. :S