A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

I guess I don't have luck with Pokedoc's application :( I tried several routers and configurations, and it was impossible for me to get a valid save.

Tired of doing so many tests, I decided to code an special version for SLOT-2 carts (that doesn't require Wi-Fi, of course). I already tested it, and it made a valid backup of my HG save (it's a valid save, it worked perfectly on an emulator).

Is anyone interested on it?

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I don't have luck with Pokedoc's application :( I tried several routers and configurations, and it was impossible for me to get a valid save.

Tired of doing so many tests, I decided to code an special version for SLOT-2 carts (that doesn't require Wi-Fi, of course). I already tested it, and it made a valid backup of my HG save (it's a valid save, it worked perfectly on an emulator).

Yep, I'd be interested! My Slot-2 device is an ancient M3 micro though, I dunno if it'll work.

I would be. Have a SupercardSD and EZflash IV could test it on for you.

I'm not really good at this kind of thing, can someone help me. I'm trying to back up pokemon white using wifi. the only thing i know to do is to put the files on my micro SD. I'm using a M3i Zero. i get as far as trying to connect to the ftp, but that isn't something that I'm familiar with. Can anyone help?

Yep, I'd be interested! My Slot-2 device is an ancient M3 micro though, I dunno if it'll work.
I would be. Have a SupercardSD and EZflash IV could test it on for you.

I have been cleaning the code, doing a very very little GUI and fixing some errors aswell. Oh, and I also added the restore savegame function too! Worked perfectly for my HG, but I hope someone can confirm that it works for B/W.

Let me prepare a small readme file and I'll post it here.

hirosama, it should work for you too. I have an ancient G6 Lite and worked perfectly!

Quick question. Do you have to run this from the Slot-2 cart booted into NDS mode or do you run it from a SLot-1 card?
You can boot SLOT-2 from SLOT-1 if you want. But the application must be ran from SLOT-2, because saves are read/written from there.

Here you have my SLOT-2 solution (mostly based on Pokedoc's code):

NDS-SAVES to SLOT-2 v0.4

Hey, I just tested this on the M3 micro, patched with alternate M3 DLDI from the site you linked. It worked perfectly with my Japanese White both backup and restore! This will make it much easier to put in WonderCards for my HG/SS carts too, I've been manually editing Mystery Gift Editor generated AR code in the past since I couldn't back up the save data.

Thanks so much!

Hey, Im new and am trying to get my pokemon white save transferred. I have a ds lite and dsi and am using the supercard dsone1 to do this program. Do I need to change the 192.168.123.1 ip address of the .ini file before it goes onto the ds? if there an easier way than the wifi method (didnt know if the dsi sd card slot could be used)

[english]

Marc_max thank you very much for this homebrew to backup NDS saves with support for HG, SS, B, W to Flash Cards Slot 2.

I used these flash cards from before I bought my 1st NDS, and have always been very good tools for such applications because they do not need to use Wi-Fi or expansions 3in1, so I settled in his time very well NDS_Backup_Tool_Slot2 of Rudolph, but as ever update for compatibility with HG, SS, B, W I had to buy the NDS Adaptor Plus.

Now I can use a similar tool directly from my SuperCard MiniSD and SuperCard Lite MicroSD.

I also take the opportunity here to ask you if it is possible that future updates can add some details that have the NDS_Backup_Tool_Slot2, as far as I tested, you can make homebrew backup save only 1 at a time, here I would ask that as Rudolph, could choose to create a new save or overwrite, if you are a new save will add the ending "Pokemon HG_00.sav" _01.sav, _02.sav, etc.

And other data would be the ability to view different files. sav that exist in the memory card.

I know this is delas first version of your program, but being able to work with HG, SS, B, W in slot 2 flash cards for me Penza has very good future. So I congratulate you and hope you can make in the future these and other improvements to make it even more versatile.

PS: sorry for my bad English but use a translator

[spanish] (espero que hables español)

Muchas gracias marc_max por este homebrew para respaldar saves de NDS con la compatibilidad de HG,SS,B,W para Flash Cards de Slot 2.

Yo he usado estas flash cards desde antes de comprar mi 1er NDS, y siempre han sido muy buenas herramientas para este tipo de usos, ya que no necesita usar Wi-Fi o expanciones 3in1, por lo que me acomodaba en su tiempo muy bien el NDS_Backup_Tool_Slot2 de Rudolph, pero como jamas actualizo para compatibilidad con HG,SS,B,W tube que comprar el NDS Adaptor Plus.

Ahora ya puedo usar una herramienta similar directamente desde mi Supercard MiniSD y Supercard Lite MicroSD.

Tambien quiero aprobechar para pedirte que si es posible que en actualizaciones futuras puedas añadir algunos detalles que tiene el NDS_Backup_Tool_Slot2, ya que hasta donde he probado, tú homebrew permite hacer el respaldo de 1 solo save a la vez, aqui yo pediria que como Rudolph, se pudiera elegir entre crear un nuevo save o sobreescribir, si si es un nuevo save le agrege la terminacion "Pokemon HG_00.sav", _01.sav, _02.sav, etc.

Y otro dato seria la posibilidad de visualizar los diferentes archivos .sav que existen en la tarjeta de memoria.

Yo se que esta es delas primeras versiones de tú programa, pero el hecho de poder trabajar con HG,SS,B,W en flash cards de slot 2 me hace penzar que tiene muy buen futuro. Asi que te felicito y espero puedas en un futuro hacerle estas y otras mejoras para que sea aun más versatil.

[english]

Marc_max thank you very much for this homebrew to backup NDS saves with support for HG, SS, B, W to Flash Cards Slot 2.

I used these flash cards from before I bought my 1st NDS, and have always been very good tools for such applications because they do not need to use Wi-Fi or expansions 3in1, so I settled in his time very well NDS_Backup_Tool_Slot2 of Rudolph, but as ever update for compatibility with HG, SS, B, W I had to buy the NDS Adaptor Plus.

Now I can use a similar tool directly from my SuperCard MiniSD and SuperCard Lite MicroSD.

I also take the opportunity here to ask you if it is possible that future updates can add some details that have the NDS_Backup_Tool_Slot2, as far as I tested, you can make homebrew backup save only 1 at a time, here I would ask that as Rudolph, could choose to create a new save or overwrite, if you are a new save will add the ending "Pokemon HG_00.sav" _01.sav, _02.sav, etc.

And other data would be the ability to view different files. sav that exist in the memory card.

I know this is delas first version of your program, but being able to work with HG, SS, B, W in slot 2 flash cards for me Penza has very good future. So I congratulate you and hope you can make in the future these and other improvements to make it even more versatile.

PS: sorry for my bad English but use a translator

Oh my god, you use a translator?

It looks like it's an extremely good translator, IMO.

@Pokedoc:

Can you use something other than IZArc to zip the archive? It messes up paths, using \ instead of / as the separator, completely screwing things up in Linux and Mac OS X.

Thanks! Keep up the good work!

I'm spanish, of course, but I don't think this is the place to speak spanish ;) So I'll answer in english.

Currently I'm very busy and I have no plans on updating this tool to allow you select the file to save/restore. I coded it because I needed urgently to restore my save to a retail cart.

However, the sourcecode is available so anyone can update it.

Hello,

I wanted to dump save game from Pokemon SoulSilver and maybe Black if possible (retail copies).

I tried to use this tool, however I can't get pass title screen on my DSLite (with R4-SDHC).

I get that message "Press (B) to continue" but nothing happens when I press B or any other button.

Other tools like "NDS Backup Tool Wifi" or "SaveSender" seems to work fine on my R4-SDHC but they does not support pokemon saves.

Please help!

Well, hello again :D

I got a little problem with this tool, which I cant realize why thats happening.

First: I am using 3-in-1 method

I can easily put my save from rom to the retail cartridge without problems.

My problem is: I cant backup my save from retail.

When I use the first option (Game -> .sav) it formats the Nor, and write the savegame to the ez flash.

It says "Please restart this tool"

When I restart, it should ask me to copy the save to the flashcard, but it doesn't. Instead, it gets me to the same menu.

Somehow, it was working before, but only worked once.

I am using supercard dstwo, with the lastest firmware. Applied the DLDI patch and my microSD has a capacity of 1gb.

@ChrisPL Are you using a 4gb microSD? Try to use a smaller one.

Hello,

I wanted to dump save game from Pokemon SoulSilver and maybe Black if possible (retail copies).

I tried to use this tool, however I can't get pass title screen on my DSLite (with R4-SDHC).

I get that message "Press (B) to continue" but nothing happens when I press B or any other button.

Other tools like "NDS Backup Tool Wifi" or "SaveSender" seems to work fine on my R4-SDHC but they does not support pokemon saves.

Please help!

I'm not sure but for R4 carts I think you need to have Wood as your firmware. That's how I make it work on my R4 (Although my R4 is a clone and I'm using a Wood R4 Clone FW)

I'm not sure but for R4 carts I think you need to have Wood as your firmware. That's how I make it work on my R4 (Although my R4 is a clone and I'm using a Wood R4 Clone FW)

Unfortunately I can't get Wood work on my R4-SDHC (a clone of R4) properly. No game/homebrew loads. I tried different versions of Wood.

Therefore I ask for more assistance.

Edited by ChrisPL

Using version 0.2.3 on my EZ-Flash V attempting WiFi->FTP mode.

No matter what server I choose (local one I set up or one on my website) it just keeps saying "connectconnectconnectconnect" until I finally get an error saying "ERROR: FTP server missing". Whenever I try to connect to either my local account or the account on my server it works just fine on my PC. 3in1 mode was working on my AK2i though I won't have either of those back for over a week. It's not a huge deal if this can't get figured out but I would like to make a backup of my pokemon black save file ASAP and I wouldn't mind being able to back up with my 3DS so I don't have to dig out my DSL and 3in1 just to make a save backup.

You may want to try this if your R4 is a "true R4 clone"

Unfortunately this doesn't work either. There's notice at the bottom of first post that it DOESN'T work for R4 SDHC. Maybe because of new firmware version?

BTW I am using TTMenu recommended for SDHC, but save_manager behaves exactly the same on original R4-SDHC and this TTMenu. That is I can't get through title screen with "press (B) button". B button or any other doesn't seem to work.

Anybody can help me solve this issue?