A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

is this the program I need to backup my save files from my retail cartridges of white/Soulsilver?

thanks

edit: also what do I do with the files inside? is the .nds file the one that needs to be used? I don't know what to do with it and I haven't found a guide yet that explains how to use these things.

.nds is the rom itself (for use with non-retail cards like R4, Acekard, etc) and .sav should be the save files. This tool works with all DS games that I've tested (including those that use the newer IR cart like HGSS/BW, which this was specifically made for). This tool does not export .nds (rom) files to my knowledge, it is only for saves. The .sav should be compatible with Acekard for sure, and I believe most cards use similar files. I only speak for the Acekard 2i because it's the only one I own myself.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.nds is the rom itself (for use with non-retail cards like R4, Acekard, etc) and .sav should be the save files. This tool works with all DS games that I've tested (including those that use the newer IR cart like HGSS/BW, which this was specifically made for). This tool does not export .nds (rom) files to my knowledge, it is only for saves. The .sav should be compatible with Acekard for sure, and I believe most cards use similar files. I only speak for the Acekard 2i because it's the only one I own myself.

Well I ordered a DsTwo so I really don't know how to start off lol.

Could you possibly link me to a good step by step guide that can get me through the save file transferring from DS to PC? I think I read that there is a way to transfer it via wifi?

Or could you give me a step by step guide on how to dump the save?

alright, still having problems getting my saves to back up. I know it's not a problem with the connection because i use NDS backup tool wifi to back up all my other games and saves via FTP.

I use a DStwo Supercard with firmware 1.08 and engine 1.10

using version 0.2.3 of this backup tool

i only have the .nds and .ini file in my root

i can connect to the AP but when it gets to connecting to the FTP it will fail, and eventually start repeating the word connect for 3 minutes before saying there is no FTP server.

alright, still having problems getting my saves to back up. I know it's not a problem with the connection because i use NDS backup tool wifi to back up all my other games and saves via FTP.

I use a DStwo Supercard with firmware 1.08 and engine 1.10

using version 0.2.3 of this backup tool

i only have the .nds and .ini file in my root

i can connect to the AP but when it gets to connecting to the FTP it will fail, and eventually start repeating the word connect for 3 minutes before saying there is no FTP server.

You probably overlooked something in the FTP settings and you may need to change the Local IP address since it changes alot and you'll need to change it in the .ini file as well.

I'm having a problem with just one game. I've backed up saves from every one of my NDS games, including my Pokemon White version. I've made the desired changes to the save and now I want to restore it to the card, except when I change cards between my DSTWO and the retail card, the savemanager crashes, and the Nintendo loads the game.

EDIT: I just got it to write to the game, except I'm still curious as to why it wouldn't before. I guess I just have to keep trying until it works from now on.

i can not get this to work i can open up the tool on my dsi and it says back up so i click it and put the pokemon white cart in and press a and nothing happens i think im having trouble with the ftp can some one help

It only works on DSLites and phats apparently. I have to borrow my fiance's DS to do it. It has something to do with the way the DSi hardware deals with a change in the cart, it's not something the scope of this program is supposed to be capable of changing.

You probably overlooked something in the FTP settings and you may need to change the Local IP address since it changes alot and you'll need to change it in the .ini file as well.

i run ipconfig before i try this everytime and my pc's local address hasn't changed yet 192.168.254.109

I also make sure that the username and password are correct for all the FTP servers i try using (test/test on 8080)

so far i've tried small FTP, filezilla, and xlite.

Trying to restore my Europe White save to my US White game, but I can't even try because as soon as I try switching the US cart in the DS reboots (which doesn't happen with the European game or SS). This is on a DSL with no Slot 2 cart (Acekard 2i). It doesn't reset on my DSi but this tool doesn't work on that...

EDIT: It's a bit odd, but for some reason after starting a new game and going through all the trouble to move my pokemon over to the new game, I was able to insert the game for backup/restores without the DS resetting. *eyeroll*

Ah well, I wasn't that far on my other saves anyways :D

how far did u have to go in the game before u could back it up

Hey I had to take the time to register for this site, on dial up, to say THANK YOU!!!!!

After I got white and playing it with some buddies for a week, i was disgruntled to come home and find that I couldn't back up my save with my rom to put on my flashkart, which made me sad since I liked the convienceness of flashcarts, all your games in one place. However while looking for a different backup loader that was mentioned that was slightly better for backups then rudolphs wifi loader, I stumbled upon this.

Thanks again! :)

i read all the post and i dont get how people backup their black and white save caus eit keeps restarting when i do it can someone help me

Are you using a DSi? This program can't work with a DSi period. Otherwise it should work. You can backup your save as soon as you can save in your game. I backed up my White save before I even got my Starter Pokemon while standing in front of the present box.

Can anybody give me some advice, I've tried everything and I cannot get this program to work.

I always get the error "ERROR: AP not found"

I can't figure out what is causing this or how to get around it, I've followed the instructions to set up the smallftpd server and edited the ini file to match.

Why don't you just back-up your own Soul Silver save?

Anyways, third to also say it's works 100% backing up and restoring save files for US Pokemon Black and White. Already backed up and restored each about 3 times even after editing save files still no problem restoring. Acekard 2i with latest AKAIO. :D

Sweet, sweet verification. Thank you :) My Acekard 2i should be at my door soon.

Can anybody give me some advice, I've tried everything and I cannot get this program to work.

I always get the error "ERROR: AP not found"

I can't figure out what is causing this or how to get around it, I've followed the instructions to set up the smallftpd server and edited the ini file to match.

How close are you to your Router. You need to be at least in the same room as it when doing this. It's gets really glitchy when you're farther from your router. The closest (like a ft. away) you can get the better chance you'll have unless it's something else. Also make sure to check that your Local IP hasn't changed when you attempt it. My Local IP tends to change every time I go to do it so I have to change it.

Are you using a DSi? This program can't work with a DSi period. Otherwise it should work. You can backup your save as soon as you can save in your game. I backed up my White save before I even got my Starter Pokemon while standing in front of the present box.

i own a ds lite

2 flash carts

r4ds running wood 1.26

dstt running wood 1.25

IT KEEPS RESTARING THE DS

i own a ds lite

2 flash carts

r4ds running wood 1.26

dstt running wood 1.25

IT KEEPS RESTARING THE DS

It was doing this to me as well, I have no idea what made it stop but I was at least 5 hours into a new game before it finally stopped resetting the system. Now it works every time.

Hi everyone,

First, thanks for this program but it doesn't function with me.

I use a supercard DSONE (no SDHC) with last firmware.

When I launch the software without DLDI patch, It launches but after pressed B, nothing happens

With DLDI patch, when I press B, the text doesn't disappear.

When I start with moonshell, it can't read the .ini File

I use Smallftpd for create a FTP server.

The problem is on the FTP server, or on wi-fi settings. But on "ftp_ip" I entered the IP address of the ipconfig (cmd)

Please help

Matias49

PS : Sorry for my English, I'm French

Alright, I do not want to screw up my pokemon save- So I'll ask my questions now.

I have backed up my save to my PC using WoodR4- I just see no files in the directory. I modified my pokemon white save with PokeSav, and I want to put it back into my legit Pokemon white.

When I go to restore, I see no files- and due to that, I cannot restore. Can you provide any help?

Alright, I do not want to screw up my pokemon save- So I'll ask my questions now.

I have backed up my save to my PC using WoodR4- I just see no files in the directory. I modified my pokemon white save with PokeSav, and I want to put it back into my legit Pokemon white.

When I go to restore, I see no files- and due to that, I cannot restore. Can you provide any help?

Put the .sav file on your Desktop. You can't restore you save file if it's in a Folder somewhere since it doesn't know where it is. Once you place it on your Desktop you should see the file name immediately after you hit Restore and it ask you which file to Restore.