A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

Hi, I'm getting that same error most people are getting. I am getting to the screen that says:

DS savegame manager

Version 0.2.3 Beta

By Pokedoc

Press (B) to continue

and nothing happens.

I am using a R4 Revolution for DS, on a DS lite.

Ahh nevermind, I got it working now. for the R4 you have to update to the R4 Wood kernel (the manfacturer's kernel 1.18 doesnt work).

I can confirm I am able to extract the SAV file as a backup, and was also able to re-write it on to the retail cartridge of Pokemon White (US version), using your program and a R4 with the Wood Kernel. Thanks Pokedoc! Your program is awesome!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still havent been able to find a save for SoulSilver yet. If someone could please upload one I would greatly appreciate it.

Why don't you just back-up your own Soul Silver save?

Anyways, third to also say it's works 100% backing up and restoring save files for US Pokemon Black and White. Already backed up and restored each about 3 times even after editing save files still no problem restoring. Acekard 2i with latest AKAIO. :D

Ahh nevermind, I got it working now. for the R4 you have to update to the R4 Wood kernel (the manfacturer's kernel 1.18 doesnt work).

I can confirm I am able to extract the SAV file as a backup, and was also able to re-write it on to the retail cartridge of Pokemon White (US version), using your program and a R4 with the Wood Kernel. Thanks Pokedoc! Your program is awesome!

Wow, it does even run on the aging R4. I wonder why the DSTT isn't supported...

I would just like to say that it finally worked for me (for my R4 clone based on R4 without wood. Lol) What I did is get this NDS file and load it up in the menu and then my card's firmware worked as if it were on a wood kernel. Then I booted up savegame manager .2.3 and it finally worked! Lol. I just backed up my HG save in one try and I'm hopeful that I'd be able to do the same when I get my Black & White copies. Thanks so much for your brilliant work Pokedoc. Cheers! :D

Edited by teetertweets

I would just like to say that it finally worked for me (for my R4 clone without wood. Lol)

I would like to add that this is only for R4 clones based on R4.

...Yes, it sounds redundant, but actually lots of R4 clones are based on the DSTT (like mine, which says R4i Upgrade Revolution but is actually a DSTT). Nevertheless, I'm trying it as I post.

As I expected, none of them work.

The easiest way to figure if a card is a R4 clone or a DSTT clone, is the loading screen. When you boot off the flashcart, if in the upper screen you see a picture of a microSD with a happy face, it's a DSTT. Otherwise, it isn't.

If it wasn't because my friend is returning my NDS Adapter Plus tomorrow, I would've gone and order a better flashcart online.

Trying to restore my Europe White save to my US White game, but I can't even try because as soon as I try switching the US cart in the DS reboots (which doesn't happen with the European game or SS). This is on a DSL with no Slot 2 cart (Acekard 2i). It doesn't reset on my DSi but this tool doesn't work on that...

EDIT: It's a bit odd, but for some reason after starting a new game and going through all the trouble to move my pokemon over to the new game, I was able to insert the game for backup/restores without the DS resetting. *eyeroll*

Ah well, I wasn't that far on my other saves anyways :D

Edited by JaiaV

Why don't you just back-up your own Soul Silver save?

I would but when I first backed up my save it was corrupted and I didnt know it was corrupted until I had restored it and once I restored it my save was gone.

The problem for DSi(XL) lies in the fact that game carts can't be swapped while the DSi is running. DS Phat and Lite allow this. This is not something the/a program running on a DSi(XL) can change.

EDIT: All of the above is "IIRC".

Unfortuantly, I can confirm this, I used a DSi and it failed, I used a DS Old/Thick/Fat (or what ever =P) and it worked..... (Sorry DSi (XL) users.)

I would like to add that this is only for R4 clones based on R4.

...Yes, it sounds redundant, but actually lots of R4 clones are based on the DSTT (like mine, which says R4i Upgrade Revolution but is actually a DSTT). Nevertheless, I'm trying it as I post.

As I expected, none of them work.

The easiest way to figure if a card is a R4 clone or a DSTT clone, is the loading screen. When you boot off the flashcart, if in the upper screen you see a picture of a microSD with a happy face, it's a DSTT. Otherwise, it isn't.

If it wasn't because my friend is returning my NDS Adapter Plus tomorrow, I would've gone and order a better flashcart online.

I don't see that, & when I use Wood For Clones it has no text. This is my Flash Cart: http://r4ids.com

I don't see that, & when I use Wood For Clones it has no text. This is my Flash Cart: http://r4ids.com

It might be a clone of something else. Weird.

EDIT: It might be an Acekard clone. In the downloads section there's a "download AKAIO for 2.0", and AKAIO is the firmware Acekards use. An user a page back reported it was working with an Acekard, so MAYBE if you download the official AKAIO off somewhere (such as filetrip.net) it could work.

Maybe. Just guessing.

I managed to get this working on my DSTT.

In main.cpp, around line 280, you try and get the location the app is running from from argv[0], which appears to be null on DSTT.

I commented out:

strncpy(bootdir, argv[0], len);

and added after it:

bootdir[0] = '/';

bootdir[1] = '\0';

Compiled, and runs fine for me now. The .ini has to stay in the root of the drive.

Attached is my modified version, and the modified source is there too. Hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes by sharing it.

savegame_manager_0.2.3_dstt.zip

savegame_manager_0.2.3_dstt.zip

It might be a clone of something else. Weird.

EDIT: It might be an Acekard clone. In the downloads section there's a "download AKAIO for 2.0", and AKAIO is the firmware Acekards use. An user a page back reported it was working with an Acekard, so MAYBE if you download the official AKAIO off somewhere (such as filetrip.net) it could work.

Maybe. Just guessing.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nope, incompatible with the official Acekard firmware...

EDIT 2: The downloads section also seems to mention YSMenu...

Can confirm this works with Pokemon Black and White and an Acekard 2i with AKAIO 1.8.5a. It did not work the first several hours until after I had already played for quite a while, however, as each time I would replace the cart when prompted with white the DS would automatically restart. It works great now though :D (highly doubt the restarts had anything to do with software were totally hardware as it was slightly before the cart was fully plugged in, when you could hear the little click right before the cart seats). No idea why it stopped, but I'm not complaining.

I managed to get this working on my DSTT.

In main.cpp, around line 280, you try and get the location the app is running from from argv[0], which appears to be null on DSTT.

I commented out:

strncpy(bootdir, argv[0], len);

and added after it:

bootdir[0] = '/';

bootdir[1] = '\0';

Compiled, and runs fine for me now. The .ini has to stay in the root of the drive.

Attached is my modified version, and the modified source is there too. Hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes by sharing it.

Yes, it does work.

...Well, at least it does show the restore/save/reset screens, but I can't test it out since for whatever reason I can't connect to this network with my DS (and I'm stuck here for a week and a half). Good job! All DSTT owners will thank you.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nope, incompatible with the official Acekard firmware...

EDIT 2: The downloads section also seems to mention YSMenu...

YSMenu is compatible with DSTT and R4 and M3 (I think)... Yet you don't see this screen while you boot up your cart? http://i34.tinypic.com/k30m06.jpg

Either way, use vagonhawk's version and see if it works. It might be an obscure clone...

EDIT: Researching a bit more, it seems like either a legit R4 or a R4 clone based on R4. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=51345 says you might need a program called r4crypt to encrypt the app. Try it.

Can confirm this works with Pokemon Black and White and an Acekard 2i with AKAIO 1.8.5a. It did not work the first several hours until after I had already played for quite a while, however, as each time I would replace the cart when prompted with white the DS would automatically restart. It works great now though :D (highly doubt the restarts had anything to do with software were totally hardware as it was slightly before the cart was fully plugged in, when you could hear the little click right before the cart seats). No idea why it stopped, but I'm not complaining.

I tried it out on... I think Sunday? I tested only with my copy of Black (US version), though. I don't have White yet. It worked for me the first time I tried, though.

I seem not to be able to get the FTP mode to work.

I set up SmallFTP by following the instructions on GBATemp and put the right setting in the .ini file.

However, it gets stuck on "Connecting to AP"

Am I supposed to put the .ini on root?

I seem not to be able to get the FTP mode to work.

I set up SmallFTP by following the instructions on GBATemp and put the right setting in the .ini file.

However, it gets stuck on "Connecting to AP"

Am I supposed to put the .ini on root?

Yeah just put the .ini and .nds into the root to ensure it works and get closer to your router as well. It tends to start messing up the farther you are from it so it's best just to get close to it while you're backing up your save.

Yes, it does work.

...Well, at least it does show the restore/save/reset screens, but I can't test it out since for whatever reason I can't connect to this network with my DS (and I'm stuck here for a week and a half). Good job! All DSTT owners will thank you.

YSMenu is compatible with DSTT and R4 and M3 (I think)... Yet you don't see this screen while you boot up your cart? http://i34.tinypic.com/k30m06.jpg

Either way, use vagonhawk's version and see if it works. It might be an obscure clone...

EDIT: Researching a bit more, it seems like either a legit R4 or a R4 clone based on R4. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=51345 says you might need a program called r4crypt to encrypt the app. Try it.

1. I don't see that when I boot up the cart. 2. Vagonhawk's version does not work. 3. I'll try it! 4. Thank you!

-PM260

Hello!

It's been some time, I just came once again to confirm that the latest savegame_manager worked flawlessly (both backing up AND restoring) on my retail Pokémon Black cart using the 3in1 mode.

However, I got an error whilst restoring (or so I thought because it actually restored my save) it stopped at 93% for some reason, so you may want to look into that.

That's pretty much it!

Bye!

is this the program I need to backup my save files from my retail cartridges of white/Soulsilver?

thanks

edit: also what do I do with the files inside? is the .nds file the one that needs to be used? I don't know what to do with it and I haven't found a guide yet that explains how to use these things.