A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

I put wood r4 on my R4, and I still get stuck at the start screen for pressing B. How did you get it to back up your save? That's all I need to be able to do for now.

i didn't do anything special just used wood r4 instead of normal one and it perfectly backups saves ;)

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have tested it on Black or White? Either EUR or JAP version?

Not sure. I think sabocan and Pingoiun7 have gotten it to backup but not restore if I read their posts right. Otherwise I wouldn't know. We'll probably know on Friday when it's released in Europe. If not I'll be testing the Wfi method on Sunday when I get my english copy.

I tried DLDI Patch(r4tf), and I cannot get the savegame_manager.nds to work, when I load it in with my R4 sdhc it comes to its startup screen that says press B, I do, and then the bottom screen is blank and the top screen is stuck, it only shows the program name, version number, and author.

and I did use the DLDI file. (I'm using smallftpd, NDS Lite, and I don't have ez3in1...)

I really wish I would find more free time to post/update more often, but Real Life keeps eating my nerves (full-time job, spending hours in traffic jams, having to support two residences... a day sometimes does not have enough hours). Anyway, here is the next release, mainly bugfixes. (At least I could reproduce *these* bugs reliably.) This re-fixes 3in1 backup mode (forgot to update one line in the last version, so it worked exactly once; tested once on both of my 3in1s, so I didn't catch it earlier... :mad:). It also improves WiFi connectivity. After trying everything, debugging other peoples source code, I found that a "brute force" way actually works. (For those who care: I read from/write to the FTP server in packets of 512 bytes, and sometimes, not all of these bytes "make it". Since I could find no documentation on how to proceed in this case, I did go the "safe" way and just stopped everything. I could still not find any information, but after much experimenting, I found out I could simply retry until I got all data. In the new version, the screen will display "!!!" in the bottom left corner if such interruptions emerge - a remnant of my own debugging sessions.)

Today, I got my European (German) Black/White games, and I can verify that they work with the tool, IR device is detected and addressed correctly and everything works (if you don't happen to run into a new bug).

Oh yeah, before I forget: this thread is getting a bit difficult to oversee, could you repost any issues that you may experience with the latest version (0.2.3, attached to the first post)? I am currently working to stabilize my tool, i.e. to release the first non-beta version.

Amazing! Now it is working! First try with 0.2.3 didn't work, it said:

POKEMON W.0.savconnect

!!!

0%

And I tried again! And waaahhhmm, I started at 0% and it went all up to 100% perfectly!

Except it's not working on my DSi, but it is working on my old DS!

So great job!

(Specs:

Old DS, the fat one.

AceKard 2i (patched, it looks like Danny Phantom on my DSi)

this software, version 0.2.3

smallftpd.

Thanks you 1000000 times! As I'm very happy now!! As the sav is running perfectly on my emulator! (As a test)

New version still doesnt work on R4sdhc, doesnt work in waio 1.15 repack beta 2 doesnt ever load, doesnt work in r4sdhc firmware 1.26 just shows screen with press b, nothing happens. Does not work in ysmenu 6.52 doesnt load at all.

Would love to use this program but it just doesnt seem to work on this card series at all.

Has anyone had any luck with an r4 clone of any type?

Just to be sure, as this isn't stated explicitely in the first post but implied later in the thread, is there really no way to make this tool work with a DSi or DSi XL? Also what is the exact reason for this limitation and what needs to be changed in the source code to try to make it compatible?

Just to be sure, as this isn't stated explicitely in the first post but implied later in the thread, is there really no way to make this tool work with a DSi or DSi XL? Also what is the exact reason for this limitation and what needs to be changed in the source code to try to make it compatible?

The problem for DSi(XL) lies in the fact that game carts can't be swapped while the DSi is running. DS Phat and Lite allow this. This is not something the/a program running on a DSi(XL) can change.

EDIT: All of the above is "IIRC".

The 3 in 1 restore feature still doesnt work for me, I'm on the 256 v1.

And would anyone mind uploading their save cause I dumped mine with the 3in1 and it corrupted my save and now I cant restore because of the corruption. Not to be picky but I'd prefer the save not have beaten all 16 gyms yet or if it has-be only just after beating the 16th gym.

The 3 in 1 restore feature still doesnt work for me, I'm on the 256 v1.

And would anyone mind uploading their save cause I dumped mine with the 3in1 and it corrupted my save and now I cant restore because of the corruption. Not to be picky but I'd prefer the save not have beaten all 16 gyms yet or if it has-be only just after beating the 16th gym.

What flashcard are you using? How exactly did it fail?

If the restore feature is all that doesn't work for you why do you need a new save file? The file you got from the original dump should be fine. You can always play it on your flashcard.

I start the savegame tool

It says me to press B

I press B

I press B

I press B,B,B,B,BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB with this face ==> @_O and then this face >_______________________<

Nothing...

I throw my DS

I destroy my house

I burn my village

I transform into super saiyan 3

I detroy the world

I use the supercard DSTwo

What flashcard are you using? How exactly did it fail?

If the restore feature is all that doesn't work for you why do you need a new save file? The file you got from the original dump should be fine. You can always play it on your flashcard.

The restore feature with the 3 in 1 doesnt work for me, but with the new version it dumps it fine. I can restore with wifi though. But I was using the old version to dump my save and edit it with pokesav and restore it, but it turns out the save I dumped was corrupted (I didnt know it was corrupted until I restored it) so once I restored it the save on my cartridge was gone. And I had just beaten the 16th gym leader and now I'm back at the start and really mad if I cant get a save. So if someone could upload their save it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I can confirm it not working in neither of my flashcarts:

- My current one, a DSTT clone (R4 DSHC and I didn't mistype that), v6.32 RetroGameFan. It says "press B to continue" but hangs even if you press B. The message still appears.

- An old M3 Perfect miniSD (M3 Movie Player), slot-2 requiring a Passme v3 I have. I press B and the message disappears but nothing happens after that. Tried DLDI-patching the program and not patching it, removing the slot-2 before pressing B (as someone said) and not, removing the passcard and not. No worky.

Any help? The DSTT autopatches DLDI...

EDIT: Using DLDI No-AutoPatch (http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=DLDI_No-AutoPatch) on the DSTT clone, it does the same as the M3 Perfect: you can press B and the message goes away but nothing happens after that. All it shows is "DS savegame manager Version 0.2.3 beta by Pokedoc". Wifi settings seem correct, I can connect to the GTS and Rudolph's NDS Backup Tool Wifi appears to work... it's just it isn't compatible with HG/SS/B/W.

Hello, guys, and thanks for the help you provide us.

I'm using a SuperCard DSTwo, and the Wifi version of this program. and the Homebrew is working just fine regards Backing up and deleting the savefile.

But When it comes to restore, first, I don't see anything on the screen which is down except " Please select a .sav file (A) ... etc "

So, the screen is black and when I press A and then change the card, I can see :

Reading file :

/ ;

And I get this error on my FTP program :

[13:53:29] - [4] ANONYMOUS : Current Directory : C:\...\Saves\

[13:53:31] - [4] ANONYMOUS : Start Download of C:\...\Saves\;

[13:53:31] - [4] ANONYMOUS : Download Fail of C:\...\Saves\; (3,26 K/S - 27 852 972 bytes)

Help, please, I really need to put back this savefile on my cartridge...

The problem for DSi(XL) lies in the fact that game carts can't be swapped while the DSi is running. DS Phat and Lite allow this. This is not something the/a program running on a DSi(XL) can change.

EDIT: All of the above is "IIRC".

NDS Backup Tool WiFi works fine with DSiXL, thus this isn't the case.

This new updated version really doesn't like filezilla or smallftp. It works with xlight FTP just fine along with my Apache setup. However with the previous programs during transfer there's an error now that says asked for 512 got 48kb. In my logs it seems that when smallftp and filezilla server send the first fragments of the file the program now thinks the rest of the file is missing. It was easily fixed by switching servers however. Feel free to use whatever you want of my writing by the way. I'm just happy there's a backup tool out there that doesn't require me ripping open my flashcard.

Also, I REALLY like your new system of getting the file THEN writing it. It was really bad when the transfer corrupted and ruined the saves a few times. This is a nice safeguard for those weary of restoring saves with this program

Hey ! I finaly found the solution for my problem ... it was not coming from your application, but from my FTP server.

When I used Xlight FTP, it became working very well !

Thanks for your wonderful software !!

Hi, I'm getting that same error most people are getting. I am getting to the screen that says:

DS savegame manager

Version 0.2.3 Beta

By Pokedoc

Press (B) to continue

and nothing happens.

I am using a R4 Revolution for DS, on a DS lite.