A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

This new updated version really doesn't like filezilla or smallftp. It works with xlight FTP just fine along with my Apache setup. However with the previous programs during transfer there's an error now that says asked for 512 got 48kb. In my logs it seems that when smallftp and filezilla server send the first fragments of the file the program now thinks the rest of the file is missing. It was easily fixed by switching servers however. Feel free to use whatever you want of my writing by the way. I'm just happy there's a backup tool out there that doesn't require me ripping open my flashcard.

Also, I REALLY like your new system of getting the file THEN writing it. It was really bad when the transfer corrupted and ruined the saves a few times. This is a nice safeguard for those weary of restoring saves with this program

Edited by specialmias

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. Sorry to butt in from out of the blue but I really wanna backup my HG&SS save files. And my apologies as well if I would sound stupid with my questions.

I just want to ask if the program works on R4 cards because I have no idea with which or what this program is compatible with. I am using an R4 card (well uh... an imitation) with a 4gb sandisk microSD with the old R4 kernel. Everytime I boot the program it just stays in the screen where it asks me to press B and nothing happens whatsoever. I've tried removing the .ini file as well to no avail. Actually, my only option now is to use WiFi so I'm bothered as to how to make things work. I've successfully backed up my Diamond sav files (along with some other games' saves) using Rudolph's wifi tool. I'd appreciate any help. I just don't wanna freaking buy that NDS adapter tool for like $30. -_- Thanks! to Pokedoc, please do continue developing this tool. Thank you. Lol :biggrin:

Im sorry if this was asked before... is it possible to make this work like the old school program?

1) Start program on cyclo ds

2) Put in real cartridge

3) Press button to back it up to memory

4) Put in cyclo ds again

5) Save it to cyclo ds

????

As far as I know sabre, nothing ever worked like this. It seems that once the flashcard is ejected it can't be utilized again without a full reboot.

EDIT: What would be interesting is if there were any empty space in the memory storing the firmware. Homebrew is perfectly capable of writing to that (and I'd assume reading) on all pre-DSi models. For the DSi you have an SD card anyway.

Hi, Im new to this. I bought a CycloDS, and used Savegame manager 2.2. Im using Xlight FTP and it seems to read the wifi connection, but when i select the save file, it says "error:wrote 512, got 0". can anyone help me?

It's just a matter of patience and being really close to your router. Like less than a foot away. Since you got that far it means you did everything else right. Just try again and get closer and it'll probably still do it and be like "error:wrote 512, got 357". Just try it again until you get the full 512 and then you're done. :P

...It seems that once the flashcard is ejected it can't be utilized again without a full reboot....

The old Action Replay DS (non-DSi version) was capable of writing to the cartradge after it had been removed. You could swap the cart for the DS game at any time (other that when writing to the ARDS cart) and the DS game for the cart (unless the game has actually started), and you would still have full functionability.

If the code for FAT was changed, this behavior could be mimiced.

Also, apart from bug fixes, another feature you might want to try to work on is the ability to backup/restore WarioWare DIY saves. Currently, it cannot be backed up by any tool I'm aware of because it has a new type of save chip. Do you think you would be able to?

Edited by evandixon

No problem and thanks to Specialmias that cleared everything up on how to do it. Also make sure you open your save file with Pokesav or something and check your storage boxes and everything else to make sure your save ripped correctly and didn't rip a corrupted save file. I wouldn't risk restoring your save file to the cart until it's been tested a bit more.

If you don't mind me asking, how do I know if my save is not corrupted? Also I saw a new version of the tool 2.2 I believe, is this an update version for wifi mode too or is it only for 3in1?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day:smile:

If you don't mind me asking, how do I know if my save is not corrupted? Also I saw a new version of the tool 2.2 I believe, is this an update version for wifi mode too or is it only for 3in1?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day:smile:

Just by looking at things. If you want to be COMPLETELY OVERLY THOROUGH then you'll have to look at every single aspect of the save file. So open your storage boxes and all your pokemon's names should be correct and not just symbols and all jumbled and messed up. As well as the stats of the pokemon after you click to edit them. So as long as anything isn't all jumbled up and all symbols then you should be fine. What I did when I checked was I checked my boxes and just scrolled through all 18 and none of my pokemon were messed up so I proceeded assuming my save was ripped correctly. I haven't seen anything that would prove otherwise so far with my save.

I tried DLDI Patch(r4tf), and I cannot get the savegame_manager.nds to work, when I load it in with my R4 sdhc it comes to its startup screen that says press B, I do, and then the bottom screen is blank and the top screen is stuck, it only shows the program name, version number, and author.

and I did use the DLDI file. (I'm using smallftpd, NDS Lite, and I don't have ez3in1...)

I tried DLDI Patch(r4tf), and I cannot get the savegame_manager.nds to work, when I load it in with my R4 sdhc it comes to its startup screen that says press B, I do, and then the bottom screen is blank and the top screen is stuck, it only shows the program name, version number, and author.

and I did use the DLDI file. (I'm using smallftpd, NDS Lite, and I don't have ez3in1...)

same thing happens to me :[ I suppose it's not R4 compatible. And I think it should've worked by itself w/o patching too though (if it were compatible with R4).

Thanks for the tool.. but...

I downloaded the lastest version. 2.2.

Copied it to my microSD 4gb.

Put it on the Supercard DSTWO

Started

(Press B to continue. Nothing)

Removed

Applied Dldi

Retried

same.. Press b to continue, and no way to make it go further

Any ideas?

Thanks for the tool.. but...

I downloaded the lastest version. 2.2.

Copied it to my microSD 4gb.

Put it on the Supercard DSTWO

Started

Removed

Applied Dldi

Retried

same.. Press b to continue, and no way to make it go further

Any ideas?

What flashcart do you have?

Amazing thanks!! I used the version 0.2, not the 0.2.2, because I had the same problem as NENINEF (I have a AceKard 2i with AKAIO). But version 0.2 worked amazingly!

But since HG/SS is a infrared card, and BW too (correct me if I'm wong but will this tool also work for BW?

it works fine for backuping with my wood r4 but i can't manage to restore :(

Same here on DS2.

Using a 3in1.

Each time I try to restore, it either says "File too small or no save chip" or "Thanks to some crazy bug, you will have to restart the DS and this app. Sorry."

Both seems to take turns happening, too.

Every time I try to use the tool, I get to 56% of writing the save to NOR, and it always freezes there, so long as I'm trying SoulSilver or Platinum. Another random game (CrossworDS) froze at 50%.

The hwtest.nds output for my 3-in-1 is as follows:

Testing 512M version:

ffff ffff ffff ffff

Testing 256M versions:

227e 227e

Testing 256M revision:

2218 2218

H6H6

I'm using both an EDGE (latest firmware) and an EZ Flash Vi (latest firmware) on a DS Lite.

UPDATE

And now after fiddling about with it for another half hour, I was able to get it to work after backiing up a Pokemon Diamond save using Rudolph's 3-in-1 tool, though when I first started said tool, it was giving me errors about not being able to see the 3-in-1.

So..yeah, used the Rudolph 3-in-1 tool to reformat my 3-in-1, and was able to get Snapshot 2 working and was able to backup and edit and restore my SoulSilver save.

2.2 probably works, just.. haven't tried it.

Edited by NobleArc
Added cart versions. | Fixed own problem, ha!

so here is how my tries are going

using

snapshot 2

Supercard DSTWO

dslite

i get through everything up to "connecting to FTP", and though i can connect using filezilla to my ftp it takes about a minute to before just displays the letters "nect"