A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

Tsujin, i had my ds stationary and less than a foot away from the router. haha I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I'm currently trying to get pokemon via distribution, and i'm getting a white screen. that's more of a priority, than making a backup right now ;)

thanks for the tips though.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get the app to do anything.. It says hit B, I do, then nothing. Before once I got here, it'd tell me it couldn't find the ini and tell me to try placing the files in the root. Is there not a way to disregard the ini if I want to use my 3-in-1 for backing up?

For some reason Pokedoc adds the folder/directory name (savegame_manager_0.2.1) to the beginning of the file names (Ex savegame_manager_0.2.1\savegame_manager.nds). This causes problems as the NDS file looks for "savegame_manager.ini", not "savegame_manager_0.2.1\savegame_manager.ini". You need to rename both the NDS and INI files to "savegame_manager". Place them both in the same folder, and then boot the NDS file. It should work after that. If it says it can't find the ini file, move it to the root of the card and try again. Once the app actually loads, its self-explanatory.
edit: OK. After looking at the files again, I figured out why it wasnt working. Both the ini and nds files are prefixed with "savegame_manager_0.2.1\". The app looks for "savegame_manager.ini", not "savegame_manager_0.2.1\savegame_manager.ini". Why were they zipped with the wrong file names and why was this not mentioned anywhere? Better yet, why hasn't it been fixed yet?

this sounds like my problem, but my files aren't named incorrectly

claudekennilol, not sure why it isn't working if your files are named correctly. To be honest I'm actually suprised they aren't misnamed. What is the file name? Also what release are you using?

Adding another bug: I tried to rip a friend's SS save and it failed with both snapshot and snapshot2. snapshot just errored out with generic message while snapshot2 said it was a NOR error. I used snapshot to extract the save from my HG and it worked, so not sure why SS wouldn't work.

claudekennilol, not sure why it isn't working if your files are named correctly. To be honest I'm actually suprised they aren't misnamed. What is the file name? Also what release are you using?

Adding another bug: I tried to rip a friend's SS save and it failed with both snapshot and snapshot2. snapshot just errored out with generic message while snapshot2 said it was a NOR error. I used snapshot to extract the save from my HG and it worked, so not sure why SS wouldn't work.

I used the Snapshot 2 and extracted my save from my SS game. It's not the game. Although I used the wifi method and not an EZ 3 in 1.

from snapshot 2, the 2 files are in a folder named "shapshot 2" in the archive. In that folder, are two files named "savegame_manager.ini" and "savegame_manager.nds". I took those two files and dropped them into a folder on my cyclo. It didn't work, told me it couldn't find the ini, so I moved the ini to the root, it didn't work again, so I moved both to the root. There, it just froze up after it said to 'hit B to continue'. It didn't give me the error like it had before, it just froze and didn't do anything.

I haven't seen anything about this app other than the screen that says hit B to continue and the popup that says it couldn't find the .ini file and to move it to another folder.

Hello there when I want to rehabilitate my sav SS in my cartridge I go to "Restore. sav-game" I click, it connects me I select my sav SS I want to put on a cartridge SS I remove the flash card and I put my game it loads but the transfer stops suddenly it depends on time at 4%, 18% ect ... SmallFTP on this one so I tried it on screnn http://nsa26.casimages.com/img/2011/02/06/110206122755157233.png

TYPSoft FTP Server but is not it better hang on nect ....

What to do?

PS: I use a Acekard2i with firmware 1.8.5 AKAIO and I have no 3in1

FR: Salut voilà quand je veux réinsérer ma sav SS dans ma cartouche je vais dans dans "Restore .sav-game" je clique sur,ça me connecte je sélectionne ma sav SS que je veux mettre sur ma cartouche SS j'enlève le flash card et je met mon jeu ça charge mais le transfert s'arrête tout à coup ça dépend des fois à 4%, 18% ect... Sur SmallFTP voilà un screnn http://nsa26.casimages.com/img/2011/02/06/110206122755157233.png j'ai donc essayé sur

TYPSoft FTP Server mais c'est pas mieux ça se bloque sur nect....

Que faire?

PS:J'utilise une Acekard2i avec le firmware Akaio 1.8.5 et je n'ai pas de 3in1

Okay, I did some testing and I successfully restored a save to my retail cart, unfortunately it was a brand new save I created using a ROM, the odd thing is that PokéSav can read my backed up save so I don't know what's happening here.

Oh, I did this using WiFi-FTP mode, as 3 in 1 mode gave me an error.

Edit:

Hello there when I want to rehabilitate my sav SS in my cartridge I go to "Restore. sav-game" I click, it connects me I select my sav SS I want to put on a cartridge SS I remove the flash card and I put my game it loads but the transfer stops suddenly it depends on time at 4%, 18% ect ... SmallFTP on this one so I tried it on screnn http://nsa26.casimages.com/img/2011/02/06/110206122755157233.png

TYPSoft FTP Server but is not it better hang on nect ....

What to do?

PS: I use a Acekard2i with firmware 1.8.5 AKAIO and I have no 3in1

FR: Salut voilà quand je veux réinsérer ma sav SS dans ma cartouche je vais dans dans "Restore .sav-game" je clique sur,ça me connecte je sélectionne ma sav SS que je veux mettre sur ma cartouche SS j'enlève le flash card et je met mon jeu ça charge mais le transfert s'arrête tout à coup ça dépend des fois à 4%, 18% ect... Sur SmallFTP voilà un screnn http://nsa26.casimages.com/img/2011/02/06/110206122755157233.png j'ai donc essayé sur

TYPSoft FTP Server mais c'est pas mieux ça se bloque sur nect....

Que faire?

PS:J'utilise une Acekard2i avec le firmware Akaio 1.8.5 et je n'ai pas de 3in1

Keep trying until it reaches 100%, it happens to me as well.

from snapshot 2, the 2 files are in a folder named "shapshot 2" in the archive. In that folder, are two files named "savegame_manager.ini" and "savegame_manager.nds". I took those two files and dropped them into a folder on my cyclo. It didn't work, told me it couldn't find the ini, so I moved the ini to the root, it didn't work again, so I moved both to the root. There, it just froze up after it said to 'hit B to continue'. It didn't give me the error like it had before, it just froze and didn't do anything.

I haven't seen anything about this app other than the screen that says hit B to continue and the popup that says it couldn't find the .ini file and to move it to another folder.

I have no idea why its not working for you. All I can guess is maybe the your download was corrupted. This app is still in pre-beta (pre-alpha even), so it could just be a stupid glitch or bug.

As for you file names, Im suprised it didn't do that for you. Has no one else run into oddly named files from the zips? What are you using to extract them?

I have no idea why its not working for you. All I can guess is maybe the your download was corrupted. This app is still in pre-beta (pre-alpha even), so it could just be a stupid glitch or bug.

As for you file names, Im suprised it didn't do that for you. Has no one else run into oddly named files from the zips? What are you using to extract them?

None of the Zip files I downloaded had anything mis named either. I'm using Safari to download them and I just right click them and hit extract all to extract them. O.o?

Having the same problem Tsujin is having using Datel's Max Media Dock with the 1GB "Giga-pak" in slot-2 on a DSlite. Both the .nds & .ini are in the root directory & the binary was patched with this dldi file. Boots up to "Press (B) to continue" & then hangs after the button is pressed. This is using v0.2.1

Having the same problem Tsujin is having using Datel's Max Media Dock with the 1GB "Giga-pak" in slot-2 on a DSlite. Both the .nds & .ini are in the root directory & the binary was patched with this dldi file. Boots up to "Press (B) to continue" & then hangs after the button is pressed. This is using v0.2.1

That's not my problem. xD

I actually backed up my save successfully already. Try using the Snapshot and Snapshot2 files. You might have better luck with those.

That's not my problem. xD

I actually backed up my save successfully already. Try using the Snapshot and Snapshot2 files. You might have better luck with those.

Sorry, I got mixed up when skimming over the quotes. Actually I am having the same exact hangup claudekennilol is having. Thanks for the other links - I've tried both the "snapshot" & "snapshot 2" files (both unpatched & dldi patched) with the tool becoming unresponsive after the initial screen & pressing the B button. I assume I'm using v0.2.2 then from the indication on the screen.

Again this is using Datel's "Max Media Dock" slot-1/slot-2 combo of "Max Media Player for Nintendo DS" in slot-1 & 1GB "GigaPack for Nintendo DS lite" in slot-2 (looks like an oddly shaped GBA cart). It doesn't look like any of the other MMDs they sell that look chunky & actually have a slot for the CF cards. Never seen another one like it but I believe it's authentic because I purchased it at Best Buy. I also assume it works exactly like the other models since the dldi patch has worked with other backup tools like Rudolph's & Reinmoon's. I have no other carts to test it on.

Thanks again for the tool & I'll be anxious to hear any updates. Until then it looks like I'm gonna have to start saving up for another cart tool system or the NDS Adapter + :frown:

That sucks! It was corrupted when you ripped it or did it become corrupted after you edited it?

When I ripped it, my screenie shows the unedited file I got using savegame_manager 0.2 in 3-in-1 mode, so I'm not sure if this problem has been fixed in the newer releases.

I suppose I could try now that I haven't progressed that much in my game.

I'm not sure about if it's been fixed in 3-in-1 mode but I know that the Wi-fi/FTP mode gives a fully functional non-corrupted save file. I haven't tried to restore it though cuz I was scared of losing my save file after I saw your post.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I am still working on what I hope to be the last glitches in 3in1 mode (and then I will release a new version, probably this weekend). In fact, I decided to go with snapshots since the bugs reported by some people do not seem to appear for everybody (and I did not want to release new versions that did not fix anything...). During the last weeks, I learned a lot on how the 3in1 actually works, and what kind of stuff is glitched in the standard code provided by Team EZFlash. (For those technically interested: the 3in1 NOR is almost identical to Flash saves on GBA games, down to the way to address it. Using this background, I was quite surprised on what the standard library did not do.)

@everybody who has issues with a 3in1:

During an early development stage, my own SS did result in bad dumps, with only *two bytes* being off. It disappeared later, so I thought it was fixed, but now that Poryhack is observing pretty much the same, it seems to be different. In the snapshots, I had added code to verify that everything that gets written to the 3in1 correctly (by reading it back), and now this older bug seems to be back. I am currently working on a fix, which will lead to a final version of 0.2.2, which should be ready later this weekend.

@Zelda4 and everybody who has issues with WiFi mode:

I have decided to replace the WiFi code with something less glitchy, and I will also try to make it more save for existing saves (i.e. get the entire save before writing to the game cartridge). This will probably not make it into 0.2.2, though (sorry).

@specialmias: I have also started writing on a readme file myself, giving instructions how to set everything up, and general things. Since I have not yet found the time to write the paragraph on WiFi mode, I would like to copy what you wrote (with your permission, of course). Black/White *should* work, assuming that they are using the same cartridge layout, but before the localised versions reach Europe, I can't test it myself. (In other words: Wait for a month or so, then I can test it myself.)

@claudekennilol: If you still have issues with ini file not found, you need to drop it into one of two positions: either your root folder (which should always work), or the same folder where your nds file is placed (only works if your flash card supports "argv", which tells the program what directory it is running from - but this depends on your flash card firmware). If you keep having issues, I may make the ini file optional - it is only used for WiFi mode, anyway. Where the nds file is found *should* not matter.

@ZeroManArmy: The AR DSi seems to be a problem in itself. You need a DLDI patch to get this program running (essentially a driver for the microSD card on your hardware). Pretty much all moderately recent flash cards do this automatically, except (i believe) the AR DSi and similar devices. I never needed to do this myself, so I can't give you too many hints, but Google says that you need the "GMTF DLDI driver" (no idea where to get it, or actually, what "GMTF" stands for). Since Datel devices are slightly different from classical flash cards (in terms of blocking piracy), it might still not work then. And if you are trying to run it on a DSi/XL, it will not work anyway, since the DSi messes with the hardware required to access slot-1. (When this gets finally figured out, I will adde is asap.)

Random questions, which keep popping up:

Slot 2 cartridges are not officially supported (yet). If it works for you, good; if not, bad luck. I don't have any slot-2 cartridge to test it myself (but I have finally found a store that still sells Supercards), and currently, I am focusing on stabilizing the 3in1 and WiFi backup modes. In other words: it is on my list, but not quite at the top.

If you are wondering why this is the only tool that works: HG/SS have the infrared device used to speak to the Pokewalker. Since slot-1 does not grow additional pins to talk to the new hardware, Nintendo had to change the game card, so it is able to switch between the save chip and the IR device. This also needs a slightly different strategy to address this chip (and I seem to be the first person to figure it out). If you use standard methods, you will get random garbage, since the chip does not know which device to address. And personally, I still believe that this is the reason why Nintendo decided to recycle the IR device for Black/White - to protect their precious saves. 4-way video chat with a device that requires a clear line-of-sight is quite pointless, imho.

Hello,

First of all, thank you for this tool, I was hoping for something like that :smile:

Unfortunately, there is no guide or readme in the zip folder and I have no idea how this tool work. Can someone explain it to me please? Or maybe redirect me to a guide somewhere?

For your information: I have :

-DSi and DSlite

- Soul Silver cartridge

-Acekard 2i

-Sudoku hax

Can I back up my Soul Silver cartridge save with this tool? Maybe with the wifi mode?

I only want to back up my save.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Rukia-san

No problem and thanks to Specialmias that cleared everything up on how to do it. Also make sure you open your save file with Pokesav or something and check your storage boxes and everything else to make sure your save ripped correctly and didn't rip a corrupted save file. I wouldn't risk restoring your save file to the cart until it's been tested a bit more.

I just had a bizarre long string of failed uploads. I ended up having to remake the save file in my game 4-5 times before it would download without corruption. Each "new" save file would corrupt during download at the same position until it worked.

Another bizarre string of failed uploads "magically" fixed when I plugged my dying DS in.

Just an FYI for anyone who may be having issues.

(I was going to post this yesterday evening, but my internet didn't like me, so sorry for the small delay.)

I've just finished the next version. I still do not understand the random data corruption in the first 256 bytes (with the 3in1 method), but I fixed it anyway. I am simply leaving the first 256 bytes untouched, and write the save to a different location on the 3in1. Poryhacks save now dumps/restores correctly (and those who had still issues with the 3in1 should also try this version). Version 0.2.2 is available at the first post. (I really wonder how flash cards work around this issue?)

I have also modified the WiFi backup method; the program will now try to load the entire save from your FTP server before touching your game cartridge. If your save is larger than 2MB, you will get a warning that restoring is insecure (and the program will stop, just to be sure). This should prevent any more damage until the transfer itself is fully fixed. If your file is at most 2MB (which should be the case for HG/SS, and at least 99% of all DS games), the program will stop if there is an error while loading the save, and your original game will not be touched. In this case, try again and get REALLY CLOSE to your access point; this seems to fix a glitchy connection in most cases. During my own experiments, connection failures already started at about 40-50 cm. (The glitchy connection will be fixed in a later version, I have to try out several things, but if you just keep trying with the current version, it should work anyway.)

I hate to even report on another problem at this point, but..

SS is still not backing up for me. Everything goes fine until it reaches 56% on "Writing save to NOR", at which point is just hangs and refuses to do anything else. The save file should be the same as the one I sent you. Diamond is having the same problem, I don't have time to test more but it's probably safe to say that all games are gonna do the same.