A tool to backup HG/SS saves

Pokedoc

Great work! I'm getting clean backups with the 3in1 method now.

Unfortunately, I'm having a whole new problem. Diamond backs up fine but I'm getting an error every time with SoulSilver; I get "ERROR backing up file!" as soon as it hits 6% in the writing save to NOR step.

EDIT: Just tried 0.2.1 and it works (ignoring the junk data in the save) with SS. Should be a pretty easy bug to peg down!

This is good to hear, I have been doing my last tests with a Platinum cartridge (without errors), and I'll need to re-test it with my own SS. Since you are using Acekard/AKAIO (V 1.8.5?), it should be easy to reproduce, since I have this card myself. The warning you are getting is actually a new safeguard added in this section. After the program writes a block to the 3in1, it immediately reads it back and verifies that the data is still the same, i.e. without random garbage appearing again. But I already have an idea how to fix this - I'll try to extract those commands that banished the garbage data from the format procedure and call it each time before reading something.

@Zelda4: If I understand you correctly, you are using WiFi mode, on an M3, and you edited your save using one of the tools from this site. Then you restore your save (again using WiFi, I assume), and your edited save never seems to arrive? Please give me the following informations: The version of your M3 firmware (and if you are using the DS-sized version of the M3 or the GBA-sized version, just to be sure), and the save you are trying to restore (just to be sure that your edited file is sane). It would also be helpful to know what WiFi AP you are using, and which driver. This should help me reproduce the bug (or at least narrow it down).

Oh yes, if you prefer writing in French, just keep doing so. I had French as my first foreign language (many years ago), and even though I would no longer dare to write in this language, I can still follow what you are saying.

EDIT: I have finally understood where the garbage data is coming from. The NOR memory on the 3in1 works very similar to the Flash saves found on GBA games. This includes an "ID mode", where the device is giving out an endless stream of its hardware ID. Seems like the EZFlash sample code for old devices enters this mode, but it gets never switched off. And this places the weird periodic pattern over the data we want to read. I have fixed this, and it now works without having to format anything.

Poryhack, unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the final bug with your SS. I am attaching a second snapshot, where the other bug is fixed "correctly", maybe it also fixes your issue (hardware running outside the specifications could result in weird behaviour, after all). If you are still getting errors during the backup process, then I have to ask you to dump your save using WiFi (or one of these USB sticks), if possible, so I can work exactly under the same parameters as you. (I hope that this will not be required, though.)

snapshot 2.zip

snapshot 2.zip

Edited by Pokedoc
New snapshot available

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: I have finally understood where the garbage data is coming from. The NOR memory on the 3in1 works very similar to the Flash saves found on GBA games. This includes an "ID mode", where the device is giving out an endless stream of its hardware ID. Seems like the EZFlash sample code for old devices enters this mode, but it gets never switched off. And this places the weird periodic pattern over the data we want to read. I have fixed this, and it now works without having to format anything.

Poryhack, unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the final bug with your SS. I am attaching a second snapshot, where the other bug is fixed "correctly", maybe it also fixes your issue (hardware running outside the specifications could result in weird behaviour, after all). If you are still getting errors during the backup process, then I have to ask you to dump your save using WiFi (or one of these USB sticks), if possible, so I can work exactly under the same parameters as you. (I hope that this will not be required, though.)

I'm having the same problem, but the error message is now "Verifying NOR failed." I'm on a slightly older (1.7.x) version of AKAIO so I'm gonna try with the latest version... Annnnd I'm getting the same problem. I'm gonna upload the save (I'll grab it via my NDS Backup Adapter) so you can try.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/258536/error.sav

I can't get 0.2.1 to run on either of my flash carts (CycloDS and Acekard 2i). On both it says it cannot find the ini file. I put it in the same folder as the ROM, one folder up from that, and than the root of the card and it still couldn't find it. If I put the rom and ini file in the root folder, the app freezes (CycloDS) or give the same error message (Acekard). I don't see anyone else with this issue, so I have no idea why it won't work.

Edit: OK. After looking at the files again, I figured out why it wasnt working. Both the ini and nds files are prefixed with "savegame_manager_0.2.1\". The app looks for "savegame_manager.ini", not "savegame_manager_0.2.1\savegame_manager.ini". Why were they zipped with the wrong file names and why was this not mentioned anywhere? Better yet, why hasn't it been fixed yet?

Edited by GumbyX

No answer?

Well I'm hoping someone can tell me how to use Wifi mode to back it up.

I tried using the program and backing up the save and all it tells me once I insert my SS game is.

FTP: Connecting to AP.

FTP: Error: AP not found.

Not exactly sure what this means?

@Zelda4: If I understand you correctly, you are using WiFi mode, on an M3, and you edited your save using one of the tools from this site. Then you restore your save (again using WiFi, I assume), and your edited save never seems to arrive? Please give me the following informations: The version of your M3 firmware (and if you are using the DS-sized version of the M3 or the GBA-sized version, just to be sure), and the save you are trying to restore (just to be sure that your edited file is sane). It would also be helpful to know what WiFi AP you are using, and which driver. This should help me reproduce the bug (or at least narrow it down).

No i'im use acekard2i !

Use a firmware Akaio 1.8.5,and DS lite and I want to put a cartridge in a sav SS and SS is the same name as that extracted(Pokemon SS.0.sav)

fr: Non j'utilise une Acekard2i et le firmaware Akaio 1.8.5 et une DS lite(vus que ça marche pas sur DSi),ma wifi est en mode clé Wep et j'utilise SmallFTP ou TYPSoft FTP Server...

Sinon je veux mettre une sav au même nom que celle extraite (Pokemon SS.0.sav).

Sinon dans SmallFTP le transfert se met à 20% et ça s'arrête pourquoi?

Et c'est le Port 21

No answer?

Well I'm hoping someone can tell me how to use Wifi mode to back it up.

I tried using the program and backing up the save and all it tells me once I insert my SS game is.

FTP: Connecting to AP.

FTP: Error: AP not found.

Not exactly sure what this means?

I've never used the wifi tool, but here is a tutorial on how to set it up. I believe this is the app works with wifi mode.

http://gbatemp.net/t252623-tutorial-nds-backup-tool-wifi

Update: I tried extracting my save again. but when I load up HG on my Acekard it doesn't recognize it. I can open it in PokeSav but my boxes are currupt (most of them anyway). PokeGen says its an "invalid save file". Basically I'm having the same problem that kuronot had a few weeks ago. I don't know how to do a wifi dump of the save, though I'm pretty sure I can't do it as I have a Mac as my main machine. I just stumbled upon the "snapshot" Pokedoc posted a few days ago, so I'm going to give it a try.

Update: The save extracted by the "snapshot" version works. Why isn't this version in the first post with the other downloads instead of the non-working 0.2.1? Also, I notice you again append the name of the folder (in this case snapshot) to the front of the file name. What is up with that?

Edited by GumbyX
Updates on my problem added

just wanted to thank you pokedoc I've had this program upload to my FTP server perfectly every single time. I just wanted to echo the other people in this thread when I ask are there any plans as of yet for this to work with black/white or will it be an automatic sort of thing? I know trying to remove raw saves from hg/ss ends up causing errors in just about every method I've used to extract saves so I'm curious as yours is the only one I've seen to work perfectly.

By the way tusjin this program works by sending your files to an FTP server anywhere you point it to in your wireless setting. the .INI file it comes with will use your wireless connection to have your DS connect to an FTP server anywhere on your computer. In essence an FTP server is a "folder" you share online and can have people login to. This program will login to the folder and dump your save file or depending on what you choose. The error you got means your DS cannot access your home wireless connection for some reason

Yup, I'm using 3in1 restore mode and I get both screens; when I try to restore an edited save file I get the blue screen, but when I try to restore my unedited save file my cart behaves like a brand-new one.

Oh, I'm using an Acekard 2i and the latest savegame_manager version*, if that helps.

*Edit: I didn't realise there was a new version, gonna try and post results as soon as possible!

Edit numero 2: Still won't work.

Bumpy

Noko: So you can rip saves using your 3-in-1, but not upload/restore them back to the retail cart? Did you use snapshot2? I ask as I was going to try this sometime next week. If there is a chance of losing my save, I'm not trying it until Pokedoc does more testing.

Is there a readme or anything? Or another site/post with more info? Or are we just supposed to guess our way through this? So far I've done dropped the nds and the ini in the root/savemanager. booted it up, it said if it didn't work to put the ini in the root. did that, booted it up, same thing. so I put both the app and the ini in the root, it seemed to work. I hit B, it does nothing.. This is the part where I'd do some reading to find out what's supposed to happen, or how to work it.. but the first post here just says "here it is, this is what I've fixed" So any help would appreciated.

Noko: So you can rip saves using your 3-in-1, but not upload/restore them back to the retail cart? Did you use snapshot2? I ask as I was going to try this sometime next week. If there is a chance of losing my save, I'm not trying it until Pokedoc does more testing.

Yup!

Okay I figure I'll make a little guide since people are somewhat confused as to how to use this application.

1)First thing you need to do is setup an FTP server. I have my own private FTP server overseas but I imagine smallftp would work just as well. Verify that your server is working on an open port (usually 21) by connecting to it with a client like http://filezilla-project.org/. If you need specific help with what programs you should use and what you need to setup an FTP server it's quite easy to google as there are literally thousands of FTP servers out there. Although I hear for the purposes of save file backup smallftp is the best. Once you verify your server is running be it smallftp or whatever it is you use AND you've verified you can connect to your server move to step 2

2)Verify your NDS can connect to the internet normally go onto the official Nintendo GTS and setup your wifi connection in the wifi connection settings of your NDS. You will have to set it to your home network and verify your NDS is visible by your router on your home network. Once you verify your NDS can use your home network to go online AND you see it can access the official (Nintendo based) GTS and function normally move to step 3. Again if you have trouble with this the official Nintendo support website has instructions on how to get your DS working on your home connection.

3)Now we need to setup the save manager. I'm using an Acekard2i and copied over savegame_manager.ini and savegame_manager.nds to the root of my acekard. Now that you have these two files copied to the root of your acekard2i we need to modify the configuration settings to redirect our save files to our personal FTP server.

4) Crack open the savegame_manager.ini you just copied and that is in the same directory as your savegame_manager.nds and you'll see this:

Simple fill in as required

If you're running small ftp or some other home FTP client you need to redirect savegame manager to your home computer to do this you'll need your home computers IP address. This can be found by hitting start and in the search programs and files box or the run box typing cmd.exe

now that you have cmd.exe open type ipconfig and you will see the IP address of your home computer running the ftp server, it's usually something like 192.168.X.X

ftp_ip = ftp.myfakeftpaddress.com or (192.168.X.X ) < your ftp address

ftp_user = yourftppassword < Make you set the password in your FTP server to exactly what you set in your FTP server settings A good rule of thumb is that if you can login with filezilla with the exact username and password you type in here to your ftp server your savegame manager will too.

ftp_pass = yourftppassword

ftp_port = 21 < your ftp port again, if you can login with filezilla using this port so will savegame manger.

Save the file, close it and boot up your flashcard with the program copied over.

5) Run savegame manager.nds and press B at the start screen be sure not to have any GBA games in the slot below if you have an older DS.

6) We need to first obtain a copy of our save file so we hit backup game> .sav on the touchscreen.

7)It will instruct you to remove your flash card and insert your retail game when done hit A

8)If you setup steps 1-4 correctly it should only take 12 seconds or so to connect to your home FTP server. If you messed up steps 1-4 or something on your router and/or computer is blocking your ftp server or NDS you will get an error at this point. error list below

A)stuck at connecting to FTP... < your FTP server is not setup correctly see if you can connect to your FTP using programs on your computer

B)Stuck at connecting to AP< Your NDS cannot connect to your home connection see offical nintendo support as to why

c)Incorrect password< your ftp password is wrong

9)If all goes well you will notice three options A, select a savegame to overwrite already on your FTP server. B move one folder up in your FTP server or press L+R to create an entirely new copy of your retail HG/SS savegame on your FTP server, I recommend you use L+R. You will then see a progress bar and your savegame will begin to download to your FTP server folder.

10) Turn off your DS, your savegame is now on your PC!

11)Once edited savegames can return to your DS by repeating at step 7 and instead touching the restore .sav>game

12. Use your D padto select the save file you want to restore and hit A. Follow the same instructions.

The transfer process seems to be very sensitive to interrupts of any kind so if your wireless signal at home is low OR the FTP server has some issue it likes to act up. Often times I find the way to fix frozen transfers is to completely shut down my FTP server and reboot it then clear out the save folder I'm using on the FTP server completely. Then place a new copy of the save from another folder on your computer in the FTP folder.

I suspect that if the transfer is interrupted momentarily due to low signal or some other issue it corrupts the save file on some FTP clients that you keep in your save folder. So your FTP server confirms that part of the file sent while savegame nds is still waiting for the transfer to complete

I figured it was that, even though i'm basically next to the router. I'll get closer to it, and try other stuff.

Good writeup Specialmias. It should be copied and moved to the OP.

EDIT: been trying multiple things, and can't get it to complete a .sav

Is there a readme or anything? Or another site/post with more info? Or are we just supposed to guess our way through this? So far I've done dropped the nds and the ini in the root/savemanager. booted it up, it said if it didn't work to put the ini in the root. did that, booted it up, same thing. so I put both the app and the ini in the root, it seemed to work. I hit B, it does nothing.. This is the part where I'd do some reading to find out what's supposed to happen, or how to work it.. but the first post here just says "here it is, this is what I've fixed" So any help would appreciated.

Sadly there is no readme, which is something I've been asking for since I found this app. Without one. its not clear how to get the app running. For some reason Pokedoc adds the folder/directory name (savegame_manager_0.2.1) to the beginning of the file names (Ex savegame_manager_0.2.1\savegame_manager.nds). This causes problems as the NDS file looks for "savegame_manager.ini", not "savegame_manager_0.2.1\savegame_manager.ini". You need to rename both the NDS and INI files to "savegame_manager". Place them both in the same folder, and then boot the NDS file. It should work after that. If it says it can't find the ini file, move it to the root of the card and try again. Once the app actually loads, its self-explanatory. If you want to do a dump via Wifi, you will have to ask someone else about it as I have no idea how it works.

A heads up: Ignore the releases in the first post and use snapshot 2 (found in post 76). It is the most recent stable build. It works with a 3-in-1 (tested it myself), but Noko is having problems copying saves back to a retail cart.

Yup!

Goodie. Thanks for the heads up. Sucks you lost your save on the retail cart. Thankfully it is backed up so when the problem is fixed, you restore it. Hopefully Pokedoc gets back to us this weekend about bug fixes.

Tried a number of things, couldn't get it to do a complete upload :/

It's probably just a patience thing. Try not to move to much when you're doing it. I had to do it about 4-5 times before I got a complete transfer. But it worked completey.

Thanks btw specialmias. The sad thing is that I did these exact steps last night and the night before using smallftp but I was too far from my AP so it was being gay about it. I had to literally sit right next my router when I did it but it worked. So thanks anyways though. :D

Also, have you tested yourself restoring the save yourself as I saw Noko's retail cart's save got erased when she tried but she's using a 3 in 1 EZ Flash.