Games: English Names for Starters Revealed

NewsBot

• Bot

Article Posted by <a href="/forums/member.php?25">randomspot555</a>: <a href="/news/264/English Names for Starters Revealed">English Names for Starters Revealed</a><p>

The official<a href="http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/the-starter-pokemon/"> North American site</a> for Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version has revealed the English names for the three starters.  The Grass-type starter is <strong>Snivy</strong>, the Water-type starter is <strong>Oshawott</strong>, and the Fire-type starter is <strong>Tepig</strong>.  </p>

<p>

The English name of the new region has also been revealed.  It will be called <strong>Unova</strong>.  This is in contrast to previous regions, which were very similar in pronounciation between Japanese and English.</p>

<p>

The Black and White games are due out in Spring 2011.</p>

Edited by randomspot555

From Marriland website ==> http://pokemon.marriland.com

The Official Pokemon Black and White site made several large announcements today to get us even more excited about the new generation. As teased on Pokemon.com for a few days, they have officially unveiled the three starters of the new region, which is now known as the Unova Region (previously known as Isshu) in the English versions of the game (it's actually a different name in foreign languages, which is interesting).

What did they wind up naming those starters, you ask?

Tsutarja is now known as Snivy in English. The name Snivy is assumed to be a combination of snake and ivy, and given Snivy's appearance, it's easy to assume that snide may be in there as well (although I'm probably just making that last one up).

Pokabu is now known as Tepig in English. It's most likely a combination of tepid (moderately warm or lukewarm; also characterized by a lack of enthusiasm or energy) and, quite obviously, pig. Rather appropriate for the pig. I said the pig, not Tepig.

Lastly, Mijumaru is now known as Oshawott in English. You may be asking Osha-what? at first, and, well, I may have to get back to you on this one. My guess is that it's a play on "ocean" and "otter," but I'm sure I'll be proven otherwise by someone with plenty of time on their hands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...