Pokemon Soul Silver Plus

RyouChan

What should Whitney's 5th Pokemon be?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What should Whitney's 5th Pokemon be?

• Wigglytuff
    • Chansey
    • Delcatty
    • Lopunny
    • Other (Post)

Haha, this is a pretty cool project!

When I edit Pokemon roms, I usually edit them similar to how you have, which I find fascinating. Actually, I completed a preliminary version of HG a while back that was strikingly similar, but never finished it, due to me learning how to do certain things better than i did. Great minds think alike, right? haha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing looks awesome, I wish this thread would update.

Wish granted! *sprinkles faerie dust around thread*

No but in all seriousness I'm back.

I just picked this up again tonight and I'm currently looking at team ideas for Morty and updating some areas to advance how far through the game it's playable. o:

I'm also looking to hopefully release a list of which Pokemon are found where, for the curious-and-not-interested-in-exploration types.

great to see that youre back. can you add a list of all the tools you used to the first page? thanks.

Sure. At this point it's only PPRE, xDelta GUI, NitroExplorer, and Attack Editor DP.

To answer your question you asked on my visitor profile page, if you want to make a move "tutor only" from the move rememberer, you simply add it to the regular learning list as a level 1 ability. That's where most of the tutor only moves such as Wood Hammer for Torterra are, generally. If the Pokemon is not an evolved Pokemon, make sure there are enough moves under it to push it off of its learned list on a level 1.

Ex:

Recover

Tail Whip

Tackle

Growl

Helping Hand

all at level 1 would lead to a Pokemon getting

Tail Whip

Tackle

Growl

Helping Hand

at level 1 when hatched from an egg, and being able to learn Recover only by going to the move rememberer.

As of now I'm unsure where the moves are stored for other move tutors such as the BP tutors so this is the current method I'm using.

How would I tell if the rom was patched correctly playing wise. For example I start playing but what differences are there that let me know im playing the patched game. Im asking cuz i dont want to wait till my pokemons evolution to realize its was correctly patched or not.

How would I tell if the rom was patched correctly playing wise. For example I start playing but what differences are there that let me know im playing the patched game. Im asking cuz i dont want to wait till my pokemons evolution to realize its was correctly patched or not.

The first few things you should notice:

-Route 29 should have no level 2 Pokemon. At all. If you find one, you're not patched.

-If your starter Pokemon has Tackle, the base power should say 40 instead of the usual 35.

-Your starter should learn a move at level 6:

Cyndaquil: Mud Slap

Chikorita: PoisonPowder

Totodile: Rage

It's rare for it to fail to patch, unless you received an error message saying so.

@ RyouChan Ok thanks it patched correctly but how come i cant find pigeys anymore only ratatata and hoothoot.

I think that's normal for nighttime in HG/SS, you should find some in morning or day. I believe there are no Hoothoot at all during the daytime.

For Attack Editor DS, is it supposed to look like it reset every time you change the attack you're editing?

I just need that question answered. Thanks in advanced.

Mine also returns to the top of the list every time I edit another move. I'd check the move you just changed and make sure the changes stayed. As I have nothing to do with the tool's development, I am not sure if that is the intended behavior, but for me it did seem to save the moves correctly.

Also remember that it only works with D/P and you can not directly edit the movelist out of HGSS with it.

Is it possible to merge patches at all? For example, if I started modifying my own ROM and then patched yours over it, would it completely overwrite my modifications or merge them? I'm experimenting on my own, though I don't have much available time to learn everything.

In addition to the various things I PMed you about, I noticed that the rival's team isn't really powered up enough to make him a decent threat. Considering he's the son of Giovanni, he should be much more powerful. Perhaps more variety depending on the started the player chose?

As for the ghost gym, here's my general suggestion:

Duskull [holding Leftovers] (Will-o-Wisp, Confuse Ray, Curse, Night Shade)

Ninetales (Flamethrower, Shadowball, Extrasensory, Energyball)

Gengar (Shadow Ball, Dream Eater, Dark Void, Sludge Bomb)

Frostlass (Destiny Bond, Hail, IceBeam, Shadowball)

SpiritTomb (Rest, Sleeptalk, ShadowSneak, Suckerpunch)

K I love this patch but for a newb trainer its way to difficult i mean i caught 4 guys and was lucky enough to finally beat the 1st gym but now i cant beat the team rocket guy-Proton

heres my party:

Todidile-19

Eleckid-19

Pidgy-16

Squritle-16

and the training in the grass takes a pretty long time so to get all my guys to 20 would take forever and i still probably wouldnt be able to beat him

He actually feels like a boss instead of a push-over Grunt, eh? He was challenging but fun for me. One of the goals of this hack is to present a challenge to those who know the game well.

His biggest challenge being Arbok, I suggest ganging up on it through multiple status ailments and stat reducers. Maybe have Eleckid paralyze it, allowing Pidgey to lower its accuracy, etc. I personally hope this hack continues its difficulty trend for those who find the game too easy. Good luck!

Rock Slide on Seedot? ;A;

Great hack, I've been trying to Nuzlocke through this for a while now, and I must say, Falkner's Pidgeotto is very harsh for underlevelled teams, even with a Geodude and Mareep (OR MAYBE I JUST SUCK IDK) Finally got past that (with 2 deaths) and almost had Magikarp killed by the Energy Ball Vulpix. I love the game so far (the whole catch all 493 part is awesome - though rare. I got a Shellos once and I got a Seedot this run, but I doubt I'll get much more with the Nuzlocke rules). This is the first game where I've been so paranoid about trainer battles, scared that some guy will pounce me with a high AI and an awesome Pokemon. Which also makes this the first game I've grinded so heavily [i'm getting to 25 before trying Bugsy's Gym -_-]

Hope you can finish this!

Nuzlocke run? You're crazy.

I hope to have a patch out next week with Ecruteak gym, burned tower (+rival) and the next few routes finished. What are you using at the moment btw?

Oh ok thanks for the advice,arbok is the challenge for me cuz his thunder fang is super effective against all my pokemon except elekid whos just also too easy to die

Yeah, Arbok was pretty crazy for me too, since I didn't carry anything super effective against him (or an electric resist) in my first run. It sure felt good when I beat him though!

Nuzlocke run? You're crazy.

Thanks! 8D

I hope to have a patch out next week with Ecruteak gym, burned tower (+rival) and the next few routes finished. What are you using at the moment btw?

Awesome. If you mean my patch it's the latest version w/ AP. If you mean my emulator I'm playing on my actual DS with my flashcard.

EDIT: And if by any chance you meant my team;

Lv 20 Cyndaquil

Lv 20 Gyarados

Lv 20 Spinarak

Lv 20 Seedot

Lv 20 Geodude

Lv 20 Hoothoot

Yeah, Arbok was pretty crazy for me too, since I didn't carry anything super effective against him (or an electric resist) in my first run. It sure felt good when I beat him though!

Hopefully my Graveller can do something about the Arbok >_>

Haha, yeah, I meant your team.

I'm surprised a Magikarp survived long enough to become Gyarados.

Rock types are Arbok's ONE TRUE WEAKNESS.

3 days of grinding :'D I'm not really sure if it was worth it xD

Now to make sure Geodude doesn't die whilst grinding :c I'll keep that last statement in mind... forever.

Is it possible to merge patches at all? For example, if I started modifying my own ROM and then patched yours over it, would it completely overwrite my modifications or merge them? I'm experimenting on my own, though I don't have much available time to learn everything.

In addition to the various things I PMed you about, I noticed that the rival's team isn't really powered up enough to make him a decent threat. Considering he's the son of Giovanni, he should be much more powerful. Perhaps more variety depending on the started the player chose?

As for the ghost gym, here's my general suggestion:

Duskull [holding Leftovers] (Will-o-Wisp, Confuse Ray, Curse, Night Shade)

Ninetales (Flamethrower, Shadowball, Extrasensory, Energyball)

Gengar (Shadow Ball, Dream Eater, Dark Void, Sludge Bomb)

Frostlass (Destiny Bond, Hail, IceBeam, Shadowball)

SpiritTomb (Rest, Sleeptalk, ShadowSneak, Suckerpunch)

I totally missed this post.

Er, it depends on what you wanted to do, but the patch contains only the data needed to go between the clean unpatched ROM and exactly what I edited it to. Results are not necessarily predictable if you "stack" patches.

If you wanted to use mine but edit a few more things, I'd suggest editing directly from your fully patched version of mine and making the patch from that. If you want only part of what I edited, that's a bit more complicated and you'd probably be better off doing only the edits you want on your own copy. Unless you only want the move edits or something simple like that, all contained in one file. Then you'd use nitroexplorer, find out what file the things you want to change are on (this is the hard part as I don't even know a lot of them :D ) and extract it from mine and replace the version in yours... It'd be kind of annoying though as you would not really be able to upgrade as the hack progresses. Not sure, I'd probably recommend waiting if you still want to be able to update patch it. The patches are somewhat specific and basically only contain "replace exactly this with exactly this" sorts of datumz.

I sort of glossed over the rival on my first go-through, really only raising his levels at the battle that's right after Bugsy and not otherwise doing much. It's placeholder for now as I am not sure I want to change any of his Pokemon. At least species. The battle in burned tower is currently edited (only on my copy, not in a release version) to have more customized movesets.

I totally forgot Froslass existed. I like her. I am not sure how competent the AI is at properly utilizing things like Destiny Bond. Even relatively decent AI settings sometimes do really dumb things with moves that are a bit more arcane and predictive in use. I'll have to test that a few times. I was already using a Spiritomb. Great Pokemon. He does still have his signature Gengar as well. He should definitely have all 6 slots filled.

Edit: Pachirisu is going to be available as of next time (1% rare somewhere obviously) so I decided I'd make him.. okay.

"Pachirisu has gained a boost to HP and Attack at the cost of some of its unnecessary Special Defense. It now has the abilities Cute Charm and Serene Grace instead of Pickup and Run Away. I wouldn't call it a good Pokemon, but I wouldn't say it's unusuable. It gets some new moves as level up, like Tickle, Seed Bomb, Hyper Fang, elemental fangs.. Even Volt Tackle if you're crazy enough to level one to 54."

It has huge teeth, so I gave it the fangs and some other stuff.

Edited by RyouChan

• 2 months later...

@RyouChan So I am loving this patch. I've reached Ecruteak city and am looking forward to further worked on it. I was just wondering if it is still being worked on. I've only been watching for a week which i know isn't long but like i said i love this mod. So if ya could maybe get back to me I'd really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there all. I've been away for a while, and have found out A LOT of new things while I was gone.

I went back and have been fixing up a few early game things and...

LOTS of move edits have happened in the meantime.

I am actually currently preparing a new patch. I know it's been forever!

A LOT OF THINGS have changed. Like tons.

I finally got off my lazy butt and figured out how to edit text descriptions of moves so some moves have undergone more drastic changes in effect now that I'm able to change the description to more accurately describe them. This has lead to changing a lot of hyper beam-type and OHKO moves into more interesting things that suck less.

Examples:

-Pursuit is now a Dark type "Quick Attack" move.

-Sheer Cold is now an Ice type Overheat move.

-Rock Wrecker is now a Rock type Outrage.

-Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn, and Frenzy Plant are now all 100 base power 100 accuracy moves that do not require a recharge turn. They have additional effects (10% chance) of lowering opponent's special defense, causing a burn, and causing a flinch, respectively.

There are many more and bear in mind that not all of the text is edited yet. I want to get as much done as possible before posting a new patch but it is COMING, I promise! I'm currently editting route 40 as we speak and doing Chuck and Jasmine's teams.

As a sidenote.. If you feel like exp is particularly slow during a specific part of the game and you're falling behind a lot, PM me the number of Pokemon you're using, what part of the game it is, and which wild Pokemon you feel are too low level to provide reasonable exp. As only a few people have playtested, exp is not quite balanced yet and your experiences will vary wildly depending on your choice of Pokemon, how many total Pokemon you're using, and your general playstyle.

Ex: Someone like me who tends to only use 4 Pokemon or so might be way ahead in exp compared to someone who uses all 6 all the time. Thanks.

Edited by RyouChan

• 2 weeks later...