PokeSav vs PokeGen

kerfun

I have a question about pokegen; is it possible to make the game think that a pokemon you made you caught yourself? I ask because I am in the second town, have no badges, and would like to make all forms of all 649 pokemon to play around with. I know, big project, but it was extremely fun to do it with platinum. I ask because I don't want a level 100 magikarp not obeying me. It would look pretty bad. :)

You would have to ensure that the Pokemon's original trainer name, id, and secret id all match your own.

STBE and Codr, both of you should all realize; as well as everyone else here, that everyone has different opinions and tastes for everything.

it's just that we all cannot please everyone in the whole world. some people like Pokésav, some people like Pokégen... hell, some people like both equally and use both. it is all of what both programs can do and what features that they provide.

just look of what both Pokégen and Pokésav can do on their own and compare.

Pokésav

1. Pro - can edit events
  2. Pro - can do almost everything within a save file
  3. Con - uses big windows

Pokégen

1. Pro - uses small windows and also uses tabs
  2. Pro - has better Pokédex editing features
  3. Con - mainly does Pokémon editing

those are the ones I can think of for the time being.

so it really comes down to this decision for everyone...

which would be best to suit your needs, or would you use both equally?

think about it.

- Soldjermon

• 4 weeks later...

I used Pokesav for some time, but I struggled to understand it fully (forgive me, I am an old fart) and I have downloaded Pokegen but so far all I've done is open it, freak out at how different it looks to what I (barely) know from Pokesav, then closed it again.

• 1 month later...

ive used both, pokesav does have a more user friendly interface, but pokegen does a smarter job of filling in tedious info, to make pokemon look legit. this said, didnt pokesav have an option to change other things besides just your pokemon? which pokegen doesnt seem to have (yet?)

edit: by user friendly, i mean easier for someone whos never used it to pick it up and start messing around

I think that, like Soldjermon says, everyone has their own opinions of both programs. I'm one of the ones who use both programs, but for different reasons.

I use PokeSav to add the Events into my game, while I use PokeGen to make pokemon to battle online with.

Sure, PokeSav has different options to edit more than just pokemon, like the Events and items etc, but while making Pokemon with PokeSav, it doesn't fully help a user when making one like PokeGen does. PokeGen is by far the better Pokemon making tool, Codr has done a spectacular job in making it, plus it is updated regularly and he takes in user opinions. Not slanting COM's work with PokeSav because that tool has helped hundred of people, but in my opinion, in terms of making Pokemon only, PokeGen wins hands down.

It has a very friendly UI and is pretty basic to understand how to use it, for example, moving the arrow over something like the nature brings up every nature and which stats are helped and hindered. Now if PokeSav was to have more features like this, then perhaps my opinion would be altered, but for now, I'm sticking with Codr's program.

The reasons we no longer support it:

Programmed by a japanese person, while gen is from Codr. Updates fix problems.

Pokesav does not handle 5th gen pkms correctly (220).

Nobody needs item/name editing every time they view their file

Not translated, so no translating errors

Pokegen can pokeshift properly

The only thing gen can't do that most users need is the event editor. Pokegen = pokemon generator. I use pokestock for my wondercards. Pokestock is superior to sav anyways with its entralink and skin editor.

• 1 month later...

I use PokeGen to do most of the editing, I switch to PokeSav to finish if need be, which is only for changing the Pokemon's OT IDs and adding wonder cards. Mystery Gift Editor's not working for me, which won't start all the time.

I'm using PokeGen mainly to get used to it, I prefer PokeSav's UI but PokeGen has better features.

Also, can I get a link for Pokestock?

People complain about the ui of Pokegen, But Honestly I like in i a sense that it is compact and to be honest really easy to use. consider that i indeed i once used pokesav before and ended up with really bad pokemon even some transforming to bad eggs. transitioning from pokesav to pokegen is a breeze. Pokegen can handle pokemon data very well. i guess the reason why poeple love pokesav is because it was well designed for users who loves to have 999 items including event items and has large voice to complain and loves to think that 999 stats for all fields are possible (just my opinion). Pokegen vs Pokesav in terms of handling pokemon data is miss match . Pokegen is far more superior than pokesav . Pokesav plus Pokestock= complete tool for generation v games