PokeSav vs PokeGen

kerfun

So i've been looking around a lot of threads, and i'm seeing that people reccomend PokeGen over PokeSav. The thing is, i'm having trouble saving my created pokemon onto the save file. And everytime i try to work on a new pokemon, my old pokemon edits are gone D:

Would it be okay if i just used pokegen for the PID/IV generator. I think that it's much better than PokeSav's PID/IV generator.

Or is there a different way to save on pokeGen?

• 1 month later...
I agree, in my opinion, PokeGen is much more user friendlu

They have nice sprites, and it's more colorful

Though PokeGen can't do some of the things PokeSav can do, it suits my needs better.

How can PokeGen not do some things that PokeSav can? If so, why not just save the file on PokeGen when done, then finish up on PokeSav?

• 1 month later...

Ignoring the fact that this is randomly posted in a thread that's somewhat old...

I must say, PokeGen's UI is very confusing for a first time user.
PokeGen may be superior in what it does, but, honestly, it's UI is horrible.

Details would be nice.

I have tried Pokesav, but it is too confusing for me. I am able to use Pokegen.

I might like the aspects of getting some pokemon as a gift ftom the green man at the pokemart or at the super store, but I am unable to really do it.

I pretty much can only do pokegen, and sidestep the green guy.

If I need the green guy to show up, I have to make a request from someone who can do pokesav.

@ Codr

Maybe "horrible" was a bit too harsh. It actually took me a few days to realize how to "set" Pokémon. I found this to be odd. It has also screwed me over a few times (edited a *pkm, but since it was not "set", I end up overwriting the *.pkm with the "set" one). Aside from that, PokeGen is also cramped. A maximize feature would be wonderful... It's too bad it doesn't have one. The tabs are alright, I suppose. It just makes navigation a bit more tedious.

PPSE by far had the best UI. Looked like a Box and everything. Something similar to that or like an actual stat page in-game would be great. ~STBE

It actually took me a few days to realize how to "set" Pokémon. I found this to be odd.

I agree that this isn't exactly intuitive, but I'm not prepared to completely redesign the program again. At least not yet.

PokeGen is also cramped.
This is personal preference. Yours is in the minority from what I've seen. Also, what exactly is negative about a compact design? I don't understand. It's like you get easily confused or something and can't handle reading text that has other UI elements even remotely close to it.
A maximize feature would be wonderful... It's too bad it doesn't have one.
It will if the language UI changes are ever implemented, but it'll look idiotic, as any large dialog with huge controls does.
The tabs are alright, I suppose. It just makes navigation a bit more tedious.
Compared to 500 dialogs that're all so huge that you can't even have them side by side? Interesting.
PPSE by far had the best UI. Looked like a Box and everything.
You have to be kidding me. You're talking about a program that presents you with some completely awkward dialog with obviously no design thought put into it whatsoever. It also has tabs (Don't forget, tabs make navigation DIFFICULT!) for the Pokedex, which aren't even using the native Windows UI design. The box display is absolutely no different than PokeGen's, aside from the fact that it's using a background image...

I honestly never used the 'Dex section in PPSE. I used it for Pokémon editing. The edit window in PPSE was great. It looked somewhat similar to a stat page for in-game. The copy of PPSE on the site doesn't have the edit feature. Greencat gave me (and a couple other people, IIRC) a un-released beta that has it. I'll provide a screenshot when I get to my laptop. ~STBE

EDIT:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc160/Link_PWNS_Cloud/mypointis.png

Edited by SmellTheBurningEmber
Added a link to what I'm talking about.

The edit window in PPSE was great. It looked somewhat similar to a stat page for in-game.

Guess what I see? Tabs. Wasted space. Excessively large controls. Extra detail that PokeGen simply doesn't have added. However, I do have to agree that it has a certain appeal to it. At the same time, the way PokeGen is packed with information in such a small space is maybe more appealing. It's certainly more convenient to more people from what I've seen, including myself.

Sure, I could add even more images and detail on items, attacks, Pokemon, etc, but it just bloats the file size (not that that's particularly important, though) and increases the size of the dialog needlessly. Don't forget that people use it on laptops and small monitors. These have lower resolutions, resulting in less pixel space for the window to fit in.

Edit: Btw, even though I mostly disagree with you on this, having discussions like this does help to fuel my interest in continuing working on it, which is appreciated.

lol No problem. To put it simply, PPSE is more appealing visually to me. I'm not trying to slander your program; PokeGen is fantastic. I just sort of laugh at compat design. I mean, shouldn't we try and encourage people with a 800 by 600 screen to upgrade? Seriously. My computer is almost 6 or 7 years old and it has a 1400 by 1050 display. ~STBE

I just sort of laugh at compat design. I mean, shouldn't we try and encourage people with a 800 by 600 screen to upgrade?

This isn't about trying to force people to upgrade their computers. My reasoning was never even based AT ALL on the thought of people with low resolutions, in fact. It just happens to be a valid point for using small dialogs. Making them small is simply how I've always done it and I see no reason to change that.

I usually have a few pixels between textboxs so they're a bit more distinguishable

I'm not sure how the differing text and x/y positions aren't enough to distinguish one thing from another.

Btw, there's a signature feature.

I feel as if I was vague about what I meant. When I say PPSE UI > PG UI, don't take it to astronomical proportions. What's a good way to put it...? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the greatest, PPSE is a 9.5 while PokeGen is about a 8.7. As for Pokesav... Eh. I've used it for at least 3 years now. I'm way too used to it's UI to give it a proper score.

On a side note, I regret saying PokeGen's UI is "horrible". I just have to warm up to it a little bit longer, that's all. ~STBE

don't take it to astronomical proportions

It's not that I'm necessarily trying to "defend" it (although I am to a degree), it's more that I want to understand why some people think that huge dialogs with lots of wasted space are noteworthily better.

• 5 months later...

I have a question about pokegen; is it possible to make the game think that a pokemon you made you caught yourself? I ask because I am in the second town, have no badges, and would like to make all forms of all 649 pokemon to play around with. I know, big project, but it was extremely fun to do it with platinum. I ask because I don't want a level 100 magikarp not obeying me. It would look pretty bad. :)