Changing attacks causes wifi rejection

WerewolfOfTheWater

So I figured out two reasons why my edited mons were getting rejected from random wifi battles and the GTS.

One was because of their name, having invalid characters in the name made them get rejected, something that accidentally happened due to a bug in pokegen causing trainer names and nicknames to not load right when viewing data...it would cause my pokemon's trainer names to go totally blank sometimes, something I fixed just by using pokesav instead. And if you're using an english patch, you have to nickname all your pokemon in-game.

The other is attacks. I can edit IVs, EVs, nature and ability freely, but no matter if I use pokesav or pokegen, changing a move gets the pokemon rejected, always.

So I'm wondering if there's any way to figure out how we could change a pokemon's move without it becoming illegal and getting rejected on wifi, if there's some value you haven't found yet that changes when a move changes, that you could program to change correctly when changing a move?

I can confirm this. I used pokegen 3.0b15 to create a "pokeshifted" empoleon from a japanese heartgold that had the moves ice punch, waterfall, earthquake and swords dance. if the pokemon had ice punch on it, it would be rejected, thus being unable to battle. if I remove ice punch, which is a Pt/HG/SS move tutor move, and replace it by shadow claw, which is a 5th gen TM move, it's accepted and it can battle. It seems that 4th gen move tutor moves are not allowed in random wi-fi.

I include my 2 empoleons that I used for testing. They are 136-byte files, saved with pokegen.

empoleon-not-allowed.pkm

empoleon-allowed.pkm

empoleon-not-allowed.pkm

empoleon-allowed.pkm

something that accidentally happened due to a bug in pokegen causing trainer names and nicknames to not load right when viewing data...it would cause my pokemon's trainer names to go totally blank sometimes

I really think the only way this is happening is if your Pokemon data is invalid.

And if you're using an english patch, you have to nickname all your pokemon in-game.

The character map is available now.

if there's some value you haven't found yet that changes when a move changes, that you could program to change correctly when changing a move?

There's not.

I can confirm this. I used pokegen 3.0b15 to create a "pokeshifted" empoleon from a japanese heartgold that had the moves ice punch, waterfall, earthquake and swords dance. if the pokemon had ice punch on it, it would be rejected, thus being unable to battle. if I remove ice punch, which is a Pt/HG/SS move tutor move, and replace it by shadow claw, which is a 5th gen TM move, it's accepted and it can battle. It seems that 4th gen move tutor moves are not allowed in random wi-fi.

I include my 2 empoleons that I used for testing. They are 136-byte files, saved with pokegen.

probably cause it can't learn ice punch

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/395.shtml

if you are using migrated pokemon do not forget moves that can be acquired from Colosseum/xd gale of darkness (some moves cant be combined with egg moves (not sure if it will be rejected if you don't))

not true at all. the only way changing an attack will get you disqualified is if you add an egg move to a not-hatched poke, 4th gen tutor to 5th gen-bred poke, etc.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?11680-What-is-Valid-and-Invalid-on-Random-Wifi-Pokemon-B-W

i've fixed a few pokes for people over at gbatemp with problems just like this. it's the translation/people screwing up their pokes. likely the latter.

probably cause it can't learn ice punch

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/395.shtml

if you are using migrated pokemon do not forget moves that can be acquired from Colosseum/xd gale of darkness (some moves cant be combined with egg moves (not sure if it will be rejected if you don't))

the random wifi servers are actually very smart about checking for proper combinations of moves.

Not sure about 'making' shifted pokemons, but if you're going to make egg move pokemon, best way i found to do it was

pokesav/gen a male and female of the same pokemon you want with the same moves, get a proper egg in game, then just edit the stats when it hatches. use pokesav to edit the steps left.

and make sure that the proper egg conditions are filled in (for some reason pokegen didn't do it right, unless i missed something. i had to do it in pokesav. [using older version. updating now though.]

I added a 5th gen egg move to a hatched poke and still got rejected...I added roost to a pokemon that learns it by level up and still got rejected..there has to be something else.

I also never make pokemon from scratch, I only ever edit legit ones that I actually hatched in-game.

I usually edit the egg steps so it's an insta-hatch when I take a step, and edit their IVs, EVs, nature, and attacks, but editing attacks gets me rejected. I even do the PID finder thing.

is it at lv 20 and does it learn it at lv 35?

in other-words is it too young to have that attack legally?

Nope, I always beef my bred pokemon up to level 80 with pokesav/gen, and use a rare candy or two on them to evolve them if necessary. (just good enough to outclass all the in-game trainers but still be challenging)

My process goes sorta like this...

I breed a pokemon I caught or obtained legitimately with a ditto. If it's a legendary, I clone it with pokesav/gen. The original pokemon remains unaltered and used for trading fodder. (That way I can edit mons but still have legit ones to trade to people who don't want hacks)

After I get an egg/clone, I then edit the offspring/clone...I reduce the egg steps so it hatches fast, I change its IVs, nature, EVs, level, hold item, and (if it didn't get them rejected) attacks. I also run the PID generator thingy to get a "legal" pokemon after I do the edits.

I also always clone/edit from within the boxes and not my party.

That way I always get pokemon as legal as possible but also beefed up for battling.

I never make pokemon from scratch or anything, I always edit existing ones, clones of legit ones, or eggs. (ensures I don't end up with mons I have no pokedex entry for)