Action Replay / Pokemon Black and White Version (JPN) Incompatability Discussion

Forum: RAM

Discuss topics pertaining to RAM of Pokémon Games (Includes AR Codes and the like)

The purpose of this thread is to:

1) explain why you can't use your Action Replay with your brand new Pokemon Black or White Version (JPN) Cart

2) direct everybody to the people who can actually fix the problem

3) let everybody know how to fix it *as soon as Datel releases the fix for it*

A lot of people have been confused about why they can't use any AR Codes (or even boot the game with an AR for that matter) with their new legit cart. Many of them (including myself) have been spamming up the code thread seeking help and answers, so I think it's a good idea to divert that discussion here.

The Problem:

You know you have the correct Game ID and Codes for Pokemon Black or White Version (JPN) in your ARDS. You put your ARDS in your DS Lite. You turn the DS on and the White ARDS Firmware screen pops up like normal. The ARDS detects your version of the game like normal and you select the codes you want. You then press the big Green START aaaaaaaaaand...... it fades to white but the game never starts. This is the specific problem we're talking about here. Trust me, it's not just you. People all around the world are experiencing the exact same problems as you. However, if you're having a different problem, you'll need to ask elsewhere. This isn't a code-fix/request thread, or a Rom/emu help thread. This is just for the discussion of the incompatibility between the physical, legit Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN) and physical Action Replays on physical carts.

Research:

As soon as I got my copy of Pokemon Black Version (JPN) in, I started testing this problem right away. I verified that the problem actually existed by following the steps I described above (I already had all the codes in my ARDS in preparation). I got the results I (and countless others) described. As soon as I saw that it was real, I double and triple checked the Game ID and all the codes that I had in it. They were all right. The Game ID and the Codes were not the problem. I then took the AR out and stuck the cart (Pokemon Black Version (JPN) in by itself. The game started up just fine with no problems. The Cartridge itself was not broken. I then put my Pokemon Pearl Version (ENG) into my ARDS and that into my DSLite, and started it up, selected the codes I wanted, etc. It all worked fine too. The ARDS was not broken either. I then stuck my Pokemon Heart Gold Version (JPN) into my DS. It booted up just fine as well. It definitely wasn't an issue with Region Lock.

After that I did a little more internet research. It turns out that:

1) Datel (the maker of Action Replay) has several videos showing them using what are obviously Action Replay DSs (1, 2) and Action Replay DSis (1, 2) on Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN). So obviously Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN) can be compatable with Action Replay DS.

2) However, if you'll notice at least in the ARDS Vids (I'm not familiar with ARDSi because I don't have one) the Firmware Version in the video is 1.71. The most recent ARDS Firmware released to date is 1.60.

3) The Japanese version of the ARDS, known as the ARDS Max 3, required an update to play Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN).

4) Copied straight from codejunkies.com's description of the ARDSi: "Like previous versions of Action Replay, Action Replay DSi* is fully updateable, so you don't need to buy a new one when new games are released; just update your Action Replay over the internet using the PC app supplied. You can also enter codes manually using Action Replay's virtual keyboard. Our code creators are always hard at work on the latest DS titles, so even the very latest games will be trained and tamed within hours of hitting the shelves."

Conclusion:

Honestly, we still don't fully understand what the problem is. It's not the Action Replay, it's not the game, it's not the Game ID, and it's not the codes though. I suspect it has something to do with the firmware version of Action Replay that we're all currently using, but only the Code Junkies team can definitively answer that. However, we do know for a fact that Action Replay and Pokemon Black and White Versions absolutely can be compatible, but at this point in time, hundreds, if not thousands of people around the world are all experiencing this same problem. Which is where YOU come in!

What You Can Do About It:

Don't bother asking for help in the forums here. While the leaders here are skilled and intelligent, the people we need to focus our attention on to solve this problem is the team at codejunkies.com. They know Action Replays inside and out and without their help we'll never see this fixed.

1) Fill out a Contact Form at codejunkies.com's help section. HERE FOR NORTH AMERICA or HERE FOR EUROPE. Please, include as much descriptive information as you can. Make sure to include whether you're using an ARDS, ARDSi, or whatever, what cartridge you're using (along with the Game ID found ON the cart itself), what system you're using (DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL) the game ID, any codes you're using, and a detailed description of the problem (like I detailed above).

2) Email them yourself at Support@DatelDesign.com. Include as much descriptive information as you can. Make sure to include whether you're using an ARDS, ARDSi, or whatever, what cartridge you're using (along with the Game ID found ON the cart itself), what system you're using (DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL) the game ID, any codes you're using, and a detailed description of the problem (like I detailed above).727-431-0650 (US is free), 866-557-5596 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************866-557-5596******end_of_the_skype_highlighting (Canada I believe is free too), 0906 550 1236 (UK, apparently costs 1$ per minute or something)

4) Tell anyone you know with an AR and B/W who is experiencing this problem about this thread, and what they can do to fix it.

5) Fill out a "Service Ticket" on Datel's Customer Service site (it's different than their codejunkies site).

I would suggest doing all four of these things, not just one, in order to put as much pressure on them to fix this as is possible. If they don't think this is much of an issue, they might let it slide.

As soon as a fix is released, or codejunkies replies to any of my emails/phonecalls, I'll make sure to update the OP.

Oh, and feel free to post if you are experiencing this problem. That way we can have a contact list for when the fix is released. It might be helpful if you can list what cart you're using, what system, and what firmware version of Action Replay DS or Action Replay DSi or whatever, you're experiencing this problem with too.

[EDIT]

According to user Darkened Earth, Datel has responded to several of his emails asking about the problem. In them Datel says they are working on an update to fix the problem. That sounds a lot like what they had to do for Japan, and is a very good sign.

[EDIT, HUUUUUUUUUGE UPDATE]

User Ste619 first noted and posted a link to a fix for this problem for newer ARDSi's. This fix is (as we expected) a firmware upgrade that makes the ARDSi compatable with Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN). This fix does not work for older ARDSi's that do not have the micro-SD slot, or for ARDS's or for any other Action Replay. Just the newer ARDSi's.

We don't have any word yet on wether or not Datel will be releasing a fix for older and other AR models, but it's likely. If you do not have a newer ARDSi, it's imperative that you contact Datel US and/or Datel UK from the various methods listed above and ask them if and or when they will be releasing a similar firmware upgrade for older and other AR models.

[edit, almost final edit]

Those effing @!*#%&@#$!! They said they wouldn't be releasing ARDS Firmware 1.71 till March 2011 so I went out and bought an ARDSi...

ARDS Firmware 1.71 (Works With Black and White).

Edited by kbrown

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for putting this thread out there kbrown. As you know, I have already emailed DATEL and codejunkies many times about this issue and I am beginning to call them as well. Hopefully all of our efforst as well as some of the members here will help to push DATEL to fix this annoying issue.

I edited it into the OP, but one person finally got confirmation back from Datel that it is infact the Version Firmware for everybody's AR that will need updating, and that they are working on a fix. It's still imperative that anybody who is experiencing this problem email, fill out a problem form, and even call them to let them know that this problem is widespread.

Thanks!

[edit]

I just found yet another way to get a hold of Datel. They have a separate customer service site with a very different way to get a hold of them. It's called a "Service Ticket" which gives you a number you can use on their website that lets you know how far along they are at looking into the problem and what's been done so far. I edited a link to the form into the OP in the "what you can do" section. Might be the best way so far to get a hold of them. *DOH! forgot to call them AGAIN today!! >_?*

Edited by kbrown

Same here Chaosblazer. The problem may be that the user who forwarded that email was in contact with Datel of UK. We all just got that response from Datel of US. Don't take that as a final answer. Keep messaging them back. With enough pestering, they'll get off their lazy a**** and release the same fix they released in Japan.

Same here Chaosblazer. The problem may be that the user who forwarded that email was in contact with Datel of UK. We all just got that response from Datel of US. Don't take that as a final answer. Keep messaging them back. With enough pestering, they'll get off their lazy a**** and release the same fix they released in Japan.

was your response the following?

"Unfortunately, since Pokémon Black & White have yet to be released in the United States, official U.S. codes for these games have not yet been released. Codes from other sources are to be used at your own risk and are not supported for use with the Action Replay.

Following the U.S. release of these games, please check www.codejunkies.com for codes, firmware updates or any other information regarding the use of these games with the Action Replay."

And is that from the UK or US person?

Yeah, that's the same response that I and many others got from Datel US. However, Datel UK is saying that they're working on a fix now. I've already responded to their email, and I suggest that you, and anyone else reading this do the same. Here's what I sent:

Here's the problem with that. At the bottom of the US Codejunkies site, there's a lil button that says "Share and Interact" that has a youtube symbol. Click it and it takes you to codejunkiesTV, where your company has at least 4 videos (1, 2, 3, 4) advertising that the ARDS and ARDSi are compatable with what is quite obviously pokemon Black and White (JPN). Your site is advertising that the US Action Replays are compatable with Japanese Pokemon Black and White versions, when they are not. I would not have bought pokemon Black Version (JPN) had I known that Datel of USA would not be willing to release the same fix that was released by Datel of Japan. If this is going to be your company's policy, I think I would probably be much better off spending my money on flashcarts from other companies and ditching my AR. All my firends are playing away on the roms using AR Codes right now, but those of us that put our faith in Datel of USA are sidelined until March 2011 according to you. So much for "Our code creators are always hard at work on the latest DS titles, so even the very latest games will be trained and tamed within hours of hitting the shelves."

I found this site from google, and I must say this thread has been incredibly helpful. I have reached Datel US from all 4 available methods. However I have problems with their phone hotline, for some reason it doesn't think that when I press "1 for Nintendo DS" that 1 is a valid number to press. And all of their other phone numbers also had something wrong with the automated system. But I will try whatever I can to get a response from them so that they hopefully release that firmware 1.71 that we see in those videos so we too can use our Action Replay DS for our Pokemon Black and White (JPN) games.

I emailed Datel US about a week ago and got the same response a lot of people got:

Unfortunately, since Pokémon Black & White have yet to be released in the United States, official U.S. codes for these games have not yet been released. Codes from other sources are to be used at your own risk and are not supported for use with the Action Replay.

Following the U.S. release of these games, please check www.codejunkies.com for codes, firmware updates or any other information regarding the use of these games with the Action Replay.

I also emailed Datel UK today. Hopefully I'll get a response soon.

They replied to my email:

"Thank you for your recent enquiry we are able to confirm that your Action Replay will require a firmware update which we are hoping to release in the near future. Once the firmware update is made available it will be downloadable using the provided Code Manager PC software.

Regards,

Daniel Leese

Technical Support"

Weird. It worked on my US ARDSI.

Nevermind, I got it to work. The problem was overlooked the part in directions that said to drop the update within the grey bar located at the top of the DSi Action Replay Code Manager PC software, I was just dropping randomly on the right side of the code manager.

I'm sure they probably will release a fix for older ARs. They have vids of them using ARDS's on their youtube channel. They probably are just getting all their ducks in a row you know?

[edit]

Well, my old ARDS was wigging out on me every now and then. I've actually lost more than one RNG because my ARDS would slip out before I could save it after confirming the IVs. So I went out and bought a US ARDSi. I can confirm that after downloading the fix available from the US site, the US ARDSi is compatable with Pokemon Black Version (JPN) on my US DS Lite.

THANK YOU SWEET JESUS!!!

As for those of you with older ARDSi's or other AR versions, hang in there and CONTINUE to spam Datel US and Datel UK with contacts (linked in the OP) asking when (NOT "IF") they're going to release fixes for older versions. They've got 2 videos of them using old ARDS with B/W, so you KNOW they've got a fix for it. :P

Edited by kbrown

First post - thought i'd share, since this thread has been a wealth of information to me - I have an ARDS, and I emailed Datel about it the other day, specifying that I had an ARDS.

I got a reply:

Thank you for your recent enquiry we are able to confirm that you will require a firmware update which we are hoping to release very soon. Once the firmware update is made available it will be downloadable using the provided Code Manager PC software.